The day after you beat him up?

This is a discussion on The day after you beat him up? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LongRider ...Be sure the bones break before they hit the ground but make sure that your defense is the most painful, horrifying ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The day after you beat him up?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    ...Be sure the bones break before they hit the ground but make sure that your defense is the most painful, horrifying experience they have ever had. Not one they want to ever repeat. Remove all doubt about whether or not they could have won.
    I'm worried a bit about this: I am very interested in getting out of there rather than teaching a lesson, and I'm not sure of my standing should I attempt to make my actions definitive for that purpose only.

Yes, my William Wallace scream and berserker attack with a stick will certainly be done with gusto! In fact, I've warned my wife to expect me to go off the scale.

It seems that the principle of "stop when the threat is over" is still in play here, which is probably why you say 'be sure the bones break before they hit the ground". Of course, if he's down and writhing he may be going for another weapon so I suppose I could continue, but I'm not too keen on blows to the head and suspect that blows anywhere else might just increase the writhing and prolong my difficult decision-making. If I still felt threatened, sure. But just to keep him from trying it again? I don't see how that can be justified. I think that creating the impression of "the homicidal maniac who completely beat the [stuffing] out of me before I even had time to fall down" is what I want. Comments?

Note: I recognize my junior status here - just trying to figure things out. Thanks, everyone, for your help.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

2. Remove Ads

I would have taken his wallet out of his pocket, and grabbed all of his ID cards, and given his wallet back to him.. well thrown it on him.. and then called it in and drop off the id cards at my local PD so they can keep an eye out for him, or when he tries to get a copy of his DL then the cops will be notified while he is waiting in the DMV :-)

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I ask myself, "What would Gecko do?"
    And then I would duct-tape a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located.
    that's awesome...or maybe you could try to get your wife to sew a custom shirt with space for a 2nd trauma plate...oh Mall Ninja...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I'm with LongRider... dirtbags do not dictate where I go. Even before I carried...

Back in the 90's, I once had a very compelling reason to go into the heart of one of THE WORST neighborhoods in Miami, and I didn't have a gun. Anger can make ya stooopid... but I went and took care of bidness. I probably shouldn't go into a lot of specifics, as the forum rules state you shouldn't talk about possibly criminal acts, and I don't possess the legal expertise to be certain if a wild-eyed screaming white man waving a giant butcher knife and a 2x36 inch piece of steel rebar in the heart of the hood constituted a violation of any local or state statutes...

But to the original poster's question, no, thugs do not deter me from going to the Piggly Wiggly... I'll be more watchful, but no.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I'm with LongRider... dirtbags do not dictate where I go. Even before I carried...

a wild-eyed screaming white man waving a giant butcher knife and a 2x36 inch piece of steel rebar in the heart of the hood constituted a violation of any local or state statutes...

But to the original poster's question, no, thugs do not deter me from going to the Piggly Wiggly... I'll be more watchful, but no.
    LMAO.. I'm sure your in the clear...
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I'm worried a bit about this: I am very interested in getting out of there rather than teaching a lesson, and I'm not sure of my standing should I attempt to make my actions definitive for that purpose only.... snip

It seems that the principle of "stop when the threat is over" is still in play here, which is probably why you say 'be sure the bones break before they hit the ground". Of course, if he's down and writhing he may be going for another weapon so I suppose I could continue
    To be clear I would never advocate beating a man once he is down no matter what kind of low life he is, unless you can clearly articulate that they were going for a weapon or remained a threat to you.

I liked your stick analogy as a cane is a great SD tool. Ideally first strike is the collar bone, they are than experiencing breath taking pain or do whatever you need to until they are experiencing breath taking pain. When you are done, I find knee capping them, tends to end the conflict. They may not even feel that but they will be on the ground. Never have figured that out broken collar bone massive pain, broken knee cap shock no pain for a minute or so. Anyway on topic.

I think it is important that they verbally admit defeat and apologize. Once they are no longer a threat I feel I have obligation to see that they are OK, provide whatever first aid I can. In doing so I may apply pressure on an injury say on the collar bone, sadly they may experience severe pain, that, would be a good time to quietly mention that it is inappropriate to attack you, that if you ever see them again you will be less merciful. Make them acknowledge the error of their ways maybe insist that they offer to be your girl friend. I have been known to use less than polite language during this process. Oh don't smile, my wife says I grin. Did not know I did that until she told me it make3s me look bad.

That is its a long winded way of saying you do not want just broken bones you want a broken spirit. A broken spirit will not come after you

This of course this is all hypothetical and said to make that point

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    But just to keep him from trying it again? I don't see how that can be justified.
    First time you get clocked with a baseball bat because some nim rod held a grudge because they could not accept a butt whipping, you will see how it is justified. Isn't that what you originally asked how to avoid a revenge attack? IMO this is how or at least what has worked for me so far
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I don't carry nor would I reach for pepper spray if I am being assaulted. I carry a GUN for a reason. 2 to COM then next aggressor for the same treatment until all threats stop. Then get some distance, get cover and keep the scene in visual while calling 911.

