how should my wife handle this next time

This is a discussion on how should my wife handle this next time within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; around a year ago, and before my wife begain carrying a pistol, she stopped during the middle of the day for gas. our 5 year ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how should my wife handle this next time

around a year ago, and before my wife begain carrying a pistol, she stopped during the middle of the day for gas. our 5 year old son was in the back seat of her car and she is pumping gas on the passenger side of her car. a man approaches asking for money and is entirely too close to her, probably around 2-3 ft. she tells him she has no money and he persist. she put the pump back up and got our son out and went in to pay for the gas.

the man follows her inside and the only bill she has is a $100.00. she hands it to the clerk, and she some how signaled to the clerk that the man behind her was making her uncomfortable. the clerk gives her part of her change, and my wife turns around and hands it to the guy. he leaves with 10.00 of her money. the clerk then gave her the rest of the change and she waited until the man was gone before leaving the building.

not because of that isolated incident alone, but my wife now carrys a ruger lcp IWB everywhere she goes. what i'd like to know is this, now that she has a weapon, what--if anything--should she do differently if the situation was the same and she already had let the man get to close but he would not go away.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Call the cops...

Rick

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Go inside and call the cops

VIP Member
    She might have told the clerk to call the police and remain in the store till they arrive.

If the bum was menacing to her and caused her to fear for her safety at the pump, there in my opinion, would not have been anything wrong with gripping her weapon but, unless there is an imminent threat to her life of that of another, she should not draw her weapon. It is there to save her life, not threaten, warn or scare someone.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    First she should tell him to back away from her and the vehicle. If he doesn't use her cell phone and call 911, being ready to draw and neutralize the situation if necessary. If it is a case where he has followed her into the building, tell the clerk to call 911. Under no circumstances would I give him any money.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Go inside and call the cops
    Yeah.

I never give pushy people money it just emboldens them and makes them think it's a reward for being agressive,call the cops
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If she was done pumping and he wouldn't take no for an answer there's always the pump. Am I the only person that thinks of these things? She was alone, and the sole protector of your 5 year old. Not the time to take chances. SPRAY THE BUGGER with the gas pump, retreat to the station and call for the cavalry...after paying for a BIC and proudly displaying it in the window.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Someone on here had a similar incident at a gas pump. Situational awareness was the key. See the threat. Warn the threat away early. Keep the car or a car door between you and the threat. Draw if the threat will not listen to reason. Stop the threat if it will not respect your fear for your life. Call the police.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Having our son with her, she said she was afraid to ask the clerk to call the cops for fear the man would retaliate. She said she was happy to give him the money so he would leave, and if she had our son with her shed do the same thing again.

When you pressure someone to give you money with intimidation, with or without a weapon, to me seems like robbery.

I would threaten to call the cops but it wouldn't be my cell phone I put my hand on. if the man would not go away, I would have presented my firearm if my son was with me simply because I'd rather deal with the legal aftermath than risk his life, or mine.

Would this be appropriate for me to recommend to my wife incase something like this ever happens again.

Lead Moderator
    The problem with you displaying a firearm is many states consider this brandishing. The man did not threaten (overtly ) your wife. Best move she could have made IMO is get in car , lock doors , call 911 and be ready to drive off if need be.
    By placing a barrier between her and the man , he becomes the aggressor if he tries to access the vehicle. Shooting should be a last resort when or if other opportunities are not available.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    The problem with you displaying a firearm is many states consider this brandishing. The man did not threaten (overtly ) your wife. Best move she could have made IMO is get in car , lock doors , call 911 and be ready to drive off if need be.
    By placing a barrier between her and the man , he becomes the aggressor if he tries to access the vehicle. Shooting should be a last resort when or if other opportunities are not available.
    i do agree with that.

i'll tell her if a situation like that happens again, to get in the car, lock the doors and call the cops. if the situation escalates before they get there, shoot him.

Quote Originally Posted by Extas View Post
    When you pressure someone to give you money with intimidation, with or without a weapon, to me seems like robbery.
    In some states, it is considered strong arm robbery.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Definitely get in and lock the door. Don't get your son out and walk!
    Stay in the car and call 911, or even drive away - gas unpaid. Give it a few minutes, drive back around, and if you don't see the idiot, go inside and pay. If you see the police after leaving and coming back, good! Get out and tell them you called, and why. Then pay for the gas.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Extas View Post
    i do agree with that.

i'll tell her if a situation like that happens again, to get in the car, lock the doors and call the cops. if the situation escalates before they get there, shoot him.
    Exactly.
    Mistake #1 was removing your son from the safety of the vehicle. Get in, lock doors, call 911, start engine, and be prepared to leave the scene, if need be.
    Mistake#2 showing a $100.00 bill in front of someone panhandling for money. Does she want this guy knowing she carries large bills if she meets him again.
    Mistake #3 giving him anything.
    Please educate your wife in self awareness and self defense, for her sake and that of your son.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links