Drawing on a gun, thoughts ... - Page 2

Drawing on a gun, thoughts ...

This is a discussion on Drawing on a gun, thoughts ... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd really hate to post my intended tactics and have some hair ball read it and know what I was trying to do... you know, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawing on a gun, thoughts ...

VIP Member
    I'd really hate to post my intended tactics and have some hair ball read it and know what I was trying to do... you know, it'd be my luck that it would get around.

That said, I too have thought about that possibility and I also have a plan.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by laguna0seca View Post
    This is a good idea. Though i wonder how a jury would look at this tactic?
    "The jury" would much prefer you be full of holes and dead or in ICU. There have been lots of lawyer posts recently. Let's get a grip- the objective is to survive. Cop or civvie, good shoot or bad, you are very likely to be involved in a civil suit (unless one is fortunate enough to live in a no-bill, no-liability state). Period. End of story.

Lots of Ayoob fans talk about gun mods, etc., etc.. Ayoob has never published a case, that I have read or heard of, where modification of a firearm (or a throwdown wallet was used) resulted in conviction, where some other illegal act was not performed.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Given the choice, I'd prefer not to be shot at all. I suggest going for cover first, or at least concealment (even if it's in plain sight), and dive or roll to to get to it, preferably at an angle not in line with the shooter (whether oblique or acute doesn't matter). The point is, do the best you can not to get shot, first - and as you're doing that, or immediately thereafter, get out your own gun, take careful aim and THEN shoot.

Having a gun in your hand does not make you invulnerable.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

I was trained to move and then pour ammo into the bad guy. That's how I practice, too. Thankfully, I can practice at home because most ranges won't let one "play" in a 180 degree circle.
    I would expect the bad guy to have a gun or knife out - the problem with being the defender is that you're always late to the fight, so make sure that you do your best to overcome that lateness and then attack completely. My intent is to shoot the bad guy all the way to the ground. If I get hit, hopefully I survive. If I die, then I'm dead and it doesn't matter.

I subscribe, wholeheartedly, to the "hope I never have to" philosophy, but in the event that I am accosted by a gun wielding BG. I will give him a wide berth and hope I go unnoticed. However, should he put us both in the unfortunate circumstance of POINTING his roscoe at your's truly, in an area of confined space, where retreat is not an option... At that point, IMHO, the die is cast and I can pretty much gurantee you that someone will be coming down with "lead-poisoning" and if it turns out to be me (perish the thought)... I assure you, they'll find an empty 642 in my hand.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I agree......at this point what more do you have to loose? How to do it? Fake a move to the left, and go to the right? Throwing out a distraction? Start talking and babbling in strange tongues? But yes.....in certain circumstances, I'd draw on a gun drawn on me with evil intentions.
    How to do it, Ram Rod? Right up the middle. Right up the middle.

Sergeant Mac said there are only four responses to imminent threat: 1) Submit, 2) Run, 3) Posture, 4) Fight. Facing a muzzle, the fight is on, and my target is in for as quick and rude awakening as I can give!
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I would most likely get shot in the a--! But being serious I think it depends on a lot of factors to say what you would do in a real situation like that. There are many variables. We have all heard others say they would do this and that, but the fact remains until it really happens to you, you don't know. A police officer friend on mine that is trained for this very thing stopped a suspicious vehicle, as he started to get out of his patrol car the driver of the other car got out and started shooting at him with a handgun. My friend just froze and could not react at all. Lucky for him the back up officer was able to fire and hit the bad guy to stop the attack. So like I said we all like to think we would do what we have to, but you never know.

I have a friend who is a deputy with Sheriffs department. We had a conversation somewhat similar to this about would I be able to do what I need to do in a life and death situation. Of course, you never really know what you will do until you find yourself in the situation, but my friend said that you will tend to do what you've trained to do.
    One frustration I have had is my local range doesn't permit firing from a holster. So the only way I can practice with a holster is dry firing at home. But I do try to practice what I would do from different situations so that if the real thing ever happens I wouldn't instinctually react to do the right thing.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links