Is it a cop or a BG in uniform ?

This is a discussion on Is it a cop or a BG in uniform ? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading the thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...dead-jail.html and I started to wonder what I would do if the police or BG with police like uniform arrived ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a cop or a BG in uniform ?

Is it a cop or a BG in uniform ?

I was reading the thread:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...dead-jail.html
    and I started to wonder what I would do if the police or BG with police like uniform arrived in my house in the middle of the night.
    It is only the 2 of us in the house, so I know the cops were not called by us and the neighbors are not really close 600-700 feet and cannot see our house (trees and shrubs).
    The G-19 on my nightstand has a pica-mounted light plus 2 semi-tactical lights on my nightstand; my wife has her .357 on her nightstand and a flashlight.
    It is difficult to approach the house without triggering the security lights and they wake me up; getting older, the sleep is not as deep ...
    So we have the tools ... obviously !
    We don't have a plan in case somebody in uniform shows up.
    There has been quite a few invasions by false cops here in South Florida the last few years some involving cars with internal light bars.

What would you guys do ?

It has probably been posted in the past but with the influx of new guys here, we might find new ideas.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    BG's impersonating officers is a tough one. You can be 99% sure guys who look like police officers are police officers. I highly recommend against engaging them.

You have to weigh the risk.

If they are still outside or not an immediate threat, don't let them in, don't answer the door, call 911...If you get stopped by a "shady" looking police car, call 911.

My plan is to barricade myself and my wife in the bedroom and call 911 on the cell phone. This is the "safe room". I keep my Glock and my cell on the nightstand. I won't be coming out and no ones coming in. I will stay on the line with police. If it's the cops they will identify themselves and this can be verified by phone. If not verified I will yell out that I am armed and they are to leave my house. If they don't leave I will say that I am afraid for my life. All this will be recorded by police in case I need to shoot. Hopefully they will leave or it will be the cops.

I think its more likely that you'll encounter a bogus "LEO" on the road somewhere. It has always been one of my fears to get pulled over by an unmarked vehicle that I have doubts about (generally you can recognize unmarked vehicles as LE vehicles, they have certain "features" - hard to describe but I'm sure you'd recognize it too if you saw it).

I know that in many areas they have rules against plain clothes officers doing a routine traffic stop, but I'm not sure about unmarked cars. Supposedly you can keep your window up and call 911 to verify, but that just sounds like you're asking for a LOT of trouble if you do that.

If they are knocking and saying they are the Police, but not beating down your door, I'd call 911 and ask if they have some uniforms on a call. If they say no then tell them to send a Cop and an ambulance just in case.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I beleive the orginal OP said he did reconize the LEO from a prior traffic stop. But it is a hard call. Years before I had my CCW permit I had a 9.00 court date both my attorney and myself both forgot. I get a phone call from court at 4.00 pm asking where I am, they tell me to come next morning. So next moring get to the court house bright and early. Restore the case to the calander. Go to go. Next morning 6.30 phone rings NYPD Detectives asking me to come to the front door. so we can talk. They were a lot of home invasion going on at the time. So I go to the front window above the door and there are 2 guys wearing shields around their necks. I ask to see the ID cards so both have to dig them out and I saw that the cards were good. I explained that I have 2 kids inteh house. I opened the door and they stated they have a warrant for my arrest. I showed them the court papers and they left. Point of the story is it was more important to see the ID card that the shield.

This is one to be careful of. Here in Colo., our Castle Doctrine, otherwise known as our Make My Day law does not apply to shooting a LEO performing his lawful duty.

If the LEO is, say, on a drug raid and the address on the warrant is wrong, (which has been known to happen) but it's your address on the warrant, and you shoot one, then Castle Doctrine does not apply, no matter how scared you were; particularly now that no knock warrants are more and more common.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Thats one advantage of living in Ohio. Here the cars must be marked if they are performing traffic duties, no unmarked cars making stops.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Here in Washington we have some of the most unmarked cars you can find you litterly can't tell until the flip their lights on. Here we have Doge chargers that are in marked and don't have the extra antennas or bumper
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    There has been quite a few invasions by false cops here in South Florida the last few years some involving cars with internal light bars.
    Invasion? Defend against it with everything I've got. I'm neither criminal nor wanted, hence I'm of the opinion that any outright violence is 99% certain to be an illegal attempt by criminals to harm me.

People in uniforms at the door asking to speak with me? I'd be on the phone to 911 and confirming that these apparent officers are known to have been dispatched. Why? Because such false-flag crimes are on the rise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    When they say, "show me your hands!", you respond, "show me your warrant!". If they have one, get on the floor with your arms outstretched.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    Here in Washington we have some of the most unmarked cars you can find you litterly can't tell until the flip their lights on. Here we have Doge chargers that are in marked and don't have the extra antennas or bumper
    Have a few like that out here in NC, saw a guy get pulled over by a Nissan 350Z, bright yellow mind you.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond !!!
    Some good thinking there.
    The problem is compounded by the fact that my brain takes a little while to spool up when I am woken up in the middle of the night ...

At least a traffic stop I am alert (hopefully).
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

This happened in my hometown last month.
    Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana - ‘Police’ pullover a sham

This is a very good question. There were a couple of instances in Memphis last years where some BGs were committing home break-ins while wearing all black (masks included). They had fake badges (probably CCW) that they would flash quickly when the homeowner opened the door. One case they just kicked the door in shouting "Police, Police." The homeowners didn't have a chance to react and were duct taped together while the house was ransacked.

If I am sleeping and someone is banging on the door yelling "Police," I can't say for sure that they are real LEOs. I could call 911 but if they bust in the door, I have a split second to decide to pull the trigger.
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links