Situation that led to CCDW

This is a discussion on Situation that led to CCDW within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I travel a great deal around the state of Kentucky and also make frequent trips to Pennsylvania and Maryland. This often takes me out on ...

I travel a great deal around the state of Kentucky and also make frequent trips to Pennsylvania and Maryland. This often takes me out on the roads late at night. I have done this for some time and there have often been situations late at night that make you stop and think. One one particular trip returning from Maryland and Pennsylvania through eastern Ohio I stopped at a rest area around 1:00 am and went to use the restroom. There were only a cople of trucks and about three cars in the rest area and as I got out of the car I saw no one around. Even in the restroom I saw no one. Upon leaving the restrrom from the buildings side door I thought I saw two people duck behind the building about 25 yards away. I quickly moved toward my truck at a rate much faster then I would have normally. As I got in I saw two men come from behind the building and watch me as I started the truck. I drove away without incident but this made me think about the situation and what these guys were up to. I felt very uncomfortable and that was when I made the decision to carry. I have now had my CCDW for a couple of years and carry on a consistent basis a S&W 442 .38 special or a Bersa 380.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Smart decision to start carrying. Had a bud who had a close one at a rest stop on I-10 in Alabama years ago a little after midnight. He went into and sat down on the crapper and heard the door open and sound of steps. The guy didn't leave before he finished and he got a little nervous. He looked under the stalls and could see the shoes facing away from him on the outer stall. He drew his snubby 85 Taurus and told the gent to get the hell out where he could see him. The guy walked out of the restroom. He is a Marine and knows how to clear a room. Kept the gun out when he exited the restroom and whoever was there was gone. He cleared his car and left without any problem.

When I am traveling I always have my weapon on and have a old 36 for the wife. Way too many BG's out there looking for easy pickings.

As a former Life Scout I try to follow the old Boy Scout motto which really ties into adulthood and CC IMO:

The Scout Motto is: BE PREPARED which means you are always in a state of readiness in mind and body to do your DUTY.

Be Prepared in Mind by having disciplined yourself to be obedient to every order, and also by having thought out beforehand any accident or situation that might occur, so that you know the right thing to do at the right moment, and are willing to do it.

Be Prepared in Body by making yourself strong and active and able to do the right thing at the right moment, and do it.

Great motto IMO and our nation would be a better one if all fathers would enroll their son's into this outstanding organization!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

If it was 2 guys "ducking" behind a building, they might have been toe tappers!

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Interstate rest areas are well-known for illicit gay activities. When I was stationed in Saratoga, NY, the rest area on I-87N near Clifton Park was raided after numerous complaints from motorists. Many arrests were made, including the VP of GE Silicones (located just north of Albany). He was caught in the act, and tried to claim that he just went outside to pee since the building was full, and had no idea how that other fella came to be doing what he was doing.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    When I was stationed in Saratoga, NY...
    Were you up there for prototype?

I was at MARF in 1982 as a student (MM), then back as a civilian RCM for EB during the refueling in the late '80s until mid-90 when I headed south. Spent a lot of time on the Northway between Gansevoort where I lived and CP where my ex's grandparents lived.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi View Post
    Were you up there for prototype?

I was at MARF in 1982 as a student (MM), then back as a civilian RCM for EB during the refueling in the late '80s until mid-90 when I headed south. Spent a lot of time on the Northway between Gansevoort where I lived and CP where my ex's grandparents lived.
    Ya. I was at MARF as a student from Apr-Nov 1982, and back as a staff instructor from Nov-85 till Aug 89. Class 8108?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

They were just peeing! Something About Mary. Sorry, I had to.

I do a lot of travel by car with my family and alone on business. Rest areas at night are unsettling to say the least. Drifters, hitchers, vagrants, etc use the same stops. I don't go anywhere without my back-up.
    2A is not negotiable

Links