How did I handle this situation?

This is a discussion on How did I handle this situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so this happened a couple weeks ago, but I've been lazy and didn't think it was a big deal. But after thinking about it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did I handle this situation?

How did I handle this situation?

Okay, so this happened a couple weeks ago, but I've been lazy and didn't think it was a big deal. But after thinking about it more, I wonder if I handled the following situation well

I was with my fiance and some of her family at her aunt's house. They have all seen my gun, but I don't know if they knew I carried. But they are fine with all of it anyhow. So, we were sitting in the kitchen just talking, while the uncle was at work for the evening. While we were chatting, the alarm system made the beeping sound they make when a door opens (system was not armed). Her aunt yells to see if it was her husband...no answer. So by this point I'm on high alert and starting to get that, oh boy feeling.

So my fiance looks right at me with that go check it out look. So I proceed to the stairwell and look at the front door, which is closed and locked. The only other door it cold have been was the one further downstairs that goes into the garage, and the garage door was supposed to be closed. So I yell down there to see if I get a response, nothing. I unholster and step back and ask for a flashlight (this situation also showed me I need an EDC light, which I ordered last night!). I get a flashlight and slowly proceed down the stair and peer around the corner with light and gun. I see that the door is cracked open a little bit, and I really start to wonder. I then peek around the corner into the only other room down there and see nothing. Then I push the door open with my foot and find the garage empty and door closed. Apparently there was enough wind outside to somehow get into the garage and force the door open.

My question is, should we have just called police? The aunt said the garage door was closed, and no one can get in any other way, so deep down I knew it was something like the wind. But of course I was still very worried of something else possibly. I thought about calling the police, but didn't know if this situation warranted it or not.

What do you guys think?
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

Install deadbolt on that door

VIP Member
    +1 on the dead bolt. sounds like you handled it well, glad it was nothing.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

fm2
    Good call on the flashlight.
    I'd recommend 2 flashlights. One like a photon micro-light, about $10, for most use and a more powerful light, 80-130 lumens for sd use.

Yeah call the cops next time. Because when seconds count they are only minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed4032 View Post
    Yeah call the cops next time. Because when seconds count they are only minutes away.
    While this statement is fairly accurate, calling the cops to come take a look anyways (even if it's after the matter of fact) can give a family a certain peace of mind that can't easily be attained through other means. With that said, I would only suggest this if something really creepy happened and one's family was freaking out even though you've already cleared the house. Plus, who knows--perhaps they'll find something that you didn't notice.

BamaSteve, the situation you were in is interesting because it wasn't something so blatant happening that you would automatically call the cops, but it caused you to react to whatever it was and decided to take matters into your own hands. You were equipped with a gun and a flashlight, so if I was in your position I honestly would have probably done the exact same thing. I might have secured the family together in a safe location and made up an extremely quick plan for them should the crap have hit the fan.

Also, like others have said, make sure to install that deadbolt and get yourself a few high quality flashlights.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I unholster and step back and ask for a flashlight (this situation also showed me I need an EDC light, which I ordered last night!).
    Try to get some low light training to go with that flashlight. Shooting in the dark while simultaneously manipulating a gun and a flashlight is one of those things that's deceptively difficult. Shooting at night can be a real eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Try to get some low light training to go with that flashlight. Shooting in the dark while simultaneously manipulating a gun and a flashlight is one of those things that's deceptively difficult. Shooting at night can be a real eye opener.
    This is actually something I really want to do in a few months after I get out of school, when I have time and money.

As far as the deadbolt goes, you better believe if it was my house there would be one. But, it's the aunt and uncle's place. Hopefully they will close doors better from now on.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Shooting at night can be a real eye opener.
    lol.. I get it....

Quote Originally Posted by Editingfx View Post
    lol.. I get it....
    Glad you did and welcome to the forum.

Steve you did fine. I agree with the EDC light too.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Lead Moderator
    Sounds as if you did o.k. A few points
    1. searching someone elses house , room ect. is even more difficult than your own.
    2. traversing down stairs while trying to clear an area is more than difficult.
    3. Waiting 5-10 minutes , calling PD and listening , rather than searching might be a better option.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sounds as if you did o.k. A few points
    1. searching someone elses house , room ect. is even more difficult than your own.
    2. traversing down stairs while trying to clear an area is more than difficult.
    3. Waiting 5-10 minutes , calling PD and listening , rather than searching might be a better option.
    On point one, I totally agree, but know their house decently well. Not saying that I know it well enough, especially considering I have no tactical training.

Your second point emphasizes the need for training, I can't wait til I can take some training...sounds like fun to me
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

along with all the right advice already stated which should be heeded, you might want to google the castle doctorine for your state and see how or if it applies to you in this particular situation. knowledge is power.

Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    along with all the right advice already stated which should be heeded, you might want to google the castle doctorine for your state and see how or if it applies to you in this particular situation. knowledge is power.
    are you talking about a "stand your ground" law. As to what I've read, Alabama is a "stand your ground" state. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

thats the one. every state has a little different spin on it. along with everything else we have to stay on top of this is another one. good luck to you and stay safe......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links