Thought I was going to have to draw today...

This is a discussion on Thought I was going to have to draw today... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the local hardware store today, pulled into parking space behind an older model SUV and got out of the car to go ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thought I was going to have to draw today...

Thought I was going to have to draw today...

I went to the local hardware store today, pulled into parking space behind an older model SUV and got out of the car to go inside for a return. After I took a few steps I realized I had left the item in the car and as I turned to go around to the other side of the car, I noticed a guy walking all the way around my car to put a small package in the back of his vehicle. He made a comment about how close I got to his vehicle when I parked. I said "well I can move back if I need to". He said "no, I was able to get the back door open".

As I walked back around my car to go into the store, I looked down and noticed that I was behind the white line marking the parking spot I was in and the back of his vehicle was actually in part of my space. I told him that as I walked by with him getting into his SUV with dark tinted windows. About that time, I heard a man yell from somewhere inside the vehicle, "well we were here first(like that made it ok), so you better get your [Edited] store". Well I'm not accustomed to someone talking to me like this so I was taken aback at first but then had to think about what to do.

I had my Colt in my right front pocket, so I put my hand in pocket to take off safety. I looked back to make sure no traffic was behind me as I approached the store keeping my eyes on the vehicle from which the threat came. I got inside the stores front door and watched as the SUV slowly pulled away. I made sure it had turned onto the main highway and was going down the road before I went about my business in the store.

Is there anything I could/should have done differently? I tell you these things happen so fast, you don't have a lot of time to think. I told my wife as I relayed the story to her (after I got back home) that if that scum had bolted out of that vehicle, I probably would have drawn and shot. I'm not saying that would have been the right thing to do, but that is what I feel like I would have done. Of course my wife reminded me the bgs don't play fair. He could have easily rolled the window down or cracked open the door and shot me.

I just grateful the outcome was one that allowed me sit down tonight and tell my story to you and hear what you have to say. Have a great week.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 2nd, 2009 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Language.
    Eternity...it's Hell without Jesus

USN 1969-1973
    USS Jonas Ingram DD938

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I probably wouldn't have said a word to them. I would have pretended not to have heard the jerk's comment about how close that I parked to them and went about my business. It seems that talking to these fools just seems to escalate things. I'm secure in my manhood. I have the satisfaction of knowing that I was the better man.

Sounds like you were dealing with some dudes that were trying to act all hard. They would have dropped a deuce in their drawers if they had tried to attack you and you were forced to introduce them to Mr. Colt's business end.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member
    It just seems like the public is no longer courteous. Bad manners are everywhere.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I probably wouldn't have said a word to them. I would have pretended not to have heard the jerk's comment about how close that I parked to them and went about my business. It seems that talking to these fools just seems to escalate things. I'm secure in my manhood. I have the satisfaction of knowing that I was the better man.
    +1 Well said sometimes you just have to suck it up, I really would hate to explain in court how the situation developed.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Yep sometimes hindsight is better than being right.When carrying even tho it sounds like a cop out it's better to just shup and walk away,some juriys may look at a verbal confrontation that escalates into you drawing a gun as you possibly escalating the situation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I understand where you are coming from, I get ticked off with people like that too. Since I've started carrying I have really started to prepare myself mentally for such everyday situations and how to properly handle them since I have a weapon.

I have a hard time with it myself, but sometimes just letting them be idiots is the best way. But I do know how you feel.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I can picture the newspaper headline......

"Dispute over parking space turns deadly....local man arrested"

The incident started when the victim objected to the position of the shooters vehicle and escalated in to a deadly confrontation when a passenger in the victim's car suggested to the shooter that he continue on his way to the store. After the deadly shooting the shooter issued this statement "Well I'm not accustomed to someone talking to me like that".

The media just loves this kind of stuff!

Since I have been carrying I notice that i'm much quicker to back away from situations. Sometimes I even wish I was unarmed so that I could speak my mind.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
    I had my Colt in my right front pocket, so I put my hand in pocket to take off safety.
    Ok, maybe I read this wrong and I am assuming you are talking about a 1911 "single action" semi-automatic firearm. If that is in fact they type of weapon we are talking about, to disengage the safety while it is still in your pocket is an extremely dangerous practice.

In fact, disengaging a manual safety from any weapon which has one, while it is still in your pants pocket is on the dangerous side.

You could be developing a bad habit if how you described it is in fact what you meant.

Manual safeties, especially on 1911 platforms should only be disengaged after you have cleared your holster and/or pants pocket and when you are actually bringing the weapon up on target. Finger outside of trigger guard and along side the frame as well.

You are absolutely correct in the fact that incidents do happen fast and repetitive training on how to correctly get your gun "into play" is the only way to avoid catastrophe.

Be careful and practice sound and proven draw techniques which are recommended by reputable firearm instructors.

There are safe methods of drawing and presenting a firearm from virtually any place or position you carry it.

Learn to avoid dangerous acts and you'll avoid disastrous results.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well it appears the mods edited my post so that may take away from some of the impact of what happened. I do not use the language I heard yesterday nor would I put it a website, however I did abbreviate so the readers would know what happened. Just be aware what was said was not what I would want my wife or grandchildren or anyone else to have to hear.

USN 1969-1973
    USS Jonas Ingram DD938

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I can picture the newspaper headline......

"Dispute over parking space turns deadly....local man arrested"

The incident started when the victim objected to the position of the shooters vehicle and escalated in to a deadly confrontation when a passenger in the victim's car suggested to the shooter that he continue on his way to the store. After the deadly shooting the shooter issued this statement "Well I'm not accustomed to someone talking to me like that".

The media just loves this kind of stuff!
    I can assure you that is not how I would respond to the media. They probably would not get anything out of me.

USN 1969-1973
    USS Jonas Ingram DD938

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Maybe a bit of an over-reaction on your part?
    I'll be the first to admit I get a bit "testy" if somebody parks too close to my vehicle, but I do park well out of the way of other cars in the parking lot and in one space. If somebody parks so close to me that it makes it hard to get my door open and get in I will say something if they are around. Clean language, but they clearly know I'm not pleased. I don't park next to vans or other trucks that block my view as I approach my vehicle for safety reasons and usually park 10 spaces or so from others in the lot.
    I'd be concerned if you felt it necessary to draw on me for being unhappy about your being to close. What made you feel you might need to draw, the language that seems to be your main concern or disparity of force or something else?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

You can't waste your time getting upset over bad manners. Life is too short and your blood pressure is probably high enough already.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Was there other parking spaces available? Parking close to a SUV with darkened windows is something I would avoid. Look for open spaces away from the building with good line of sight . Keep all suggestions and remarks to myself.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

He claimed you parked too close. You offered to move, he declined. CASE CLOSED.

Now you make the claim he is wrong by parking in your space. This could be considered an escalation.

See he accused you, now you're accusing him....

You made a move for a weapon before any clear threat of deadly force was present, bad move I say. Some might even call that an "Itchy Finger."

Please take to heed the warning too about removing the safety before drawing and getting the weapon on target. Please pay attention as this is offered from many folks learning experience.

Learn to access people and situations without the desire to draw down on folks. Presenting that firearm without using it will only cause you grave bodily harm, or worse. It will never be an equalizer in a verbal argument.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links