University-district = high-crime area (w/examples)

This is a discussion on University-district = high-crime area (w/examples) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was preparing a reply to the Rate the Safety of Your Neighborhood thread when I started copy/pasting some e-mails from the University of Washington. ...

Thread: University-district = high-crime area (w/examples)

Unhappy University-district = high-crime area (w/examples)

I was preparing a reply to the Rate the Safety of Your Neighborhood thread when I started copy/pasting some e-mails from the University of Washington. These e-mails are sent out whenever there's a strong-arm robbery, sexual assault, or other such crime in the area surrounding campus.

I thought I'd make a separate thread rather than hijack the other fella's. I really want to make clear how much crap goes down that we don't usually hear about. Apparently there's a federal standard mandating reporting of this stuff.

Anyway, it's interesting how much of the stuff that happens around here could probably be avoided if the were trained in SELF AWARENESS(!!) and carried a flashlight or something easy like that.

This post will be plenty long without more of my commentary, so here's the meat. I'm gonna list each e-mail (each incident was in its own e-mail) in chronological order, beginning this past fall quarter. Read on in disgust. See note near the end for a [potential] surprise.

1. Crime alert regarding an incident on September 20, 2008.

Assault/Sexual Offense-Indecent Liberties

The UW Police Department has received confirmation of an incident that occurred on September 20, 2008, on an outdoor stairway that connects 21st Avenue Northeast to 22nd Avenue Northeast near Northeast 52nd Street. Sometime after midnight a man assaulted a 21 year old female student by punching her, jumping on top of her and groping her. The suspect is described as a Caucasian male, wearing a black hoodie style top and blue jeans. The student was able to push her attacker away and run to safety.

2. Timely Warning Notification of a Criminal Incident September 25, 2008 Strong-Arm Robbery

This message to members of the University community is being sent in the interest of public safety and in compliance with federal law requiring timely warning notification of crimes committed on or near campus.

On September 25, 2008 at approximately 3:20PM a man entered the Parrington Hall Coffee shop and approached the counter. There were no customers present. The man demanded money and asked the food service worker to open the register. She said she was unable to do so, and the man became upset, spoke in an angry tone, and caused the victim to fear for her safety. The victim proceeded to open the register, at which point the man reached over the counter, took the money and left the premises.

3. On Sunday, October 19, 2008, at approximately 1:30 a.m., a 24 year old male student was assaulted by an individual with a folding knife near the intersection of NE 50th and 17th Ave. NE, Seattle. Just prior to the assault the victim and the suspect, who was unknown to the victim, had been arguing.
    The victim sustained a stab wound to his leg and was treated at UW Medical Center.
    The suspect fled the area prior to the arrival of police.
    **I walked by there just after it happened. Officers had just arrived on-scene and the guy who got stabbed in the leg was limping around complaining about how it stung. I could have been the one who was assaulted if I had left 5 minutes earlier...**

4. On Monday, October 20, 2008, at 10:23 p.m., a 19 year old male student was robbed by two men while walking southbound on Brooklyn Ave. N.E. where it intersects the Burke-Gilman trail. The suspects approached the victim from behind and implied they had a gun, but none was seen. The victim was not injured. The suspects fled the area after taking personal belongings from the victim; some of the victim's property was located a short distance away. The victim did the right thing by not struggling with the suspects; no amount of property is worth risking your personal safety.

5. On Saturday, November 1, 2008, at approximately 3:15 a.m., a 19 year old
    male student was robbed at NE 43rd and University Way NE, Seattle. The
    victim was stopped by a male suspect, who was desribed as short, 20 years
    old, with a buzz haircut, wearing a black puffy jacket and a dark blue
    hat. The suspect implied that he had a gun, but none was shown. The
    victim handed over a small amount of cash and a couple of personal items
    to the suspect. The suspect then left the area and the victim walked to
    his residence hall and called police. Police checked the area of the
    incident, but were unable to locate the suspect.

6. On Thursday November 13, 2008 at 3:20 pm, a male UW student was walking eastbound on the Burke Gilman Trail under the 45th Street viaduct. According to the victim, the suspect who was described as a 6', 250 lb male jumped out of the bushes, grabbed his wallet out of his hand and assaulted him with a stick. The suspect took the victim's cash out of his wallet and threw the wallet on the ground. The suspect departed in an unknown direction. The victim sustained a bump on his head and was released by the Fire Department at the scene.

7. On Friday, November 14, 2008, at approximately 10:45 p.m., a UW student was the victim of an attempted robbery at the corner of N.E. 45th St. and 16th Ave N.E.. The suspect, a female with long straight blonde hair, approached the victim and attempted to steal her purse. The victim wrestled with the suspect, they separated, and the victim ran into a nearby house for safety. The suspect then took off running in a northbound direction. The suspect was wearing a black puffy jacket with fur around the hood. The victim was not injured.

