40-50 Kalamazoo teens beat cyclist unconscious

This is a discussion on 40-50 Kalamazoo teens beat cyclist unconscious within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it was just me I would have to help him. If my family was with me I would try yo get them to some ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 40-50 Kalamazoo teens beat cyclist unconscious

Senior Moderator
    If it was just me I would have to help him.

If my family was with me I would try yo get them to some safe place first and then help him
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, but that shows that they are willing to do greater bodily injury to the 50 year old man... or even kill him...

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by AresXD40 View Post
    Even with my current carry load, I wouldn't have enough to ammo to shoot them all if they all decided to stick around. Hopefully they would scatter like everyone else is saying if it got down to that.
    I dont carry more than 31 rounds; I think most patrol LE only carry 2 back-up magazines so it is likely they would fall short of the full 50. But, I think the cockroach in the light theory is fairly solid
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

It'd be hard to not be overrun by a hoard of 50, even if you carried that many rounds (although most would likely scatter, who is to say that they aren't part of some cult and just came from a pcp and acid sermon?). I probably wouldn't even introduce my gun if I was dragged off my bike, since there are too many hand to grab it from me. If I could get a little distance to have time to present it maybe... If the first couple bang-flops don't stop the rest, you'd better believe that I'll empty the weapon before they reach me.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

There is courage in numbers. Just the sight of a gun might run these teen aged thugs off. I would hate to shoot in a situation like this but as a last resort I would take out one of the leaders and hope the rest would scatter. Something Similar to this happened to me several years back while on a fishing trip.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    As soon as a couple of them got dropped the rest would scatter like the cockroaches they are
    Ditto that. These types of punks are only brave in groups. At the first shot, 99% of them would run like the little rats they are. Any that remained could either be armed (unlikely or they wouldn't have needed the large group to be brave) or too stupid to be scared but as soon as they realize their "friends" have all but deserted them, the seriousness of their situation will sink in and they'll be gone. I hope they catch every one of these dirt-bags and lock them up for a long time. Attempted murder sounds like a reasonable charge to me.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

mkh
    You have a 3000 lb weapon at your disposal. Run over their @rs3s.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    You have a 3000 lb weapon at your disposal. Run over their @rs3s.
    The victim was riding a bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The victim was riding a bicycle.
    I think he means as the bystander, presumably in a car, you could run over them. Don't know if I'd wanna go that route.

I'd rather just surgically remove the leaders with a firearm, hope the rest scatter, make sure I could get to safety and call for help.

"They might get their steak, but I'm going to get me some hamburger......."

As a wild child at one time, I'd be willing to bet the first round would send all of them in a change of direction. Part of the advantage of attacking in a large pack like that is that it is very unlikely you'll get hit back. Most of the crowd probably weren't even in on the actual "attacking", probably "gawking" instead.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Quote Originally Posted by dropped_71chevy View Post
    I'd assume they ambushed him. That's an insane number of people going after 1 man. I'm not even going to attempt to guess how I would respond.
    That is my assesment too.
    You won't know until it happens.

legal ramifications

Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    Most of the crowd probably weren't even in on the actual "attacking", probably "gawking" instead.
    This brings up an interesting point that I would be interested to hear others talk about:

What would be the legal ramifications of acting by shooting into alarge mob, many of whom are probably not actively doing the attacking.

I would have to weigh that issue in, because as a father and husband, my ultimate duty is to come home to my family each night, protect and raise my kids -- not be locked up in a jail.

This is a case where a warning shot would be used. I would scream stop with my 12ga.!! This may stop the beating and draw their attention to me. I have 12 rounds on my 870 , 13 rounds in my HK and always have 3+ mags in the truck. I suspect they would go the other way quickly, if not I could keep them back!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

They would run. Shoot until you run out and then start kicking punching and scratching. Most of the teens were probably only being tough becuase they were 40-1. Once you draw you have evened the numbers and they would no longer be acting tough. If it was 20 against 40 I bet some would run. A guy is in the hospital becuase he did not have the means to fight back. I would fight back. If the end result is the same at least some of the kids would think twice about attacking someone on the street, you've lost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by coltrane59 View Post
    This brings up an interesting point that I would be interested to hear others talk about:

What would be the legal ramifications of acting by shooting into alarge mob, many of whom are probably not actively doing the attacking.

I would have to weigh that issue in, because as a father and husband, my ultimate duty is to come home to my family each night, protect and raise my kids -- not be locked up in a jail.
    Thats why you dont flock shoot. You aim and take out the lead bird. Then the next one that steps in. If someone else is hit they were close enough to help or hurt me and they were not helping. They are also involved.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links