Well that'll ruin your day.

This is a discussion on Well that'll ruin your day. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let's suppose the following is a hypothetical account. By hypothetical, I mean "hypothetical" in the way 2 + 2 is hypothetically 4. It's been bad ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well that'll ruin your day.

Let's suppose the following is a hypothetical account. By hypothetical, I mean "hypothetical" in the way 2 + 2 is hypothetically 4.

It's been bad all week. The students roaming the halls have been on edge, there's been a fight and two almost fights, lots of students have been suspended, and the administration is weighed down with it all.

Classes have been noisy and disruptive and I've not so much taught as baby sat and acted as disciplinarian. For the past two days I've forced students to remain in their seats in silence and do seatwork to prevent someone from getting in trouble.

I normally write fewer than three tickets in a grading period and this week I've dished out four. The tension in the air has been palpable.

Today it all came to a head.

Approximately one hour and ten minutes ago something that's never happened to me before finally happened.

The incident began when, let's call her Precious, Precious asked, and I quote:

"I need to go to the school nurse so she can look at my third leg. It's all swelled up and it hurts."

At that point I asked Precious to join me in my "office" (the hallway) and was refused. At that point, I informed Precious we had nothing to discuss and took the referral ticket off my clipboard and wrote in the last few bits. I had already filled it out ahead of time because I knew the chance of an incident with this student was high.

Precious took a swing at me.

Understand that Precious is not a little rough around the edges or misguided. Precious has MS13 tattoos and a criminal record and came to me from the juvenile justice program. Precious got referred to said program over 2 years ago because she was caught with a knife on campus.

So here we have Precious who I honestly have to regard as possibly armed with some form of weapon coming full on at me and I am under, shall we say, extreme coercion to not so much as lay a finger on her. It lasted less than 5 seconds at least. Her first punch was a classic overextension which I simply stepped into. The two follow up blows found nothing but air in similar fashion.

At this point the rest of this group, salty as they are, is shocked and quiet for the first time... well, ever. With hands up and palms open I told Precious to immediately report to the front office and she took off. A moment later after getting someone to watch the rest of them I did too.

Long story short we have the incident on videotape and showed it to the campus officer, and within 15 minutes of the incident the officer took Precious and a copy of the tape away from campus in handcuffs.

I can't really tell you any more of the facts, etc. regarding the incident or where it occurred or who it happened to and I hope you can appreciate why. I hope you understand why as far as I'm concerned, this is a "hypothetical" incident.

And by the way I'm fine, not a scratch on me, thank you for asking. And hypothetically if I were the person in this story I'd also add I'll never see Precious again at least not in a classroom. Texas law guarantees it.

Food for thought.

Lead Moderator
    I would be "hypothetically" be watching my back, and worrry about this student or her gang buddies coming after you. Hope it all works out well for you, watch your back.
    perhaps asking security to ecort you to your car, might be a good idea, since CCW on campus is illegal(unfortunately).

Watch yourself Euc Be careful.. Rockys got the right ideal ask the Security to walk ya to car .. etc

ever seen the movie "187" with samuel jackson? be careful.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Um Samuel jackson shot him self in 187 playing russian roulette course i don't think euc is gonna play that

Assistant Administrator
    That Euc is scary ****.

I honestly do not envy you and your work and applaud you for having the guts to do it at all. Sad reflection on present day society all this hypothetical stuff is - and goes to show that (in theory) a good many heads need banged together - often!!

Stay safe fella and watch six - but more than usual.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hypothetically, I'd say you would've handled yourself very well in that situation. I'd also echo the sentiments to watch your six and take that extra bit of precaution. Seems ExSoldier deals with much the same type of "students" IIRC, perhaps he can add some food for thought.
    Jack

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I would echo the stuff about watching your six. you might want to keep your eye on the other eleven while you are at it.

I have a sneaking feeling you would hypothetically be well advised to keep an eye out for anyone following you on your way home.

Euclidian, I am sure Precious's leg did actually hurt and you know about her poor family condition and her dad is in jail and her mom never pays her any attention and her brother is a drughead and her pet was stolen and.......It's just not her fault!
    You watch your back stay safe. It's a shame how it is today. I'm 50 and when I was in school the only thing worse than backtalking a teacher was backtalking to your dad!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Euc, you're a better man than I. I couldn't teach today's youth. I'd be in need of some therapy and huge amounts of pharmaceuticals.

Watch your back. MS13 is nothing to mess with, ifyaknowwhatimean.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I would be "hypothetically" be watching my back, and worrry about this student or her gang buddies coming after you. Hope it all works out well for you, watch your back.
    perhaps asking security to ecort you to your car, might be a good idea, since CCW on campus is illegal(unfortunately).
    I am not a lawyer and you may already know this, but I was taught in my CHL class that in Texas you cannot carry on the premises of a school however pemises excludes the parking lot. You can leave your gun in your car. However your employee agreeement may forbid it. Would be worth checking this. Also would not be able to carry on the parking lot if a scool sponsored activity was being conducted on the parking lot.
    Applicable Texas law says:

PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits
    an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or
    about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.
    (b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this
    section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the
    offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by
    this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
    PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits
    an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses
    or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon
    listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution,
    any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or
    educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation
    vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or
    educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written
    regulations or written authorization of the institution;

The law continues:
    (c) In this section:
    (1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.

46.035 says:

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The
    term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk
    or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    "I need to go to the school nurse so she can look at my third leg. It's all swelled up and it hurts."
    Just how "female" is Precious?

Euc, I think ya did good. You handled the situation professionally and responsibly. I would certainly consider the advice from others here about checking your six and I'm sure you will.

"Hypothetically" speaking, I'd have slugged her in the face and been done with her. Self-defense is self-defense regardless of where the incident takes place. I can certainly understand why you took the action you did however. Kudos to you for being more professional than I would have been in that situation.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Senior Moderator
    Well done Euc! Excellent control of yourself and the situation. If you had gone the macho route and "engaged", you'd probably be in an unpleasant situation with the school even though you were justified.

In Tennessee, one does NOT have the right to defend himself on school property; one only has the right to protect himself - that's what you did.

GOOD WORK! You deserve a hero badge! I mean it!

Hi Euc, I've been there. I used to teach unruly high school students. I had fights and weapons in the classroom. They were armed and all I had was my SAK. Talk about being out guned.

You did the right thing, if she is in MS13, you better watch your six. They don't like anybody to stand-up to a member.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links