8. On Thursday, November 20, 2008, at approximately 2:40 p.m., a UW female student was the victim of a robbery at the bus stop in the 4600 block of 25th Avenue N.E. Four suspects were involved in this incident, two males and two females. One suspect, a female wearing a black puffy jacket, blue jeans, and red shoes, took the victim's cell phone. After taking the cell phone, the female suspects left on foot, and the two male accomplices boarded a bus. The male suspects were later located on the bus and arrested by Seattle Police. The female suspects are both still at large. The victim was not injured.

9. On November 21st, 2008 at approximately 3:58 p.m., Seattle Police Department officers responded to the report of a strong arm robbery that occurred in the 1400 block of N.E. 50th Street in the alley east of University Way. The victim (a female) was walking eastbound on the north sidewalk of N.E. 50th Street when two males and one female emerged form the alley. One of the males wrapped his arm around the victim's throat and held her while the other male went through the pockets of her jeans. The female suspect stood there and watched. A pre-paid cell phone and $500.00 in cash was taken from the pockets of the victim.

The male who had his arm wrapped around the victim's neck is described as being about 5'8''tall, darker complexion, app. 150 lbs and wearing a black puffy jacket with gray fur around the hood, black baseball hat and jeans. The other male is described as being about 5'8''tall, darker complexion, app. 180 lbs, wearing a gray puffy jacket, black baseball hat and jeans. The female is described as being about 5'6", 180 lbs, lighter brown complexion, wearing a white puffy jacket, hair pulled back in ponytail and jeans.

The suspects pushed the victim to the ground and fled northbound through alley east of University Way N.E. in the 5000 block. Seattle Fire Department responded to the scene to check the victim for injuries. At the time, no injuries were reported.

10. On Saturday November 22, 2008 at midnight, two male UW students were walking westbound from the 1100 block on N.E. 50th Street. When they reached 50th and Roosevelt Way, N.E., they were confronted by two males in their 20's, one of whom was described as 5'8", medium build, wearing blue jeans and a dark gray sweatshirt. This suspect pulled a black handgun from his side and pointed the weapon at one of the victims. One victim raised his hands in the air, and the other victim started backing away while saying, "Call the police, he has a gun." This victim then started running in a northeast direction. The armed suspect and his accomplice appeared to chase the victim. Neither victim stated that the suspects demanded anything; however, they believe robbery was the motive. Neither victim was injured, and there were no arrests.

11. On Friday, December 12, 2008, at approximately 7:00 a.m., a construction worker on his way to his on campus jobsite was robbed. The location of the incident was the outdoor stairs between Hall Health Center and Padelford Hall. There were three suspects described as around 20 years of age, wearing dark clothing and hooded sweatshirts with unknown writing on them. No weapons were indicated or shown. After a physical altercation, the suspects fled with personal property of the victim. The victim sustained some injuries, but declined medical aid. It is believed that one of the suspects sustained bruising to the face. Police checked the area of the incident, but were unable to locate the suspects.

12. The UW Police Department is investigating a reported case of indecent liberties that occurred on January 9, 2009 at 8:30 a.m. in a men's restroom in Odegaard Library. A male victim entered the 3rd floor restroom and noticed the male suspect loitering by the sinks. The suspect started a conversation with the victim describing his own height and weight, and asked the victim how tall he was and how much he weighed. He asked several flirtatious questions while approaching the victim. The victim attempted to leave the area, but the suspect would not move. The suspect again asked the victim how much he weighed, said "let me check," and grabbed the victim in several places. The victim stated that someone entered the restroom, which allowed him to escape. The victim was not injured in the encounter.

13. On Friday, January 9, 2009, at approximately 10:16 p.m., a male UW student was walking northbound in the 4500 block of 21st Ave. N.E. when a man unknown to him punched him in the mouth twice, stole his cell phone and ran westbound on N.E. 45th Street. The victim sustained minor injuries to his mouth but declined medical attention. The suspect is described as approximately 6' tall, thin build, wearing a light colored baseball cap, baggy white jacket with gray graphics, and baggy jeans.

On Monday, January 12, 2009, at approximately 11:57 p.m., a male victim was walking southbound on 12th Ave. N.E. towards Campus Parkway, when he was approached by two males who demanded money. The victim indicated he did not have any money. One of the two suspects attempted to grab the victim's backpack, and the victim resisted. In the ensuing scuffle, one of the suspects took out what appeared to be a handgun and struck the hand of the victim with the butt of the gun. The victim was able to retain possession of his backpack, and the suspects fled the scene. The victim sustained an injury to his hand and declined medical attention. One suspect was described as a male with a light brown complexion, 18-21- years old, 5'10", 200 lbs., with a stocky build. He was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and a black cloth over his face. The other was described as a male with a dark complexion, 18-21 years old, medium build and about 5'8" tall. He was wearing all dark clothing.

