showing a weapon

showing a weapon

This is a discussion on showing a weapon within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; some friends of mine were on vacation I think in arizona they pulled in to let there dog's out and take a break his wife ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

showing a weapon

some friends of mine were on vacation I think in arizona they pulled in to let there dog's out and take a break his wife goes out to let the dogs roam and I think she said 4-7 guys started talking to her and had noticed her rings. well they started pushing and surounding her and eventually taking her rings. she was not a ccw permit holder at the time. if she was could she pull back/grab the gun and show that she is armed? not pulling it out. I know it's not recomended but neither is being mugged and loosing your stuff. they did not show a weapon but with one female and that many males around wouldn't that be the best thing to do?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    It's called disparity of force. 4 grown men could definitely cause serious bodily harm to her. Presenting a weapon would be perfectly legal.

In this situation though, pulling a weapon might be a bad idea. Since she was already surrounded, it would be easy for her to be disarmed...she has no way to create any distance. She should have kept her Situational Awareness high, and not allowed herself to be surrounded in the first place.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

SA should have been in full effect. Drawing and giving about a nano second before firing would be perfectly ok in FL in said senario.

added never display your weapon with the intent on scaring someone. As I said drawing would be ok in that senario as it was desparity of force.
    Last edited by Glock30SF; February 19th, 2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: add info
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

4-7 guys against one female? She should obviously fear for her life and if armed could have popped them all and no jury would convict her. Hopefully she is on her way to getting a CCW permit and now has her SA "heightened". Too bad it took such an incident to get her to come around.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

yes she and her husband have now gone to class and have sent in for there permit. we were talking about it as I have my permit and from what they got from the class is that they still couldn't do any thing. I said whynot? that many people for one person I would have had mine out and ready. that many scum bags it would have only taken a second on theire part and it all could have changed. but also seeing that many scum bags in one area and I would have been somewhere else! I knew what I would do ok or not but also don't want send them wrong direction. I am going to let them know of this post and let them join in as they know more of what went on than I do from what they said.

4 to 7 against one is a disparity regardless if a man or a woman is involved. Pushing is assault, and taking her rings forcefully is robbery, a felony. She would have been justified in producing and using her weapon to halt their attack.

I believe that she'd have been justified in using deadly force. I would.

How did she even get in that situation in the first place?....must have had a case of colo-rectal cranial insertion. I feel for her though, I can imagine that she was plenty scared.

In Oklahoma its legal to point a weapon if needed to prevent a crime.
    I don't know the laws in your state. That said at that close a distance from the bad guys I would not just show it by raising a shirt or whatever. You would be giving them even more of an advantage than they already have.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    In Oklahoma its legal to point a weapon if needed to prevent a crime.
    That's very broad...do you have a reference for this statement? At face value, I do not think this is true.

Rick

The men would more than likely leave her alone if they knew she was armed. In any event, she was fully justified to pull her gun and shoot one (or more) of these scumbags. If 4 men vs. 1 woman is not disparity of force, then I don't know what is.

Like someone else said. She would need to use her judgement on whether or not she could create enough space to successfully draw her weapon and/or shoot if need be (w/out being disarmed). Also, she should be more aware of her surroundings and not get surrounded like this in the first place.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants;

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    SA is your first defense. I wonder if some situational awareness may have prevented this encounter. Training for CC is a good place to start with your SA training as well.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member
    ...could she pull back/grab the gun and show that she is armed?
    The whole idea of "showing" you firearm is a very bad idea. If you feel your life is in danger then draw your firearm and stop the deadly threat.

Your weapon is there to save your life NOT to threaten, frighten or to warn.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    SA should have been in full effect. Drawing and giving about a nano second before firing would be perfectly ok in FL in said senario.

added never display your weapon with the intent on scaring someone. As I said drawing would be ok in that senario as it was desparity of force.
    Whats does "SA" stand for ?

VIP Member
    SA= Situational Awareness

Where do you find 7 guys robbing a girl?

It is their word against hers.

Sure she can shoot herself a door through the crowd, but who is witnessing this?

Has to be gangland or something?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links