Save your dog?

Save your dog?

This is a discussion on Save your dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For this scenario pretend you are home alone and there is a 24h vet several blocks away. Scenario You hear someone breaking into your house ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Save your dog?

Save your dog?

For this scenario pretend you are home alone and there is a 24h vet several blocks away.

Scenario
    You hear someone breaking into your house your dog attacks and a gun fight ensues. Let pretend BG is incapacitated, you aren't injured, and in the heat of things your dog takes a round. Would you pick up you dog and rush him over to the vet while on the phone with police stating "There was an attempted robbery at said location, shots fired, send officers and ambulance. Send one officer to said pet clinic, I am the homeowner on route to vet."

I'll be damned if my dog dies because of an attempted robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    For this scenario pretend you are home

I'll be damned if my dog dies because of an attempted robbery.
    That's a tough one but considering how I feel about my dog, (part of the family), I'd get him to the vet and take the actions you have described. This assumes the perp is no longer any kind of threat. Why should my dog be denied the medical attention he needs if his life can be saved because some scumbag has tried to ruin our evening?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Interesting question. I would want to, but is it legal? I don't really know the rules for leaving the scene of a crime, even if you're not the one that commited said crime. If the BG is still alive, no. I'm going to make sure my family stays safe. If BG got up and did something, it would be my fault. If BG is dead, then I would if it's legal to do so.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I would save my dog, of course. I suspect the BG would not need any medical attention - if he were alive, then I'd find it rather difficult to leave a live BG at my home.

Is it illegal for the victim to leave the scene of a crime? I doubt it. It might look bad, however. Like you're trying to hide something?

I'd take the dog to the emergency clinic, but stay on the phone with 911. Still, I think you'd be looked at a little more closely by the DA.

jfl
    I wouldn't care if it is legal or not !!!

I would do exactly what fernset said; no doubt.
    I had German Sheperds almost all my life, they were part of the family, they never let me down, I wouldn't either.

Sorry if you find this shocking but my dog's life is far more important than some thug breaking in my house.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Always two of us, at night, shooter stays home, the other takes the dog to the vet. Hopefully that would be me, especially the the BG was the one who fired on my fur kid, he would want me out of there fast if he wasn't dead.
    Home alone to tough to call if my boy's life is at stake.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

funny thing, i was just running this through my head the other night, slightly diffrent, though, my worries were my dog running out of the house, be it after bad guys, or scared, would i go look for him. i have two dogs that are almost as important to me as my kids, id say yes, i would go to vet as long as bg is no longer able to pose a threat (dead)

This is a no-brainer. I would save my dog at all costs, unless other family members were wounded or could not come with me to the vet.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

G/F take's dog to vet, I stay to wait on L.E.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Well, I'll admit to loving my dog more than some folks will think is normal.

But to answer your question, as much as I would want to leave and take my dog to the vet, no I wouldn't. It's possible that it would cost you way more than you might imagine.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

tjm
    BG alive? What that mean?

But seriously, I'm going to the veterinary ER and I'll ask my attorney to argue that the two rolls of duct tape on the BG were a layman's attempt to keep him from bleeding out.....

I am not a dog person, but I would take a pet to the Vet-ER as soon as the perp was no longer a threat... Blood that would be all over the place would be enough to ID the perp if he got up and left...

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, I'll admit to loving my dog more than some folks will think is normal.

But to answer your question, as much as I would want to leave and take my dog to the vet, no I wouldn't. It's possible that it would cost you way more than you might imagine.
    Care to elaborate a bit?

BJC
    Anyone considered the help of neighbors? Since it is probably not legal to leave the scene, I would call one of my neighbors and ask them to take my vehicle and dog to the vet for me till I can get things cleared up with the police.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links