15. On Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 2:30 a.m., two male students were walking westbound on 47th St. and 16th Ave. NE when they were approached by two suspects. The suspects asked the victims for cigarettes and money. After the victims stated they had neither, the suspects pulled out handguns and continued to demand money. After repeated refusals to their demands, one of the suspects struck one victim on the face with the handgun. The injured victim then ran from the scene and was followed by the suspect. The other victim had his cell phone taken by the second suspect. He was knocked down and the suspect fled in a southbound direction, along with a third suspect who arrived later in the incident. One of the victims sustained a head injury and was transported to UW Medical Center.

16. There has been a rash of recent robbery incidents in the area north of the University of Washington's Seattle campus. The Seattle Police Department and the University of Washington Police Department continue to coordinate their efforts to make the area safer. Additional officers have been added by the University of Washington to patrol the area. The Seattle Police Department has shifted both North Precinct resources as well as citywide resources to the area. This upsurge of violent activity is unacceptable. IT WAS VERY NICE TO SEE THEM MAKE SPECIAL NOTE OF THIS IN THEIR E-MAIL

Around midnight on January 24, 2009, a male victim was walking home in the area of NE 45th Street and 9th Ave NE, when he was approached by two male suspects who demanded money. The victim was struck in the face and his wallet was taken, along with $40.00 cash. The suspects were described as males, in their mid-20's, wearing dark hooded sweatshirts.

17. NOTE: HERE'S A "TWIST," WHEREIN WE FIND OUT WHO HAS BEEN TERRORIZING U-DISTRICT RESIDENTS.
    On February 3 and 4, Seattle Police Robbery Detectives arrested three suspects in the assault and robbery of three University of Washington students in two separate incidents on January 10 and January 17. The January 10th incident occurred at 2:00 a.m. in the 4500 block of 16th Avenue NE when three suspects robbed two male victims at gunpoint. The January 17 incident occurred at approximately 2:40 a.m. when two of the suspects pistol-whipped and robbed two of the victims in the 1600 block of NE 47th Street. The suspects also threatened a third victim with a firearm.

SPD Robbery Detectives working in conjunction with the U.S. Army's Criminal Investigation Division developed information that two Fort Lewis-based soldiers were involved in the armed robberies. One suspect is a 19-year-old-male from Atlanta, Georgia. The second suspect is a 20-year-old male from Nashville, Tennessee. Both were arrested Feb 3 at Fort Lewis by Seattle Police Robbery Detectives with the assistance of Army CID agents. The two were taken to SPD Headquarters, where they were booked into King County Jail. On Feb. 4, Seattle Police, with the assistance of the Army's CID, arrested a third suspect at Fort Lewis, a 21-year-old male from Central Falls, Rhode Island. This suspect was present at the January 17th incident, but did not participate in the actual robbery or assault itself. He, too, was booked into the King County Jail. All three suspects remain in jail under arrest for felony robbery and assault.

18. On Saturday, February 7, 2009, at approximately 1:00 a.m., a female attending a fraternity party on 17th Ave. N.E. was the victim of a sexual assault. The victim is not a UW student and was attending the party with a friend. The victim was exiting a restroom and was met by two unknown males who took her to a location where she reported both suspects sexually assaulted her. The victim was transported to the hospital by her friend. One of the suspects is described as 5'8" tall with blonde hair. There is no description of the second suspect.

19. On February 8th at approximately 1:30 a.m., in the area of 22nd Avenue NE and NE
    47th Street police responded to a report of three victims who were assaulted and
    robbed by multiple suspects. The victims, two of whom are UW students, were
    confronted by the suspects. When they refused to comply with the suspects
    demands, two of the victims were punched and kicked. A third victim ran from the
    scene but was injured when he was chased through a thicket of bushes. After
    assaulting the victims, the suspects robbed them. The suspects then fled in the
    direction of Greek Row. Investigating officers developed information that led
    them to a fraternity house in the 2100 block of NE 47th Street, where officers
    located and arrested four suspects hiding inside the house. Three were
    determined to have been involved in the robbery while the fourth was wanted on
    an outstanding warrant. None of the four suspects is a UW student. All four
    suspects were subsequently booked into the King County jail.

Okay...let me catch my breath.

Notice how many of the robberies and/or assaults took place later in the day (or early morning), and that many were cases where suspects outnumbered victims. That said, even 1v2 is scary when the 1 has [what is thought to be] a firearm.

I ALWAYS ask myself "if that was me, what could I have done 1) to prevent this from happening before it started, and 2) once I was trapped in the scenario - at gun-/knife-point or facing down multiple bad guys?" Most, if not all the time, I come up with the answer that improved situational awareness is my number one tool to keep things from ever getting to the point where I'm in trouble.

