Threatened with knife, justifiable?

This is a discussion on Threatened with knife, justifiable? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious if it would be a justifiable shooting if being threatened / attacked with a knife? Would it depend on the size of the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Threatened with knife, justifiable?

Threatened with knife, justifiable?

Just curious if it would be a justifiable shooting if being threatened / attacked with a knife? Would it depend on the size of the attacker and the victim? Would a 230lb guy have a hard time claiming self defense if a 170lb guy threatened with a blade? How about the other way around, 170lb victim and 230 lb attacker? Comments welcome.

Thanks.

-CV
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

2. Remove Ads

From the way it was explained to me in my recent ccw class it is justifiable.

a knife within 25 feet is justafiable deadly force. shoot.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Very justifiable! You should first try to get seperation (SPRINT AWAY ) from the attacker and find a barricade if at all possible, then engage. If you can't and aren't sqeezing the trigger quickly at 21' and he's coming at you your shots need to be accurate or he CAN slice/stab you to death. Two CM one to the mouth, repeat till threat is neutralized. Or use CM. I practice the former with many bad folks wearing vests these days.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; February 24th, 2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: adition
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

A knife is a deadly weapon, no matter who is holding it.

The issue then becomes one of whether the self-defense statutes of your state require you to attempt to retreat before using deadly force, or if you can meet force with equivalent force without any duty to retreat. If the former, than you have to be able to demonstrate that you were unable to retreat from the little bugger with the knife before you were forced to shoot him. If the latter, you have no such duty and can defend yourself immediately when threatened.

You're in FL. You have no duty to retreat. He pulls a knife, you're authorized to immediately respond with deadly force and may shoot him.

Life is good in the gunshine state!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

A knife is a deadly weapon and the weight of the person wielding it, would make no difference to me. Anyone within 21 ft with a knife is certainly a deadly threat. When their knife comes out, my gun comes out.

EdC
    If a reasonable person in your circumstances believed that the bad guy had the Ability, Opportunity and Intent to kill you or cause grevious bodily harm, then you would be justified in using deadly force, like shooting him. So I would say, yes, if he threatened you with a knife, and wasn't a block away, you'd be justified in shooting him, all other things being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by cv7713 View Post
    Just curious if it would be a justifiable shooting if being threatened / attacked with a knife? Would it depend on the size of the attacker and the victim? Would a 230lb guy have a hard time claiming self defense if a 170lb guy threatened with a blade? How about the other way around, 170lb victim and 230 lb attacker? Comments welcome.

Thanks.

-CV

As far as size goes. If you are worried that you, being a big guy vs. a 102lb pipsqueak with a knife would look bad, appearances can be decieving.

(think Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or what have you, they were/are pretty little guys...)

...still think you got this guy under control? no problem?
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Google "tueller drill" and read that. Understanding the Tueller drill is your legal defense for using a firearm in physical defense against a knife.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Knife?
    Mozambique 2+1
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Knives are very deadly. I forgot which forum I saw it on but, they had a self defense video showing that if someone pulls a knife within 10 ft...you won't have much of a chance of getting to your concealed gun in time. I will see if I can find the vid.

If you assume that an attacker with a knife is not a deadly threat because he is 22 ft away, you have completely misunderstood the point of the Tueller drill.

If the attacker within 25 feet with a knife is me and you have not drawn yet - you are going down. Get some blue guns and training knives, practice with some like minded friends.

VIP Member
    Individual coming at you with a knife, size doesn't matter. You are being attacked with a deadly weapon, respond in the same way you would if he had a gun. Neutralize the threat, hopefully before he reaches you.

This guy took out 3 cops with a knife.

YouTube - Psychopath with a knife attacked cops
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links