Dangerous Neighborhood Dog.

This is a discussion on Dangerous Neighborhood Dog. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I moved into a new house in September, and other than my next door neighbor's yippy little dog keeping us up at night (until ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I moved into a new house in September, and other than my next door neighbor's yippy little dog keeping us up at night (until I threatened to call the police because the damn thing was barking regularly for 30 minutes at 0230) the street is quiet and friendly with lots of kids. Well about a month ago was getting ready for work at about 0500 and I hear a dog barking right outside my front door, so I go to look and see what is going on. Well this husky/shepard/wolf? mix is trying to attack a moose! I have seen lots of moose around town in Anchorage over the years, and have seen many dogs bark at them and run around them - but this time was different, the dog REALLY wanted a piece of this moose. So old moosey runs off into the trees and the dog comes trotting back out and runs off the other direction into the neighborhood. No big deal.

Last week me and my pregnant wife were getting out of the car after a grocery trip and I see this same dog walking down the street, and this thing is PISSED. Hackles are up, back is arched, ears are laid straight, back and teeth are bared. The dog is maybe 30 feet from me and looking at a dude walking his two labradors down the street, as the guy and his dogs walk by the "Wolf" it attacks them. The guy kicks the dog and pulls his dogs away. "Wolf" trots off into the woods.

My take on this whole thing was that this dog is very aggresive, and if it was not outnumbered would have seriously tried to attack the other dogs. He does have a collar, and I think his owners live in the area - dont know where exactly. I have never seen him on a leash or in a fenced yard, as far as I know he roams freely. If he came at my wife like that with his hackles up and teeth bared I would have shot him with my .357 that I was carrying at the time. I am not sure what the genereal reaction time for animal control is, and I have never seen this dog around for more than a few minutes. I dont know who the owner is, and I dont know where the dog lives. There are lots of kids in the nieghborhood and we live across the greenbelt from a elementry school.

Ideas? Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'd be a bit concerned about rabies...I'd report it to animal control and the police. There maybe a vet record on the dog to aid in finding the owner(s). As for protecting the family...one has to do what they got to do.

Rick

Senior Moderator
    BANG !
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm left wondering if the dog has been abondoned by it's owner?
    Or if the owner is just irresponsible and ignorant?
    Either way I would contact the local Animal Control and have them investigate. They should be able to track the owner by any collar tags and make sure the dog is up to date on his required immunizations, along with making sure the owner is properly caring for the dog.
    I would hate to hear of a person or another animal being attacked by a neglected, mistreated or abused animal.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I would contact the Animal Control and Police Departments and describe the dog and the general area where you have seen it. If they know a viscious animal is running loose they can be on the lookout for is as they patrol the area. Until I know it has been captured by the authorities I would avoid walking thea area.

Even though I have a carry permit, I try my best to exercise caution avoiding obvious areas where danger lurks, (bad guys OR bad dogs).

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Since you already have a little history on this dog, I would report it to LE and Animal Control. This will alert them to the dog's presence and demeanor.

With that said ...

If I saw anyone being attacked by a viscious dog, I would not hesitate to help them. If it required lethal force to dispatch the animal, then so be it. A human life is far more important. I'm a dog owner/lover and it would be the last thing I would want to do, but, the dog's actions would drive mine.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Alright, complaint is headed in to animal control - turns out thier station is a mile and a half down the road! I love google Earth.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Bang...you don't look so bad heres another one Bang
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I was the epidemiologist who made treat/notreat-for-rabies-exposure recommendations at a huge county's health department years ago.

The delay in dogs from onset of rabies symptoms to death is about a week: if the dog is still alive at two weeks after an epsiode you can be assured that during that episode he wasn't transmitting rabies. He could still be incubating it and develop symptoms later, of course, but you don't worry about transmission of rabies for a >2wk old bite if the dog is still alive.

Rather than rabies, a dog heading towards a pair of dogs or a moose suggest an overly aggressive version of a normal response. A dog wandering off the street up to your porch and chomping you for no reason, on the other hand, would be out-of-character, which would highly elevate one's is-this-rabies suspicion. We used to rountinely recommend rabies exposure treatment for unprovoked bites if we couldn't find the dog.

And post-exposure rabies treatment these days is only slightly more brutal as a flu vaccination: a shot into the wound (if it is recent), and three in the arm and little reaction to those as it is human-cell derived rather than containing duck-egg or horse-serum antigens.

Sounds like a simple case of "Too-Aggressive-Dog". Probably the best route is to report him and get a paper trail going so if you ever DO have to shoot, you can document a history of this behavior. And practice with the milk-bottle-rope trick so you have a feel for shooting at a dog moving towards you. If you see tags on the dog, you might invest in some hot dogs for him, make friends, and get the number off the tag to identify the owner - and a side benefit of this approach is the dog may be less likely in the future to come after you (unless he's hungry for hot dogs, I suppose).
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Animal control time: of the city-paid variety, or personally.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Call Animal Control and let them do their job, however if you feel threatened by the dog, do what you have to do.

Distinguished Member
    It sounds like he is just animal aggressive, a lot of dogs are like that, but if he came at me with his ears back and teeth showing, I would shoot him, if it was a safe shot. I would call animal control like you said and get my wife some pepper spray if she doesn't carry.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Since you already have a little history on this dog, I would report it to LE and Animal Control. This will alert them to the dog's presence and demeanor.

With that said ...

If I saw anyone being attacked by a viscious dog, I would not hesitate to help them. If it required lethal force to dispatch the animal, then so be it. A human life is far more important. I'm a dog owner/lover and it would be the last thing I would want to do, but, the dog's actions would drive mine.
    +1. I work with K-9's on a regular basis. If that canine comes at you fast he'll be hard to hit on the run. I recommend you offer him your weak arm as bait then start to dispatch him. Yes you will take a bite but it's better than trying to beat him to death with your empty .357.

JMO

Roger - Former Kodiak Island resident. Is the GABC still open? Getting off the Rock and staying at Anchorage for a week was a treat.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; February 14th, 2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: sp
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I would just report the dog to animal control for now. If he came at myself/wife/family, then I would not hesitate to shoot him. If he was attacking another person, I would also attempt to shoot him, provided I fully believed that I could get a clean shot into the dog w/out endangering the person/people he was attacking or bystanders.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants;

I wouldn't shoot unless attacked or someone else were attacked. The hot dog trick sounds like a good choice. Maybe you can get the dog to stay around long enough for the dog catcher can catch him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links