Hopefully the goblins are dead or in jail afterward and I have no issues about reprisals. But the reality is I would likely avoid the area or at least be on heightened alert for quite some time after.

Bad guys and assault

It's been my experience (albeit very limited) that in the case of most bullies, if you hurt them bad enough so that they remember the beating, they won't chance a second shot. I've always assumed that if someone tells me they are going to whip my butt, they mean it. I try not to give them an even chance. Marquis of Queensbury is for the boxing ring. A forehead to the nose and a knee to the gonies usually takes the fight out of someone.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    I would probably have taken his drivers' license/other ID with me.
    Yes, I have taken the BG's goods before. I love the irony.

If the BG is down and I am not, unless a herd of his buddies are bearing down on me, the BG is not getting up. The threat is not over until the ambulance hauls the BG away. I am not going to shoot a fleeing BG in the back. However, I can tell you that knowing a BG got away to harm another person is a terrible feeling. Of course, the SA is going to inform everything that follows. But if the place is too dangerous to wait for the Police, I was probably not there to begin with.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ??? So you advocate I stand over him with cane upraised while I call for PD, ready to bonk him if he gets up? If I'm 'authorized' to use force to stop a thread, that's one thing. But is his getting up (or wiggling) a continued threat? If I perceived a threat and he's down and moaning, why not just leave? I'm more inclined to get out of there, as I don't have the mandate to capture bad guys. It would be nice to, of course, and it's still on my list of possible options, but my goal is self-defense rather than law enforcement.

I probably wouldn't run him over if he was lying on the ground behind my truck, though. (For you old guys: insert Moe voice, "Oh, a speedbump, eh?" )
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I ask myself, "What would Gecko do?"
    And then I would duct-tape a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located.
    LOL... Man that was funny. Dr Pepper bout came out of my nose.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Some jerk that got his butt whipped because he tried to attack me.... the LEO's would not have to look for him.... we'ld be there waiting for them to show up.

On another note, my daughter had a late night job... and had to walk a bad low-lit parking lot in a not too good of an area to her car. It really concerned me, so I had her call me and sometimes (when I could) I would drop by and make sure she would be OK. She was 18 yrs old. I had taught her some things along the way. One night she didn't call, didn't answer, and I became concerned.

When I got the call.... she said , "uh DAD"... and I knew at that moment "oh hell". She then told me that there was a Policeman who wanted to talk to me. He got on the phone, laughing, and telling me how this 6'1" guy (she's 5'2" tall) tried to grab her at her car (had a long record of rape), she whipped his butt and then called them. I could hear one LEO in the background saying "get up, I won't let her hurt you". The one on the phone told me the guy wouldn't get up, afraid she was going to kick his butt again.

She really did a job on this guy and made him stay on the ground while the Police were coming. He did.

She thanked me when she got home for teaching her the things I did. I was thankful too, that she used them.

Don't let them .... win.... by being in fear. Do what you are going to do, go where you are going to go, and just be prepared and alert..... not paranoid.

Eagleks, they sure grown them good in Kansas.

Paymeister, I share thoughts about what I would do. Sorry if I sound like an advocate for anyone else. I have a mother and a wife out in the world every day. If a bad guy got away from me and hurt one of mine - or anyone else and I knew about it ... I do what I must in order to sleep at night. I sleep well. BTW, I often use a cane too. i have some workout routines with it, but no formal training. Training would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I am not going to modify my life for some punks. One of the reasons I carry is I refuse to allow low life scum bags to dictate how I live. That said I would only go there if I have a legit reason to be there.

One of the way to avoid a follow up attack it to assure that you put the fear of God in the assailant. Be sure the bones break before they hit the ground but make sure that your defense is the most painful, horrifying experience they have ever had. Not one they want to ever repeat. Remove all doubt about whether or not they could have won
    ROTFLMAO,
    Now that is an answer I can agree with.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I agree with most of the posters here that the best defense from this sort of scenario is to be standing there over the bad guy when the police arrive and haul them away.

Your original question was about what to do if you did not.

If you successfully perform the attack you mention and drive away you have little to fear. The bad guy had no intention of remembering who you were before you were the winner. Pepper spray and pain will not suddenly increase their memory. If you leave while they are still on the ground you have made your escape. The best they will have is vague memory of your build and description and probably the make and color of your car. They aren't going to get a plate number and miraculously memorize it through the watering eyes of someone pepper sprayed.

Prudence would dictate that you up your situational awareness; change the vehicle you drive there when you go; take different routes and vary your routine; change any identifying clothing or habits you have; watch for the bad guy, you have a better chance of remembering them then they do of remembering you, you didn't get sprayed.

I wear a distinctive outfit almost all the time. One advantage is I am recognized by people I see often. Another advantage of that when I don't wear it I am not recognized. In a situation like the one described I would stop wearing that outfit and just dress like everyone else.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links