Standoff with a Rotty tonight. - Page 2

Standoff with a Rotty tonight.

This is a discussion on Standoff with a Rotty tonight. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah - I'm not exactly sure what you hoped to accomplish by hitting the dog. A dog like that isn't going to be deterred by ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Standoff with a Rotty tonight.

Yeah - I'm not exactly sure what you hoped to accomplish by hitting the dog. A dog like that isn't going to be deterred by a fist to the head -- look at how big dogs play and you'll see that they can take a lot more than that. But it will make the dog see you as an aggressor. Agree with what others say on OC spray. Also might get a book on dog behavior so you can read them better.

Glad you're OK and didn't drop the pizza in the snow bank....that would have been the end all.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I think you handled it very well.

I am not a Rottweiler fan. I have been bitten by one before. He was nice second, then went nuts the next. I did nothing to provoke the attack. I think they are just unstable.
    I've had similar experiences with the breed. I don't really know if it's the breed as a whole or the individual dog.

I had a friend with a spinal cord injury and his service dog was a rottie. Since he was unable to play with her, I did. She knew me well (several months of playing) and then started the aggressive bit. I actually had to slam her head in the door once because she lunged at me. She greeted me as usual with that play with me look, then as I was walking in she growled and lunged at my face.

On the other hand, my neighbors raised them and they were some of the best behaved dogs I've ever seen. Never once had a problem with them. Just don't walk in unannounced

Back to topic, I think I would have stayed in the car since you were aware of the threat. I've learned the hard way not to trust most dogs and I'm a natural born dog lover.

Pizza is just not worth the potential risks to life, limb, freedom and bank account.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    does the same go for 2-legged attackers?...are you going to let a bad guy shank you before you shoot him just to prove you were justified?
    No, but I will shoot, only as a last resort.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I notice some clinging sound, like a chain. Look to the ground and see a rottweiler pacing my truck at about 20mph. Nice.
    Either the OP was driving too fast to be turning into a driveway or the dog was allowed to roam the neighborhood and had been following the truck.

If the dog was roaming the neighborhood, there's no way the OP would have known to call the pizza requester. It could have been anybody's dog.

That said, I would have remained in the vehicle and called my boss.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post

"Nudging" is often curiosity, or even "hey, pay attention to me".

It seems he was keeping a close eye on you, perhaps out of curiosity, perhaps out of caution, possibly both. But it sounds like the dog was being fairly neutral until you thumped him.

In fact, he was pretty restrained to simply give you a warning growl, considering you hit him.

-john
    i agree with john, i have a rotty that loves to nudge (goose) people, but at the same time, this was a strange dog and a nudge can be intimidating. personally it sounds like the punch is what set the dog off, mabye turning around and offering the back of your hand again, followed by a pat on the head would have made the situation a more pleasant experience for all involved...... my dogs are in the house, and i walk out to greet pizza deliveries, but if i saw someone punch my dog and draw down on her, it could end up real ugly.....

Bottom line owner should have been smarter. That said you never should have gotten out of your vehicle and NEVER should have hit him at all. This could have provoked an attack that never would have been. If the dog was aggressive you would have been done for then and there. Rotties are the type to nudge or lean on you for attention, many offer up a low guttural growl when you pet them that says ''hey I like this''. If you don't know the breed it is easy to believe they are mean. Again I say the owner should be more responsible than to let him be loose on his own for your safety and the dogs. As much as I know that rotties are good dogs I don't expect everyone to agree or know their traits.
    Good luck in the future.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I agree that the owner should have had his dog in the house, however; you were out of line, IMO. I would have been furious if you did that to my dog! Especially drawing on it right in front of the owner. If someone did that to my dog they would most certainly be staring down the barrel of my .40 cal. There are techniques that could have been employed prior to the threat of deadly force (ie. call, horn, ect.).

Here's a starter, if you do want to get out of the car with a unknown dog present (I would have), practice keeping emotions in check. Calm energy will thwart off many dog attacks and if not stand your ground and don't back down, In the words of Caesar Milan 'be the pack leader.'

The dog most certainly was not scared by your brandishing!

The big problem is the owner didn't do anything when first asked. I don't believe the owner would be justified in drawing a weapon on the pizza guy. The guy asked to have the dog placed under control and the owner didn't. Plus, the owner had no reason to believe he was in danger himself.

As far as getting out of the car. Well, that is not the issue at this point. In either case, the owner is responsible for the dog, bottom line.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I have to agree with some of the others here, if you drew on my dog in my front yard I would not have been nearly as nice as they were, and would have called the cops long before you left my house!

However my dog is always inside when we are expecting company, or a delivery of some sort... just because I love my dog doesn't mean they do!

~Krockett

A UP of Michigan Rotti is more interested in your pizza than you. Not sure if your here, but I've run across a few and thought I was going to die from the licks. They are mostly big babies. If he would really had wanted you, he wouldn't be playing around.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    A UP of Michigan Rotti is more interested in your pizza than you. Not sure if your here, but I've run across a few and thought I was going to die from the licks. They are mostly big babies. If he would really had wanted you, he wouldn't be playing around.
    Big babies they are, and yes if the if the dog wanted him, he never would have had time to draw. Don't think because they are big they are slow, they can cover a lot of ground fast.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Personally, I would not have exited the truck.
    Call the customer direct and tell them to come get the pizza from your car due to their car.
    If you don't have the number at hand then call back to the store and have them call the customer.
    If you don't have a phone then lean on your horn with flashers and high beams activated to alert the persons inside the house.

If you've ever seen the damage a dog can do to flesh in exactly no time flat, then you would feel same. Nod job is worth permanent nerve damage and/or reduction if not loss of motor function to your hands or limbs.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    Irregardless if the delivery driver should or should not have drawn down on a dog, some poster have stated they would have drawn down on the delivery guy or said things would have turn out bad. What are you talking about???? You ordered the pizza, so the driver had a reason to be on your property, the dog was not tied or fenced in. The driver could have come up with a half way reasonable "feared for his life or limb" rational in his defence, but the pet owner, as for drawing and pointing a weapon at the delivery person, well I don't believe they deliver pizza at jail, (not sure).

As for me, yes I love my pet, it is part of the family, and I am not sure what I would do to someone who would harm my pet, but just guessing, I think the law/court system would not be happy with someone pointing a gun or taking physical action against a person vs a pet.

The delivery drivers day may be bad, but I am betting your's will be worse.

Final note, the delivery guy, what was you thinking when you hit the dog with your fist?????

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links