I was extremely pleased to read in The Daily, the campus newspaper, that someone had taken the initiative to arm students with this all-important tool. Alpha Kappa Psi, the professional business fraternity at the UW, sponsored an event with trainers from Insights Training, who came and lectured on personal safety. Here's the full article. Again, increased awareness of one's surroundings is suggested, along with posturing yourself in an assertive (though not agressive) manner. It isn't said explicitly, but the words of the trainers scream "DON'T LOOK LIKE A SHEEP!" In fact, here's the closing quote. Greg Hamilton, Insight Training's founder and president, said "Stand up straight, look around and pay attention. If you're paying attention and look around and stand up straight, why would they pick you? One, you'll see them beforehand and tell yourself, 'Those guys aren't acting right,' and go somewhere else. And two, they'll look at you and say, 'No, that's not going to be worth it.'"

Well...I guess I'll just leave it open to be read and discussed. I'll be watching!

2. Remove Ads

Just goes to show you that Universities are not the safe places that they portray themselves to be. They are in fact the hunting grounds for wolves to prey on the .
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Most try to cover up serious crime.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

You folks are right on. The last thing any college wants to do is to let these crimes get out to the public.

"Crime? What crime? We see no crime. Your intellect is highly important to us and we assure you it will be kept safe. There is no reason to worry"

It is a shame that situational awareness is not generally taught seriously in grade school.
    Life is about choices. One who chooses to attack without cause has also chosen to accept whatever defensive measures his target has readied. If this includes violence and death, so be it.

G26--->Supertuck

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I went to the Univ of Cincinnati and this brings back memories.

I signed up for the Spokane Police Elert email alert system. They send out 10 emails a week with SERIOUS stuff happening. It has been eye opening to see some of the things that have been happening. On a positive note, I am usually the first one to know when something happens.

http://www.spokanepolice.org/signup/default.aspx

The only thing universities and colleges care about is that you stay long enough to take a few classes and give them their tuition money. They care about NOTHING else. I've been in college for four years now and this really is the case.

I get similar e-mails as well, but they are fewer. Nonetheless, I am sure crime happens but there just aren't e-mails.

Although it wasn't on campus, we recently had a violent home invasion were the victim was also raped. They were students, but living at a housing neighborhood a few miles away. There was also another home invasion around the same time. Sad stuff.

Just because the mass shooter may be a rare event, doesn't mean that other types of crimes don't happen on and around campus. Students need to be able to defend themselves. There's a lot of "guard down" type attitude with college students... they don't know any better for the most part. A lot of stuff happens with underclassmen who don't take life away from home too seriously... even though they don't do too many stupid things, their awareness levels really leave something lacking.

Another "gun free zone"
    Confuse a liberal, use logic and facts.

I guess I should also note that many of these aren't technically on- campus; its also on the immediate off-campus areas, areas that are always high crime in every university.

It also provides another reason to carry - if I lived right off campus, I should be able to carry to class so that not only do I have an option there, but ON MY WAY HOME I can also be armed. It's not fair to these people otherwise.

I can't comment on everywhere but the University I work at is a cesspool of crime.

Mostly property crime but a few robberies/rapes a year and at least one nationally recognized serial rapist/murderer.

The campus police are a joke. They're completely unprofessional, rude, unhelpful and they spend half their day at starbucks flirting with the girls behind the counter. They only patrol a very small subset of campus, most of which is spent behind the wheel ticketing speeders or responding to mysterious marijuana smells in the dormitories. They were recently censured for using their University supplied email system to share pornographic and sexually explicit email.

The campus is run by a heavy-handed do-nothing president who says he "hasn't been shown sufficient data to indicate that people carrying weapons on campus makes anyone safer"

I wish it were legal to carry on campus.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

My college is also in the middle of a "cesspool of crime." I walked two blocks off campus to buy something from a pharmacy once. It was ~3:00 in the afternoon, and I used a busy, main street. As I passed a bus stop someone hit my from behind with something, knocked me out, and ran away. They didn't take anything, just hit me and bounced. I reported it to public safety and they said they couldn't help me, it happened off campus. I tried to report it to the city police; their attitude was "What do you want us to do? What were you doing off campus anyway?"

Meanwhile, my friend and I restarted the campus Marksmanship Club, which had been inactive for many years (since the 70's). Public Safety made a big stink, basically made our lives difficult. Our school went from having a range on campus, to having a public safety department that wouldn't even let us park on campus with our rifles locked in the trunk. Since there is no secure off-campus parking we can afford, we are severely limited on when and how we can schedule range trips. It's okay, though, I feel much safer knowing Public Safety spends their time stopping students from legally transporting firearms instead of guarding the library and PC labs.

Links