Potential threat from a vehicle

This is a discussion on Potential threat from a vehicle within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone. I have been browsing the forums for some time now with this being my first post. The other night I was on a ...

Thread: Potential threat from a vehicle

Potential threat from a vehicle

Hey everyone. I have been browsing the forums for some time now with this being my first post.

The other night I was on a feeder road here in Houston stopped at a light talking on the phone. I have been stopped at this light dozens of times and know it is usually a long wait. It was around 8pm or so with a two other cars in front of me, I was in the right lane (2 lanes) with no car to my left. On the left side of the street (under the overpass) there is a decent sized African American man that appeared to be homeless with one of those squeegees that must have been stolen from a local gas station. I really wasn’t in the mood for having my windows cleaned since I have just washed my SUV the day before.

It appeared to me that this gentleman thought I was an easy target because I was on the phone. He was definitely wrong. I had my eye on him the whole time and was confident he couldn’t see I was paying attention to his actions. About a minute or so at this light, I see the gentleman coming straight towards my car with a mission. I hung the phone up and grabbed my Surefire E2D LED out of the center console (next to the S&W 637 and Gerber Covert Folder). He gets about 5 feet from the car and I wave my hands and said “No Thanks” very assertively. He proceeds and sticks the dirty a** squeegee on my freshly cleaned windshield. He was very surprised at the blinding effects of 120 lumens. He jumped back and realized I wasn’t the sheep 99% of the population is.

Did I overreact in this situation? How would you guys handle this different? Does anyone have a similar story to share? That squeegee could just as easily been used to break a side window and/or as an inconspicuous weapon.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I think you reacted fine. The flashlight trick got his attention and he backed off. Far better choice than drawing a weapon, although I'm sure that was a hard decision to make. I would most likely change my route if I had to deal with that everyday.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I think you did fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I think you did fine.

me too.
    An armed citizen is a protected citizen.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

That was a great way to back him down, far better than pulling a weapon without a threat on your life.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Looks like you reacted great. Hit them with all those tactical lumens! :)

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    He probably thought you were taking his picture with a video camera so you could make a police report.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Did great. I'd have lit him up about the time I was convinced he was coming at my vehicle, no less than 5' away.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Way too keep your cool and a great tactical move!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    Sounds like you did OK. Only thing you might do in the future is hit him with the light sooner. That and find another route if possible.

Nothing wrong with that IMNSHO.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    You did a fine job. And welcome!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I think you did a good job with the light.
    I ticked one of those guys off once, when he came at my car. I let my car roll forward right before he could reach me, and I scared him.
    Better to have used a light.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

mkh
    Great response.

I keep one on the console next to the emergency brake. 160 lumens really screws up someone's night vision.

I'll chime in with a "nice job." Calm, cool, and collected decision making. I love this forum.....constantly learning from others.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Links