Save your dog? - Page 6

Save your dog?

This is a discussion on Save your dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rugergirl...If that is a Husky in your pic, you don't have to worry about your dog attacking an intruder. But they'll gladly welcome them in!...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Save your dog?

Rugergirl...If that is a Husky in your pic, you don't have to worry about your dog attacking an intruder. But they'll gladly welcome them in!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I'd bang on my neighbors' door and ask them to take my dog to the 24h e-vet, while I waited for the police to show up at my house. That way I wouldn't leave the scene, but I know my dog(s) would be in excellent hands and receiving emergency care right away.

But I'd tear apart with my bare hands anyone stupid enough to hurt my babies.

As long as the perp and any friends are totally unable to do any harm to my family, my dogs are my next priority. I'm pretty darn sure that where I live, at least one or two people out of every twelve would agree with me.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I've actually had one of our dogs get shot! It's a heart rending experience to say the least. I was home alone when it happened.

His name is Jackson.....after the shot, I left his brother to guard the house (which I left wide open with only the other dog to guard...) I scooped him up, loaded him in the farm's Jeep & drove like a mad man to the vet. Luckily the vet is only a mile away. I arrive with the dog in my arms, a pistol on my side & covered in blood.....I left a great impression......

As I said, I left the house wide open & only guarded by Jackson's brother.....I was already armed but I didn't have a cell phone or even my wallet when I headed to the vet. If I hadn't already been armed, I would not have stopped to arm myself.....I just reacted & my only thought was to save the dog......

The dog had nine pellets of 00 buck shot in him....you can see in the picture some of the damage. Today he still has 2 of the pellets still in him.

The first pic shows him on his first day back home. The second pic is about a year later, you can make out the scar on his rear leg in the second picture.

(This is also the second pet of ours that's been shot. The other pet ,a cat, I actually shot while mistaking the him for a fox....don't ask.....)
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

A thug breaking into my home is not going to need medical attention...

I do care deeply for my Rhodesian, but I can only do so much. Dare I leave the house with a thug laying in my kitchen, I don't think that would be wise...what if he has a friend waiting for his return?

I could easily get a neighbor (at any hour) to transport my canine to a 24H vet.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I've actually had one of our dogs get shot! It's a heart rending experience to say the least. I was home alone when it happened.

His name is Jackson.....after the shot, I left his brother to guard the house (which I left wide open with only the other dog to guard...) I scooped him up loaded him in the farm's Jeep & drove like a mad man to the vet. Luckily the vet is only a mile away. I arrive with the dog in my arms, a pistol on my side & covered in blood.....I left a great impression......

As I said, I left the house wide open & only guarded by Jackson's brother.....I was already armed but I didn't have a cell phone or even my wallet when I headed to the vet. If I hadn't already been armed, I would not have stopped to arm myself.....I just reacted & my only thought was to save the dog......

The dog had nine pellets of 00 buck shot in him....you can see in the picture some of the damage. Today he still has 2 of the pellets still in him.

The first pic shows him on his first day back home. The second pic is about a year later, you can make out the scar on his rear leg in the second picture.

(this is also the second pet of ours that's been shot, the other pet ,a cat, I actually shot while mistaking the him for a fox....don't ask.....)
    Goaway...

Who shot him? What happened to the shooter?
    Curious...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not leaving the house. I have a family there that may still need to be protected. The dog is a member of the family, but humans trump pets.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I'm not equating the family dog with an actual (human) member of the family, but would your actions be different if we were talking about your wife, child, etc.? You and your wife are home alone. Attack happens, BG down, she needs medic fast and driving her is faster than waiting for EMTs. Do you leave? I sure do. Wife's medical needs come before my legal ones. Do the dog's medical needs equate? I don't know if they equate to those of my wife, but I take the dog to the vet just like I would a family member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Goaway...

Who shot him? What happened to the shooter?
    Curious...

ret
    Didn't mean to leave you hanging....it was NOT a bad guy....it was a dumb one......He was shot accidentally by a neighbor......

Does anybody think if you are in that situation (using the assumptions that you are alone, threat is removed), that the responding LEOs are going to let you take the dog to the vet once they arrive on scene?.....I doubt it....at best they will allow a neighbor to do it for you, but they aren't going to let you go.......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by rteam2 View Post
    I'm not equating the family dog with an actual (human) member of the family, but would your actions be different if we were talking about your wife, child, etc.? You and your wife are home alone. Attack happens, BG down, she needs medic fast and driving her is faster than waiting for EMTs. Do you leave? I sure do. Wife's medical needs come before my legal ones. Do the dog's medical needs equate? I don't know if they equate to those of my wife, but I take the dog to the vet just like I would a family member.
    Well I will say it. For me anyway. Our dogs ARE family I like and care more about them far more than I do most human beings. If for no other reason than they are more intelligent and moral than most people. As long as I know my wife and kids are secure our Akitas take priority over property and humans I am not related to by blood or choice.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    ......Does anybody think if you are in that situation (using the assumptions that you are alone, threat is removed), that the responding LEOs are going to let you take the dog to the vet once they arrive on scene?.....I doubt it....at best they will allow a neighbor to do it for you, but they aren't going to let you go.......
    I disagree 100%.

Think about the media reporting on the incident - "Dog alerts homeowner to intruder break-in. Intruder shoots dog. Homeowner defends home and shoots intruder. Wounded dog is forced to lie there and bleed to death while officers on scene take statements."

I can't imagine a LEO forcing you to let your hero dog bleed to death, while the LEO takes a statement.

Where's Sixto when you need him? Sixto (or any other LEO's), what would you do in this situation?

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links