This happened in a VERY quiet neighborhood!

This is a discussion on This happened in a VERY quiet neighborhood! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sunday night, in the thriving metropolis of Vriesland, Michigan a man came into the only gas station in the town and stabbed his estranged wife. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This happened in a VERY quiet neighborhood!

This happened in a VERY quiet neighborhood!

Sunday night, in the thriving metropolis of Vriesland, Michigan a man came into the only gas station in the town and stabbed his estranged wife. This is a small rural town (really isn't even a town, has 3 businesses total and is a "blink and miss it" town. The area is 100% rural and you pretty much know everybody there. I have frequented this gas station (brand new, used to share a building with the grain elevator...shows the type of area) a number of times and have met this lady before. This is NOT your typical dangerous area! When it came on the news my wife looked at me and said, "what if you had been there?". As someone who has carried everytime I have been in that store since it was legal for me to do so...how could that story have played out differently if I had been there? Or if you had been there?

UPDATE: Neighbors say Zeeland stabbing suspect had violent past

"ZEELAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) - More details are being released about a crime spree in Ottawa County Sunday night.

It all started at 8:30 Sunday evening when Bill Olbert, 53, walked into a gas station at 64th and Byron Road and stabbed his estranged wife, Mary Olbert, 49.

Immediately after the stabbing police tracked Olbert to his home on Perry Street, just a few blocks away, where it appears he started a fire before police shot and killed him.

Meanwhile, the pieces of the "why" puzzle are beginning to come together.

Neighbors say this was only a matter of time; as Mary had actually become afraid of her husband who they say had a history of domestic violence.

"She didn't seem afraid until I talked with her on Saturday night," says neighbor Kari Sikkema. "I could sense more fear."

Sikkema says Mary Olbert was growing more cautious by the day.

"They actually moved within this past week because he was following her and she did not feel safe."

Ottawa County Undersheriff Greg Steigenga says his department has had contact with the couple before because of domestic violence.

"These are often volatile situations that erupt into, typically, violence," says Steigenga.

Once deputies arrived to Olbert's Perry Street home and noticed the fire, five rushed in.

There was some type of confrontation, according to Michigan State Police Lieutenant David Roesler, and a 10 year veteran of the department shot and killed Olbert.

"Obviously he's struggling with the situation," says Steigenga. "These are things police officers, or no matter who they are, that when they encounter it can be devastating to their life as well."

The Michigan State Police have been asked to investigate the shooting. Lieutenant Roesler says they still need to interview a few of the deputies involved, as many of the details are missing.

"We haven't found a weapon, but as far as what the deputies say and what was taking place at the time, we don't have all that information yet," says Roesler.

However in the same breath, Roesler said he was confident in the deputy's actions.

"You don't make a decision to wound somebody," says Roesler. "You use it because if you don't take immediate action you are convinced that yourself or someone else is in imminent danger, great bodily harm or death."

Police also can't officially say Olbert started the fire; but have pretty clear evidence.

"There was gas in the house, and it appears it was coming from a gas line that had been tampered with," Roesler said.

To Kari the evidence is clear as well, saying even Mary knew the situation was getting out of hand.

"She worked alone over at the gas station and she did have someone walk her out because he kept coming to the gas station," she says. "I was afraid for her, he has a history of violence."
    One of the reasons deputies went into the house is because they weren't sure where the couple's 15 year old daughter was.

She turned out to be at a friend's house.

Bill and Mary had been married five years, and even though Mary had talked to police, she did not file a restraining order. "
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

Bill and Mary had been married five years, and even though Mary had talked to police, she did not file a restraining order. "
    Like a restraining order would of helped,this lady should of bought a gun and learned to use it and got a concealed license,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Like a restraining order would of helped,this lady should of bought a gun and learned to use it and got a concealed license,
    And that is the only answer!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Thats a sad story. Crime and violence can happen anywhere not just in large cities.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    You just never know. Anytime, anyplace.

We had a similar situation a few months ago.

Did she die of her wounds?

I didn't even hear about this, and I live in Grand Rapids (10 minutes away)
    it's one more thing that makes me glad I'm signed up for a CPL class next weekend...

This reminds me of a lesson I learned at an early age:

THERE IS NO SAFE PLACE

Some places are just "safer" than others, but no place is 100% safe.

Biker

That is so sad. I wish she had armed herself. Sounds like she didn't make it.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by Moto4Fun View Post
    Did she die of her wounds?
    Not as of yesterday.

Michigan State Police: Ottawa County deputy shot twice at advancing suspect; man was unarmed - Grand Rapids News - The Latest News, Blogs, Photos & Videos MLive.com

"She is listed in serious condition at Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital."

She was a statistic waiting to happen from the moment she forgave/put up with/accepted him after his first violent action. This is the subject of countless dissertations and studies. Women let violent men remain in their life and it escalates. There are very few exceptions to this behavior trend. I try not to make such grand, general statements but in this case it is right on. If I had a solution to this problem I would be rich and the world would be a safer place.

What would/could I have done? I do not know. A domestic violence scene in a confined space like a gas station is scary dangerous. If it were outside, options are better. Don't laugh, but I wish I could get away with carrying a katana.

I hope Mary will survive. If only she had a gun to protect herself.

I would not agree with WZZM in calling this a 'crime spree'...OMO.
    I doubt that this 'ex' was interested in harming anyone else, and probably wouldn't have had to guts to pick on an 'equal'.

I believe any armed man would have the right to end a 'stabbing spree'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I believe any armed man would have the right to end a 'stabbing spree'...
    I know I would have...

This just reaffirms why I carry 100% of the time I am awake and the gun is very near by when I am not.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic6384 View Post
    I didn't even hear about this, and I live in Grand Rapids (10 minutes away)
    it's one more thing that makes me glad I'm signed up for a CPL class next weekend...
    Yep, right next door, so to speak... Glad you are getting your permit! You never know what will happen or where.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links