One I thought of the other day

This is a discussion on One I thought of the other day within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use to work for a few different private security companies. All of the companies I worked for except one were all unarmed, uniformed service. ...

Thread: One I thought of the other day

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

I use to work for a few different private security companies. All of the companies I worked for except one were all unarmed, uniformed service. The armed one, they were far from on the right side of the law when it came to how they treated their employees (thats another story). They would arm officers with guns if they were trained, but the guns they gave were next to useless due to the way they were taken care of, those not trained got issued a night stick, but no training on anything, just placed at a post.

So lets say for example, you are in a store, the store has an security officer in the front, he is only armed with a night stick and you see him trying, in the course of his duties to stop someone for shoplifting or some other lawful purpose. The BG is giving him a hard time and a struggle starts to happen and the BG gets a hold of the untrained officers night stick and starts beating him with it.

In this case, you know who the good guy and bad guy is, and it seems the good guy is not going to fare to well in these events. What would you do? This is a somewhat busy store, so one can assume 911 has been called and you would hope LEO would be on the way, but in this case, seconds count or this officer could be killed with his own weapon.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Shooting someone is such a legal hassle, anymore. I'd probably pull off one of those little peg board rods they hang jerky and peanuts on, and go punch the guy in a kidney.

I think my biggest fear shooting in this situation is that if the police arrive as I am shooting, I may become a pretty good target and get a severe case of lead poisoning
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Having worked private security for a number of years in my younger days I can tell you that just because the security guy is in uniform does not necessarily mean he is the good guy! Unless I witness the whole thing start to finish, as in see the guy run into the store and grab something and run back past the registers without paying, I consider it an unknown.

If the guy whacks him in the arms or legs that is between them. If he starts going for the head, then I probably would step up.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I do not carry (yet) so I do not know all the laws, but if the BG was going for the head could you not draw your gun and hold him at bay without shooting?

mkh
    Sticky situation here- if the guy's life is in danger then drawing your weapon may be warranted.

Remember though - we are not the police. We carry for self defence not to play LEO.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stlouiseman View Post
    I do not carry (yet) so I do not know all the laws, but if the BG was going for the head could you not draw your gun and hold him at bay without shooting?
    And what if the BG refuses to be "held at bay?"

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Having worked private security for a number of years in my younger days I can tell you that just because the security guy is in uniform does not necessarily mean he is the good guy!
    Same could be said for a LEO, there was one department that was disbanded by the state here due to how they basically ran the way they wanted with disregard for the law. But having said that, if I were to have wrote that the security officer was a LEO, I would bet the answers would be different and we would aid.

Not trying to be argumentative, Just thinking outside the box
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Shooting someone is such a legal hassle, anymore. I'd probably pull off one of those little peg board rods they hang jerky and peanuts on, and go punch the guy in a kidney.

Just had my dental stitches taken out don't make me laugh! But seriously if I knew and I mean KNEW who was the GG and the BG were. And the GG was getting beaten then I would have a human test subject for my Sabre Foam spray. I'm a big guy and can more than take care of myself. I would have no qualms about holding him down til police could sort it out.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Sponsored Links