A bump in the night

This is a discussion on A bump in the night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So lastnight, I was laying here in my bed, surfing firearm boards on my laptop, when I heard something on my breezeway. I say for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bump in the night

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

A bump in the night

So lastnight, I was laying here in my bed, surfing firearm boards on my laptop, when I heard something on my breezeway. I say for a minute, it stopped, then started again. I do not have a flashlight in the house, I keep it in the car, and there is no light on the breezeway. First thing I do is grab my M&P and wait for a second. Then I make sure the door is locked (the door to the breezeway is actually in my bedroom) and look out the window, see nothing. I decide I have one more option, go to the unused bedroom, which has a window directly on the breezeway and look, and low and behold, a raccoon was out there looking for food, which he never found.

For the rest of the night, the M&P that normally rest inside my nightstand was on top of the night stand.

Made mental note to self, get a flashlight either for the M&P's rail and one to keep in the house.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Definitely a good idea to have a flashlight on hand. I have a few surefire 6Ps...one LED and one xenon. I also just bought a weapon light. The Insight XTI Procyon. I was going to get the M3, but the XTI has strobe.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    I would go with a good hand held flash light versus a rail mounted one on a CC weapon. First off a holster for a gun with a flashlight mounted is going to be a lot more expensive. Your not going to want to be mounting it and taking it off every night.
    The second reason I wouldn't go with a rail mount is a safety thing. Say for example the noise you heard had been a LEO checking out something. You shine the light out the window and he looks up into the muzzle of your gun. Not a good situation. Granted if he is on your property he should inform you, but it could happen that he doesn't and now your in a situation where you could get shot. Not as likely to happen if he looks up into just a flashlight beam.

Administrator
    Use a rail mounted light correctly and you won't point the gun at anything you shouldnt. A WML is not supposed to be used like a regular flashlight. With that said, buy both. Get a decent hand held light first, worry about the WML second.
    Its a small investment and you'll use it far more often than your gun. SureFire has some inexpensive models that work great for that application.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Buy a flashlight
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

jfl
    Experience is a great teacher but sometimes she gives the test before the course
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    For now, I will bring the light in out of the car, but will be buying another for the home. I had a WML back when I had my Glock, I think it cost me well over 100 bucks, it was an M3, nice, but money is really tight right now, just put $500 under the hood of the car due to an issue.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I keep a small flashlight next to my 9mm in the night stand next to the bed. Has really helped especially since we have had serious power outages due to wind and ice twice over the last five months.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    For now, I will bring the light in out of the car, but will be buying another for the home. I had a WML back when I had my Glock, I think it cost me well over 100 bucks, it was an M3, nice, but money is really tight right now, just put $500 under the hood of the car due to an issue.
    Even if you just get a cheapo from WalMart, its better than what you have now.

I have those big latern battery type flashlights all over my house. Now, my intent isnt of a tactical nature, more for storms or other outages, but in a pinch they work fine... and they are like 5 bucks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Even if you just get a cheapo from WalMart, its better than what you have now.

I have those big latern battery type flashlights all over my house. Now, my intent isnt of a tactical nature, more for storms or other outages, but in a pinch they work fine... and they are like 5 bucks.
    yes,agree
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I like my trusty mag lights.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Something that I learned on this forum is the importance of a flashlight.
    I keep a 3 handguns in different locations of the house either in a lock box or safe (except one which is in the night stand). I keep a flash light right next to each weapon. They are not $100+ dollar tactical lights but a modest 80 lume light that should do the job.
    I keep another light in my truck with my spare mags along with a 4 D Mag Lite.

Yep, a good flashlight is important. I keep a 130 lumen tactical light on me at all times, goes wherever my knife goes (which is everywhere I go). Maglights in each nightstand and a couple more throughout the house.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

For night at home, it is a comfort to have a flaslight handy that is just 2 lumens shy of an ach welder. Spend a few bucks and get something that will completely blind the varmints of both the four legged or two legged varieties.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have the MX3 weapons light, good and inexpensive, I keep on my 229 which also has nitesights. In addition I have a handheld flashlight. As we are not allowed to load our firearms until a real threat is established, I am working out a way to hold the light and loaded mag in my left hand, leaving my right hand free to draw and load. Yes the law sucks, but it is the law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links