11 a.m. on a weekday when I'm normally at work, and two strange men knock on my door - Page 3

11 a.m. on a weekday when I'm normally at work, and two strange men knock on my door

This is a discussion on 11 a.m. on a weekday when I'm normally at work, and two strange men knock on my door within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One guy was from Publishers Clearing House, and the other was from the IRS. . . I have mixed feeling about answering the door when ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    One guy was from Publishers Clearing House, and the other was from the IRS. . .

I have mixed feeling about answering the door when it's someone I don't know. 98.7% of the time it's someone trying to sell you some garbage you don't need.

I too would like to get a lockable, security styled "screen" door, but many homes now days are not designed to accommodate additional doors.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Sorry everybody but I still disagree. I am saying this as a person that IS armed and has a CCTV system for the door, hell a peep hole only cost 10 bucks.
    What if a person is in need of help and is knocking at the door?
    I have told my daughter if she is in trouble to beat the hell out of a door to get help, if people can't be bothered, that shoots that idea in the butt.

I do tell my daughter to not open the door when my wife or I are not there, but my wife at 5'3" 105# has no problem seeing who it is either, she may have a .45 in her hand, but she still at least looks at what is happening.

I am not saying to blindly just open the door, but some make it sound as if "how dare they even invade my air space". Hopefully I am just misunderstanding.
    There is no reason you can not after looking to make sure there is not extra people hiding with missile launchers, open the door with the chain on it if you are scared and see what they want, have your gun at you side if needed. A door can be kicked open fairly easy, so if they have ill intent, you are probably in for the ride whether you open it or not.

Is that what America has become? Are people too paranoid to even open the door and say hi?

BTW grady, this is not an attack at you, I just say what I think, I am not the most PC person, so no offense intended. I am talking with the group, not just one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I live not far from Detroit myself, and I don't consider myself a snob for not trusting a stranger that shows up at my door.
    Not too long ago I had a solicitor show up and refuse to leave, stand there and argue that he didn't have to leave, call me a few unflattering names, and being generally obnoxious. After a call to the local PD he finally got the hint and left. By the time he got to the corner(7 houses away) my friends in blue arrived, he refused to show ID when asked, did not have a required permit for soliciting, still carrying his bad attitude with him, he was issued a citation for soliciting without a permit, for which he failed to show up in court and now has a bench warrant for his arrest.
    At that time I did not have a gun in the house, if I had he certainly would have discovered where I keep it concealed.
    Several of the friends I have on the local police force decided to keep an extra watch on my home, and he hasn't been back.
    Maybe I am a snob, but after a situation like that I feel I have the right to not trust strangers.
    Crap can hit the fan, anywhere, anytime.
    As a female you are entitled to be more cautious. But I must say that had you "ignored" this person, the call to the popo would not have happened and something bad may have happened to somebody else.

I give you a "great job" pat on the back for handling the situation. That is one less person with an issue on the street.

A big dog would be nice to have at home when you're not there. Boxers love kids and will protect your family, without going overboard and attacking someone that they shouldn't. Any dog is a good deterrent though , burglars are looking for the easy mark.
    Your response was fine. I'd be uncomfortable with two strange men knocking on my door when I'm not home also.

I am not personally attacking anyone here but, my question to you guys who refuse to open the door for anyone. What do you do when lets say a county or government official come knocking.

For example for my summer job I work for my local county mosquito control. Besides going though wood lots and such during the spring to treat standing water from the snow melt which takes us on personal property. When the wood lots dry up we are given a map of the city and we have to go door and into people back yards to search for containers, abandoned pools, dog dishes, old cars, etc.....that might be breeding mosquitoes. We have a court order or opinion that we can go onto any personal property in the interest of public health. If myself or my partner treat anything in the back yard we by law are obligated to inform you of what we treated and what we did it with. So we have to go to the door and your no soliciting sign means nothing. What do you think of that type of situation? Your no soliciting sign does not mean a thing in that situation. I can leave a note saying what I treated with, what time, and where I can be contacted at and then be on my way.

I can see why you dont trust other people and I can see being prepared when opening the door. But, just completely ignoring the door when there is a legitimate reason just seems rude to me. I dont know perhaps people from Michigan have a little more common sense instead of being overly cautious. I guess the moral of my rant with the right preparations of a quality storm door I personally dont see the reason not to answer the door. Perhaps that is because I am still a dumb 22 year old kid who doesn't have a wife or kids to defend in comparison to some of the other members on the board who has had more experience in life. Like I said I am not intentionally or personally attacking or flaming anyone and I am sorry if it seems like I have. I will get off my soap box.

Unexpected Know on the Door

Quote Originally Posted by durus View Post
    I am not personally attacking anyone here but, my question to you guys who refuse to open the door for anyone. What do you do when lets say a county or government official come knocking.
    experience in life.
    Unless I know who's on the other side of my apartment door I don't even consider opening it, PERIOD! Here's my reasoning why I don't open my door to strangers.

Recently here in Vegas there are people knocking on doors impersonating firefighters. They claim to be from the fire department soliciting donations. In another case last month a group of 5 people managed to get homeowner to open the door claiming they were police SWAT team officers. Once the homeowner opened the door he was assaulted and the home was robbed.

Nowadays unless I can verify who's on the other side of my door I don't even consider opening the door.

When I answer my door I have two things with me. They are my Glock & my cell phone. If I'm not expecting them I tell them I'm calling the police unless they verify their identity with photographic credentials. If they won't cooperate with that simple request they are NOT getting me to open my door. I value my safety too much to rely on the "trust me" attitude.

As a matter of safety I will not open my door unless I can verify their ID with photo credentials.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; February 20th, 2009 at 05:30 AM. Reason: misspelling
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Whew, just got back from driving 1,200 miles. Fortunately, it looks like we won't be burying anyone right away... (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the interesting and varied replies. Super Trucker and durus, I don't take any of it personal. We all have different situations and environments. I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's snobbery to not open the door. St. Louis has a lot of crime, and no neighborhood here is immune. Plus I was really tired when I typed that, so maybe at the time I took it a little personal. But I've slept since then.

And Super Trucker, as far as being PC, if this place ever becomes awash in PC, I'm gone because I wouldn't fit in.

Durus, you mentioned the example of city workers coming by and wanting to contact me. Well, they know my address and phone number: they can write or call. If it's an immediate nature, they are free to leave a note, and then call once they get back to the office. I'm under no obligation to open my door to verify if the knockers are city workers or not. Let them do their job and figure out how to contact me. If they are coming during the day, they need to expect a lot of people won't be home. One more unanswered knock won't mean much.

Thanks, Miggy, for the link to the camera/listening device. I LIKE that idea, and the price is reasonable.

Part of my issue is I don't have a security door installed, so once I open the main door, there is nothing separating anyone outside from anyone inside. My bad--I need to get something installed ASAP.

I'd still like to thump them for not respecting my sign, and yes it does apply to them. To their credit, they knocked lightly, perhaps not to wake anyone who was sleeping yet still loud enough to be heard by anyone who was awake.

I still don't want strangers coming to my door.

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    Safety First

Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    One guy was from Publishers Clearing House, and the other was from the IRS. . .
    One to give, the other to take it all back, plus more.

Quote Originally Posted by grady
    Super Trucker and durus, I don't take any of it personal.
    Good I don't want no hard feelings, over a difference of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by grady
    And Super Trucker, as far as being PC, if this place ever becomes awash in PC, I'm gone because I wouldn't fit in.
    I would be right behind ya!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links