Standoff with a Rotty tonight.

This is a discussion on Standoff with a Rotty tonight. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was working at my PT job as a pizza jockey. Armed with my G30 and one extra mag. Flashlight is a Brinkman Maxxfire. Went ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Standoff with a Rotty tonight.

Standoff with a Rotty tonight.

I was working at my PT job as a pizza jockey. Armed with my G30 and one extra mag. Flashlight is a Brinkman Maxxfire. Went on a delivery to a rare customer, like 4-5 times a year they order.

It's about 45 degrees out (very nice for this time of year in the UP) and I had my window half way down to shine for addresses with my flashlight. I notice some clinging sound, like a chain. Look to the ground and see a rottweiler pacing my truck at about 20mph. Nice.

Follows me to the house I need to deliver to. I pulled in the driveway so I don't step in huge puddle in the road. Dog moves to the front of the vehicle. I get my light out, maintain eye contact as I get out. Dog slowly approaches, head down. I shut the door, do the "hi puppy" thing in a neutral tone, while extending the back of my fist for the "sniff test". Seems satisfied so he backs up a bit about 3 feet. I turn 45 degrees to open the rear door and have to slink around it to clear the snow bank.

Hear the dog step rapidly closer and then feel him nudge me. I stuck behind me about butt high with a hammer fist and caught the dog in the head. I immediately put my back towards my truck and shined the light in his eyes while putting my hand on my gun. This disorients him and he backs away a bit and moves on around the back of my truck. I keep an eye on him as I grab the pizza bag from the seat. My light shines off of him sometimes while I'm trying to get the bag under control. I shut my door and he goes around the opposite side of the truck out of sight.

Now I'm on full alert. I tuck my light jacket behind my gun, just in case. I slowly back up to the rear of my truck to gauge his position. I see eyes glow at the front of the truck. Light goes to his eyes as I slowly move forward repeating "back" sternly. Then the low rumbling growl sets in.

The door opens and the female customer greets me. I say your dog is giving me the stink eye and please take control of it and bring it inside for my safety. They say he's fine. I say I'm not moving until that animal is under control. Dog moves toward me steadily with haunches up, growl very loud, distance 8 feet.

I drop the pizza bag and draw my gun and go to low ready while backing up. I yell out You have two seconds to get that dog in the house before he gets shot. The male customer comes flying out of the house and grabs a hold of the dog and hauls his butt in the house. Comes back out. Was extremely apologetic about the incident. Said next time if he does it again shoot him. I told him a better way to handle "next time" is to have the animal under control in the house before I get there so we don't have this drama again.

Whew. That one got the heart rate up a bit.

Called the non-emergency line of the police station to tell them the incident. Left my contact info with them in case they need it. That way they get the story from my side if they get called out. They know me pretty well too so that helps a bit.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

he was just pissed the pizza wasn't for him Glad everything worked out for you. Sometimes animals can be scarier than humans.

Sounds like a good idea calling the police, I'll have to remember to do that in case a situation every arises with me. Helps you look a lot better if something were to come up.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

How was the tip?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I think you handled it very well.

I am not a Rottweiler fan. I have been bitten by one before. He was nice second, then went nuts the next. I did nothing to provoke the attack. I think they are just unstable.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

You sure the dog didn't call for the pizza and then try to jack you?
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Glad you r ok, and that you didn't have to harm the animal because of its idiotic owners. Remember, its not the dog, its the irresponsible owners!

Here is my Rotty, doing what she does best.
    Attached Images

Carry some OC Spray.

It works pretty good on dogs, and a lot less "hassle" than a shooting investigation. It can also show a willingness to use other methods before resorting to a firearm, thus showing that if you have to shoot, it was truely was an option of last resort.

I myself prefer a blade in regards to dogs, but I will get bit, no doubt about it. I guess a mangled arm is worth it to me, just to be able to prove in court that I had no other option. Also, dogs can be tough to hit under stress, and bullets don't always put them down, just like humans in that regard.

Glad you're OK.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I myself prefer a blade in regards to dogs, but I will get bit, no doubt about it. I guess a mangled arm is worth it to me, just to be able to prove in court that I had no other option. Also, dogs can be tough to hit under stress, and bullets don't always put them down, just like humans in that regard.

