It Can Happen Anywhere

This is a discussion on It Can Happen Anywhere within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This morning there were deputies all over our neighborhood. This is not the hood, the houses start around $300k. Turns out a convict, out for ...

Thread: It Can Happen Anywhere

It Can Happen Anywhere

This morning there were deputies all over our neighborhood. This is not the hood, the houses start around $300k. Turns out a convict, out for about a week, tried to rob a landfill worker (crooks are stupid) about 2 miles from here. After a couple of hours of chasing and tracking with dogs, he was captured in the back yard 3 houses away.

Things can happen anywhere, anytime. Never let your guard down. The wife has increased the amount of places she carries and I almost have her convinced she needs to carry at home. Now the family understands a little better when I tell them to close the garage door, lock doors when they come in and other things.

York Co. landfill worker hurt during attempted robbery | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Friday, Feb. 20, 2009
    York Co. landfill worker hurt during attempted robbery
    By Jason Foster - The Herald

YORK -- A Rock Hill man was arrested Thursday after police say he assaulted an employee at a county landfill during an attempted robbery.

Ronald Charles, 25, was charged with attempted armed robbery and assault and battery with intent to kill after the 6 a.m. incident at the York County landfill on Public Works Road.

Authorities say Charles walked up behind the landfill employee as he was opening for the day and hit him in the head from behind, according to a York County Sheriff’s Office report. Charles also tried to take the employee’s wallet, the report states.
    Quantcast

The 59-year-old employee got up to run to his truck and Charles ran away, according to the report.

The Sheriff’s Office’s K-9 unit tracked Charles to the Derby Downs subdivision, where he was arrested.

The landfill employee was taken to the hospital with minor injuries, the report states.
    I like the fact they added the "with intent to kill" on the assault and battery charge.
    We all know his lawyer will argue there was no intent to kill, but as far as I'm concerned, you strike someone in the head from behind, the intent was there. Hopefully they will keep the dirt bag locked away for a long time.

VIP Member
    pretty close to home, could have been any of us.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by akhimark View Post
    This is not the hood, the houses start around $300k.
    Which is irrelevant, of course. Why? The criminal had a car and two legs.

Lesson, as you've seen: anytime, anywhere. "Hood" or "Hills," it doesn't matter, since criminals are mobile. So are pursuits.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

jfl
    It can happen anytime, anywhere, most likely when you expect it the least !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Glad nothing bad happened with you and yours. This is definitely an opportunity for you to heighten the family's awareness and put an exclamation point on good defensive practices, as you mentioned.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Anytime anywhere, no appointment.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Which is irrelevant, of course. Why? The criminal had a car and two legs....
    Where in the article did it say that? I think I missed it.

I ageree bad things happen everywhere, the price of your home has no reflection on crime rate. Around me there are homes for 50K, but the crime rate is almost nothing, while in some areas 300K is the ghetto. No place is safe, as soon as you believe you are in a safe place is when you are likely to be a victim. Maybe this time they will keep him in jail.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Which is irrelevant, of course. Why? The criminal had a car and two legs.

Lesson, as you've seen: anytime, anywhere. "Hood" or "Hills," it doesn't matter, since criminals are mobile. So are pursuits.
    True, however, you're of course at a substantially higher or lower risk depending on the area you live in and various other factors. I think what you're saying is simply to always remain vigilant.

For instance, I live in a nice, middle-class suburban type neighborhood and my best friend lives in the ghetto. He's a great friend, but I try to avoid going there as much as possible. There are shady people walking the streets at all times it seems. My God-given instincts or "spidey-sense" as some people call it, goes off like crazy whenever I'm there. When I'm in my neighborhood or shopping at a local grocery store, my spidey-sense sometimes goes off, but not very often. It's not because I've become cocky, or complacent where I live, it's because I don't feel in danger that much, but if I did, you can bet that I'd feel the same feeling as when in my friend's area.

Every single time I've been there I've felt in danger of my life. Nothing direct yet has happened "yet"--(have only been there a few times so far), but the feeling that one moment I could be "safely" walking to his door, but in the same moment I could also be a victim of a robbery or perhaps even a potential target for a gang initiation or something along those lines. Believe it or not, my friend lived in a good neighborhood most of his life and made the conscious decision to move to the ghetto with his GIRLFRIEND because it's cheaper.

I've had safety talks with him, gun talks, other various weapon talks, and he still hasn't heeded any of my advice. It's quite scary.

And yes, I have had a few interesting encounters with BG's in my area, but they have been few and far between. Of course, all it takes is one real bad encounter, so you have to always be prepared, no matter who, what, or where you are.

Links