Standoff with a Rotty tonight.

This is a discussion on Standoff with a Rotty tonight. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LMAO off at this whole thing..... take along some dang dog biscuits and he'll be your friend. A dog is scouting you out while you ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Standoff with a Rotty tonight.

LMAO off at this whole thing..... take along some dang dog biscuits and he'll be your friend. A dog is scouting you out while you are carrying pizza... imagine that. LOL. To me sounds like over-reaction.... maybe you should get over your fear of dogs.

I'm with the one group..... pull a gun on my dog and he's not attacking you.... we'll have issues ....

10 - 1 odds... I and the same dog would have been playing.... you haven't met a serious attack dog if that's what you think one is.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I had a standoff Wednesday with a Rottie that didn't go as well as yours. Actually, it ended up being a rescue on my part, but the dog was unknown to me and dragging a chain, much as the one you encountered. I was lucky that the nice LEO with me had a shotgun trained on the dog, and shot to kill when the dog bit me. I still don't have 100% use of my right hand, and I'm technically a trained professional at handling and evaluating dogs...go figure.

Full story here: Bunny Blog

I agree that you did the right thing is drawing on the dog and telling the owners about the 2-second warning. No question there.

As a dog trainer and behaviorist, I'd like to add something here though, and please don't think I'm some weirdo bleeding heart PETA freak. I eat meat, wear leather, and fully "get" who's at the top of the food chain. (Me!) But....when you got out of your car, even though you had neutral voice with the dog, the fact that you kept eye contact was a sign of aggression on your part, whether you intended it or not. And when the dog nudged you from behind, although I understand why you thumped him on the head with your fist, that's a definite aggressive maneuver on your part toward the dog.

Again, not that I blame you, but I think that could have been a reason why he suddenly started in with the hackles up and the growling.

Though personally, I blame the owners. You're 100% correct, they should have had that dog under control. The fact that you heard him dragging a chain meant he was usually kept chained to something (which I'd like to have done to his owners) and they CLEARLY hadn't had him properly trained or socialized. Rotties are incredible dogs, but it just takes one bad owner...

Anyhow. I'm glad you are ok and no one got hurt. I realized this week that I should have started my CCW classes and purchased a gun about 6 months ago. Glad you were prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    10 - 1 odds... I and the same dog would have been playing.... you haven't met a serious attack dog if that's what you think one is.
    Um, yes I have. Now I don't trust any dog for sure.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    the fact that you kept eye contact was a sign of aggression on your part, whether you intended it or not.
    +1

This was my first thought when reading through the OP. Eye contact kept with most animals is a sign of aggression.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Um, yes I have. Now I don't trust any dog for sure.
    So have I (many) and I trust all dogs.... but not all people. I've seen first hand the nastiest things that people can do to each other...... I prefer the dogs. They are not near as mean, nasty and dangerous.

Tell that to my frien- oh, that's right he's dead because of a dog mauling. I don't trust anything that lives, animals or humans.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    +1 for honking the horn or calling the home to get the dog under control.

That being said, I am glad no one or dog was injured..

I don't understand why you hit the dog for nudging you ? If it had bad intentions it would not have come in the form of a nudge. If you don't hit strange dogs ,they might not end up growling at you. A lot of dogs would have bitten you right then and there, justifiably.
    Like others have said though, none of it would have happened if there was a responsible dog owner. A dog belongs behind a fence or in a house. A dog on a chain is a miserable animal, it's wrong to keep them like that. You also can't trust invisible fences, a willful dog won't be stopped by a shock like that. The invisible fence works until the one time that the dog decides it won't. I even had a Boxer that would stand on the electric wire to short the fence, then they'd escape under the fence.
    I definitely understand the OP's not wanting to get bit again, it happened to me once too, through my forearm, my hand will never work like it used too .
    I think that more than anything, this post should serve to remind all of us dog owners to keep our dogs under control at all times. If your dog isn't loose he can't hurt anyone or get hurt himself.
    Last edited by PNUT; March 15th, 2009 at 03:46 AM. Reason: addingsomething.

Once you saw the dog, he should have never gotten close enough to surprise you with a nudge.
    Having said that, I would think a nudge is a sign of curiosity, if not...you would have already been had...

My 125# Rhodesian is always loose in the front yard, and he does not leave the property. If someone pulled a weapon on my property he/she would have some 'splainin' to do...

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The follow up with the call to the police was good thinking. Next time bring two pizzas. one for the customer and one for the dog or maybe some extra bread sticks for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    The follow up with the call to the police was good thinking. Next time bring two pizzas. one for the customer and one for the dog or maybe some extra bread sticks for the dog.
    Actually, this could be to one's advantage. If attacked, toss the pizza, I believe that the attack would be side-tracked for a brief period of time...enough to make your escape. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

well said bunny. I for one think you did great under the circumstances Tubby. I dont trust any dog that I dont know. they are animals and have no sense of reason. You are justified as far as I am concerned to shoot any dog that attakcs you, or that shows signifigant aggresiveness - if that dog puts you in fear of your life or limb.... kill it. We just had a case about 4 months ago where a 7 year old pitbull that a family had raised from a puppy attacked and killed the 4 year old little girl - youngest kid in the family. The dog had been around her since she was born, they all said that he was a friendly dog and had never even looked like he was gonna attack any one. Oops. I dont trust any Rott or Pit. the one in a 100 that is going to go bad and attack makes me watch em all. No dog's life is worth a humans. Not even my family dog.

Unless of course that person is attempting to hurt my family - then all bets are off.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Carry some OC Spray.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Haha I remembered one time my dad was at my friends house a few years ago and he goes "I see pinecones, but I don't see a tree?" My friend replies "Thats my Rotts poop."

I was thinking about Doggie Biscuits, but as we can see form many of these posts, people can sometimes act strangely if anything is done to their pet. Such as looking at them, petting them, talking to them, So to feed someone’s dog a treat, I bet this can also cause a problem. “How dare you feed my dog, he has allergies and now I am going to sue you.”. Or Shoot you as some posters may do. Oh didn’t some others also mention, OC don’t always work. Bottom line, Control your animal. Sorry for some of my hostility, But I am so sick of the local yocals In what any State I am in or have been in saying stuff like “ Oh my dog don’t bite, he’s OK.” Right after a PitBull chomped down on my hand, then quickly released it IN FRONT of home owner she said “She don’t bite.” “She’s OK” I said “Lady you just saw your dog bite my hand Now I am asking you again Put the dog in another room. “ My crew has same type of incidents as well. Once again “Control you animal.”

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links