My floorplan - how to defend.

This is a discussion on My floorplan - how to defend. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, here is my floorplan. Any suggestions on how you would defend it? master bedroom is west of the bathroom. kids room to the east. ...

Thread: My floorplan - how to defend.

My floorplan - how to defend.

So, here is my floorplan. Any suggestions on how you would defend it?

master bedroom is west of the bathroom. kids room to the east. Front door facing North in this drawing.

singleshot 12ga in master. .45 on nightstand beside bed. (not shown)

exit point if needed is window in master. a windows AC unit in kids room. (will be out soon)

only one entrance/exit - front door. Wife knows to defend her position beside bed and wall on far side of master with her Walther P22. I take an offensive position (if necessary) with 12ga & .45 as backup.

what ideas do you have?
    Floorplan
    I'm sorry it opens in another site. I couldn't get the image to post. I'll keep working on it.

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Wide open question to many variables; how many, what is the point of entry, are you sleeping or awake. If you can I suggest claymore mines disguised as motion sensors these will will cover most situations.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Since there is only one entry and exit..makes it much easier to defend than multiple entry points.

Can't agree with a single shot 12 gauge. I would replace that with a good pump shotgun.

Your pistol caliber is my weapon of choice. Can't beat a .45

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    Since there is only one entry and exit..
    What about windows?
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

What about windows?
    Oh heck there goes my plan I just made up

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    Since there is only one entry and exit..makes it much easier to defend than multiple entry points.

Can't agree with a single shot 12 gauge. I would replace that with a good pump shotgun.

Your pistol caliber is my weapon of choice. Can't beat a .45
    Use what you got. Right?
    I'm saving for a better shotgun.
    Windows are part of exit plan if needed. I don't suggest you crawl through my window. lamp in the way. on purpse. OH, I forgot about the 4 month old GSD!
    6 more months and any intruder will give his right nut for a different house. his right will be in my gsd's mouth.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIA45 View Post
    Use what you got. Right?
    I'm saving for a better shotgun.
    Hey I can understand and respect that.

If you don't already have one, go to your local Wally World and buy one of those black elastic 5 shell carriers you can place on the stock to keep some extra shells close.

Work on shooting accurately and unloading as quickly as possible. I would practice this with bird shot shells at the range when you shoot to cut down on price and recoil as buckshot kicks like a mule in those single shots (In my experience)

You can find some Maverick pump shotguns which are made by Mossberg set up for home defense for under $200. They are good for the money, would serve you well and not break the bank.
    I think they have at least a 5-6 shell capacity with an 18.5 barrel.

Check out the swap and sell at Georgia Outdoor News. Click on the forums,scroll down to swap and sell and check out the firearms. I see decent deals on shotguns on there from time to time. Sales are face to face. www.gon.com
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Doc, the Mossberg is definately the one I'm after. Not sure which mode yet. I may go after the Maverick if it's that good a price. GON is one of the few other sites I visit. Great deals there.

I bird hunt with this single shot. My dad bought it for me at 14. Dove, quail and duck. Deer too. Reloading quick is second nature anymore. You get quick dove shooting with a single shot. I had to put a rubber recoil pad on it due to the kick. I can only imagine how bad it will kick with the buckshot.

One reason I don't mind using this shotgun for home defense is because I trust it. That's important in my book. Just like the .45. I know the outcome when I squeeze the trigger.

RIA45,

I was sort of in your situation long ago. I remember living out of the city where I needed to have some arms just to feel safe.

I had a single shot 12 gauge back then and a 10/22..

To be honest I felt protected as I knew how to use it well. After the first shot I doubt anyone would stick around to find out if its a pump or not.
    Last edited by ErikGr7; February 19th, 2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: mispell

Is the floorplan on the first floor ? Is there a garage entrance ?
    Is it an apartment or private home ?

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Is the floorplan on the first floor ? Is there a garage entrance ?
    Is it an apartment or private home ?

bosco
    this is all entrances. first floor. apartment beside a house on landlords property. apartment next to me not shown, but beside kitchen and kids bedroom. currently vacant.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIA45 View Post
    Doc, the Mossberg is definately the one I'm after. Not sure which mode yet. I may go after the Maverick if it's that good a price. GON is one of the few other sites I visit. Great deals there.

I bird hunt with this single shot. My dad bought it for me at 14. Dove, quail and duck. Deer too. Reloading quick is second nature anymore. You get quick dove shooting with a single shot. I had to put a rubber recoil pad on it due to the kick. I can only imagine how bad it will kick with the buckshot.

One reason I don't mind using this shotgun for home defense is because I trust it. That's important in my book. Just like the .45. I know the outcome when I squeeze the trigger.
    Yep, I've got a RIA Compact as well. I carry it some and like it a lot. I am a Remington 870 man but you won't go wrong with a Mossberg/Maverick.

I do some hunting as well. Doves and Ducks.

What part of Ga are you from? I'm in Villa Rica which is about 35 miles west of Atlanta.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Yep, I've got a RIA Compact as well. I carry it some and like it a lot. I am a Remington 870 man but you won't go wrong with a Mossberg/Maverick.

I do some hunting as well. Doves and Ducks.

What part of Ga are you from? I'm in Villa Rica which is about 35 miles west of Atlanta.
    I'm in Thomasville. Which is 35 miles North of Tallahassee, Fl.

I'm in Thomasville
    I have been there before. Its a nice place. Tonight I'm in Atlanta so we both got Georgia covered

Links