Save your dog?

This is a discussion on Save your dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by nosights In no way is my dog more important than human life...even if that human is a scumbag at the moment. I ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Save your dog?

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    In no way is my dog more important than human life...even if that human is a scumbag at the moment. I am not going to deny the BG the chance at redemtion if my leaving meant he was more likely to die. I am not saying that I will give him mouth to mouth or anything like that I am just stating that although I love my dog he is not even close in importance to me to human life. My dog has no soul...when he dies he goes in the ground and stays there.

My dog is "like" family...it saving him causes me to spend one additional minute in jail, then that is time I am not there for my actual family. I am not trying to offend others about their love for their pets.
    What about the future "human" victims this crimminal will victimize. If they will kill your dog, they will kill someones children too, the next time.

2. Remove Ads

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    I tend to disagree with the fact that a dog has no soul. I was under the assumption that all living creatures, two-legged and four, have souls. As far as what I would do: more than likely I would remain on-scene and have another family member transport my four-legged-insurance-policy to the vet depending on how severe the wounds are.
    That's one part that was not mentioned here as far as I saw (I could be mistaken too), but if the dog's injuries are not so severe as to cost him/her its life then yes I would. If the dog is on its last leg (so to speak) I would more than likely accept the fact that she's not gonna make it, make sure the BG no longer poses a threat, make sure my family is not injured in any way and stay at home! I love my dogs and (because they have a soul) I know they love me! They constantly prove their mettle in keeping my home safe and because of that I believe I already owe them my life due to a couple of incidents that, without them, could have been really bad! They will get the best treatment possible if needed!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecorrigan View Post
    I tend to disagree with the fact that a dog has no soul. I was under the assumption that all living creatures, two-legged and four, have souls.
    If a "soul" is defined as "mind, emotions and will" then animals do have souls. I think the premise is that animals are different than humans because they were not created in God's image and therefore do not have a "spirit". Soul and spirit are not the same.

BTT
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

It is just to long of a story to get into the details, but I lost a dog who protected me from another dog. I had a similiar choice to make per the OP.

If I felt medical attention would more then likely save the dog, the BG was not a threat, and it would not be to great of a finicial burden, I would leave, and take the dog.

Some think I'm cold. When I buy a dog, it is always for protection (and hunting is a consideration). However I seperate my feelings toward dogs (and cats) and people.

Dogs I own have a job to do. Cats also have a job to do. In addition to their job, they better poop in the right place or they are gone.

Maybe some of you have more income then I do, but I just can't afford the emotional and financial attachment. I'm always very kind and loving to the animal while it is alive and it is healthy, but in the end, I just don't ever want to see a dog / cat suffer like I have in the past. I think people hold onto them longer then they should sometimes, and it just causes the animal to suffer.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I wouldn't care if it is legal or not !!!

I would do exactly what fernset said; no doubt.
    I had German Sheperds almost all my life, they were part of the family, they never let me down, I wouldn't either.

Sorry if you find this shocking but my dog's life is far more important than some thug breaking in my house.

I agree 100 %
    An armed citizen is a protected citizen.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

I've had 6 dogs in my life. I've loved each one. Quite honestly my dog would come first. If perp shot my dog he's not going to need medical attention. Sometimes you have to do what's right and not worry about the legal ramifications. Hopefully I'd be able to drive but that might not be case so I'd ask a neighbor to go for me.

I would go to jail for my dogs, they are members of my family same as my wife and son. I would risk my life to save them the same as the rest of my family as well. I cant imagine any jury convicting you of running your bleeding to death dog to the ER just as much as running your bleeding to death son to the ER. I hope to god I never get put in that situation though.

Whatever I'd have to do to save my dog is what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Ditto that! I know that mine will go into harm's way for me and I'm not waiting to get her treatment if things go badly. I realize and accept that the cops will be pissed, maybe really pissed. My attorney will almost certainly need sedation. It may push the DA over the edge. Hard as we try, not every situation can be covered by the laws and social conventions. I'll take my chances. If she can take one for the team, so can I.

I think a person either understands this 100% or can never begin to grasp it.
    I'm pretty much in line with tjm and agree with his line of thinking.

First, I see the only requirements to the scenario is that I am home alone and thus have no other persons present to take my dog to the vet for me.

So I assume all other factors which pertain to my particular circumstances apply. Which means I am known by every LEO in my county. I'm a tactical medic and as such I would be utilizing my tactical medic kit that I use for the SRT team to stabilize my dog and control bleeding including the use of my Celox if needed before I move her to the vet.

By the time I will be moving the dog and headed to the vet, the first deputies will more than likely be arriving on scene so I will brief them face to face and they would more than likely secure the scene and probably one will accompany me to the vet. (In the scenario the vet is only a block away.... and in my real life circumstance, only 2 blocks away)

Missouri being a castle doctrine state, a homeowner can automatically conclude that anyone making forced entry into your domicile is in fact committing a "dangerous felony" and deadly force is warranted.

If for some absurd reason the prosecutor chooses to prosecute me, I will ensure that my attorney secures the proper experts for testimony on the thought process of survivors of violent encounters in the immediate aftermath.

I will rely on testimony of experts in the psychiatric field to properly put things into perspective to the jury regarding the emotional state of one being compelled to care for and render aid to an animal which not only is part of the family but which also assisted in saving their life as compared to the psychological natural aversion towards some criminal who moments before tried to kill you and how one quite naturally ceases to see such a criminal as someone who warrants a higher level of concern.

Whatever the outcome after that, I'm prepared to deal with, but if my dog lives or dies, she is gonna know she wasn't alone or that I abandoned her.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I'll be damned if my dog dies because of an attempted robbery.
    Member of my family shot and the BG alive not a scenario I can imagine happening
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I wouldn't care if it is legal or not !!!

I would do exactly what fernset said; no doubt.
    I had German Sheperds almost all my life, they were part of the family, they never let me down, I wouldn't either.

Sorry if you find this shocking but my dog's life is far more important than some thug breaking in my house.
    My goldfish would be more important than some scumbag who decides to break into my home.

Of Course I would take my beloved dog for medical help leaving a dead scumbag to greet the police. A phone call should explain it all and let the police know what I was doing and why. If it is not...I hope my jury would be made up of dog lovers.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I would make sure the ambulance get there for the BG because I'm sure when it's time for you to spend your day in court , that issue will come up. I'm quite sure if you don't take the appropriate steps they will make you out to be a irresponsible gun owner.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

My mother in law is a dog lover like myself and she would get the call to take the dog to the vet.

I would then stay and wait for LEO and of course MY LAWYER.

(Donning asbestos suit)
    Pets are replaceable. I am not. My human family depends on me. If I'm rotting in some jail because I chose poorly, they suffer. Human vs canine--gotta go with what I spawned.

My first thought is if the BG is still alive you did not use enough rounds.... Secondly my two dogs would die for me and they would be treated with the same respect. In the event that I could not have one of my 6 neighbors that are on speed dial take them, I live less than 2 minutes from a 24 hour vet I would be on the phone with the cops drop the dog and come back on the phone the whole time, most likely I would be back before the cops would even arrive. My dog is a member of my family and in legal terms a piece of my property of which I am responsible for.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links