Glad you're OK.

Biker
    does the same go for 2-legged attackers?...are you going to let a bad guy shank you before you shoot him just to prove you were justified?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

A stationary target is not that hard to hit,now if you got a dog running at you completely different story
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm glad it turned out all right. A couple of things:

1- As mentioned above, you need OC or some other non-lethal/less-lethal from of defense.

2- Since you knew about the threat before you got out of your vehicle, the thing to do would have been to call the residence where you are delivering and have them secure the animal before you got out. Its just pizza, its not worth the hassle and possible criminal charges that go along with shooting someone's dog on their property. Yes, you had a legitimate reason to be there, but that doesn't put you totally in the clear.

Life is a learning experience, and I wouldn't say you did a bad job at all. Next time, when there is a identified threat while you are still in your vehicle, don't get out if getting out puts you more at risk (as it does with a dog).
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I agree w/ Landric. Stay in your vehicle until the dog is restrained. Also I would have called the pizza parlor to tell them about the dog if the customer refused to restrain the dog. My rule: If you don't restrain the dog you don't get any pizza!

I think Landric has the answer, but from what you wrote, the dog didn't actually start growling at it until you hit it on the head.

"Nudging" is often curiosity, or even "hey, pay attention to me".

It seems he was keeping a close eye on you, perhaps out of curiosity, perhaps out of caution, possibly both. But it sounds like the dog was being fairly neutral until you thumped him.

In fact, he was pretty restrained to simply give you a warning growl, considering you hit him.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Gamisou View Post
    Glad you r ok, and that you didn't have to harm the animal because of its idiotic owners. Remember, its not the dog, its the irresponsible owners!
    +1!

When will people learn that it isn't OK to let their dogs roam?!

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I am not a Rottweiler fan. I have been bitten by one before. He was nice second, then went nuts the next. I did nothing to provoke the attack. I think they are just unstable.
    Some dogs (and people) are that way. But it isn't a breed thing.

We rescued an abused Rottie, and she is the sweetest thing, despite what she has been through.

IMO it takes a lot of character to shrug off abuse and not hate the world and/or people.
    -john

You hit the dog, then he started growling.
    My dog is on a wireless collar(boxer). If I had stepped out of my house and seen you drawn down on my dog we would have had some serious problems no matter what reason you had for being in my yard.
    He should have had his dog put up, but a phone call or blowing the horn to get the owners to put the dog up before you step into his yard would have made more sense.
    Just the thought of seeing someone with a gun drawn on my dog in my yard gives me chills on how that would end. Good luck on your future deliveries!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    .........If I had stepped out of my house and seen you drawn down on my dog we would have had some serious problems no matter what reason you had for being in my yard..............
    I would agree if he were an uninvited guest but they had to know someone was going to approach their house as they are the ones that ordered the pizza. That puts the burden on them to have the animal restrained before he arrives and if they don't, they have to accept the consequences.

Tubby -- I do think the mistake you made was ever getting out of your vehicle, especially since you were aware of the dog before exiting. If you didn't have the customer's phone number (and assuming you had a cell phone with you) I would have at least called back to the pizza place and asked them to call the homeowner. Failing the ability to do that, I would have started honking the horn and if that didn't produce the homeowner, I would have left. Had you been unaware of the dog prior to exiting your vehicle, I think you handled it the best you could.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I agree 100% hoss. They should have had there animal put up, but i'm sure we can agree some people are just stupid!!
    Knowingly stepping in the yard with 75lb+ dog that you don't know is asking for trouble...Tubby, you may see this all the time with no problems but it seems like inviting trouble. I'm just saying standing in my yard pointing a gun at a family member of mine is not real smart

OC spray would have ruffled my feathers, but I could get over that.
    My dog would have been inside just for the record
    This animal was checking out a stranger for his family and got assaulted in his yard, biting you would have been justified in my mind.
    Shooting him would ruin both of our lives. When a phone call or a horn blow could have prevented any trouble.

Dogs are a layer of security some of us use. So have the owner handle it(like turning off the alarm).

Read some of the dogs are family threads...JMO
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links