crisis averted - twice

This is a discussion on crisis averted - twice within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RIA45 The wife and I went for a walk a little after dark and brought the dog. a few minutes into the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: crisis averted - twice

Quote Originally Posted by RIA45 View Post
    The wife and I went for a walk a little after dark and brought the dog. a few minutes into the walk a man on a bike comes riding his way down the dead end. I see him and alert the wife, uncover the .45, and continue to walk. Just in case the guy is just out riding. As he gets 20 yards out the dog sees him and at the same time the guy slams his feet down, not using the breaks. The dog barks slightly and the guy says 'woh'. At that exact moment I almost drew on him. If he had not said woh, like he was scared of the dog I would have seriously drawn on him and told him to back up. The wife was prepared with the light to flash him in the eyes. Crisis averted. I pulled the dog and off we went. Watching our six.
    On the way back down to the house I see two people coming. The wife things its the guy again with a friend. This time the GSD alerted on them much sooner. Turned out to be two women walking. Crisis averted again.

Because we were aware of our surroundings and had a plan we were prepared for this guys ill intentions had he had any. The 5 month old GSD performed well, and as expected. Growled, barked and backed down when called to.

comments?
    Switch to decaf!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Turned out to be two women walking. Crisis averted again.
    MORE crisis? Sir, I honestly believe you should get some training immediately and/or rethink your decision to carry a weapon. If these events are your idea of "crises", then you are a court date waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Editingfx View Post
    MORE crisis? Sir, I honestly believe you should get some training immediately and/or rethink your decision to carry a weapon. If these events are your idea of "crises", then you are a court date waiting to happen.
    Or morgue date, remember you are not the only CCW holder.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

WOW... is all I have to say......

The fact you even 'considered' or had the thought of drawing on the guy on the bike concerns me.

If the guy on the bike saw you drawing a weapon..... you may be the one who gets shot, and justifiably so. He had presented no danger at all, however .. if you had drawn... you did.

My .02 cents, but you might consider the words.... "an ACTUAL threat to your LIFE'.

Now, if you are just running 'what if' scenarios in your head... that's a different matter.

ok, this may be slightly off topic, im not going to get into the giving advise , as i wasnt there, i just have one mabye dumb question, what exactly is a GSD? im asuming it is another way of saying guard dog? but whatabout the S? just curious, the dog sounds like a good pup, what breed?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    ok, this may be slightly off topic, im not going to get into the giving advise , as i wasnt there, i just have one mabye dumb question, what exactly is a GSD? im asuming it is another way of saying guard dog? but whatabout the S? just curious, the dog sounds like a good pup, what breed?
    IMHO:
    GSD = German Shepherd Dog
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    the dog sounds like a good pup, what breed?
    Actually that was my other concern the dog should not be alerting barking at every single person they encounter. An owner that encourages that is in the process of creating a vicious dog. I will not even go into what I think about all the folks who get big dogs with no idea how to properly raise train them. As a breeder I will not let anyone like that have any of our dogs. Our contract demands proper training socialization. If the owners fails to do that to my satisfaction they lose the dog no refund no nadda cept a butt whoopin if they insist. I really really hate that. I quit breeding Am staffs because of all the idiots
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Actually that was my other concern the dog should not be alerting barking at every single person they encounter. An owner that encourages that is in the process of creating a vicious dog. I will not even go into what I think about all the folks who get big dogs with no idea how to properly raise train them. As a breeder I will not let anyone like that have any of our dogs. Our contract demands proper training socialization. If the owners fails to do that to my satisfaction they lose the dog no refund no nadda cept a butt whoopin if they insist. I really really hate that. I quit breeding Am staffs because of all the idiots
    +1 I had to sign a contract with the breeder when I got Max that he would go to school and be trained and socialized properly. She also adds in her contract other things like they will not be allowed to ride in the back of a pick-up truck bed. She really cares about the breed and dogs in general. She screens people heavily before they are can buy from her.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Sound a bit too jumpy to me. Good you are alert, but perhaps just a bit to quick to sound the alarm.

I didn't read all the posts but wanted to add something. I have been attacked a few times by dogs while riding a bike (turning wheels???), once (the worst one) when I was a bit younger the dog actually got ME while on the bike. Couple good jerks by both dog and me and he let loose. SCARY stuff for a youngster, and I still remember like it was yesterday. When a dog "goes on alert" and barks I STOP now. Might be a stretch, but maybe same deal.
    Last edited by yzcrasher; March 7th, 2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: fixed attached..funny stuff
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Quote Originally Posted by yzcrasher View Post
    I didn't read all the posts but wanted to add something. I have been attached a few times by dogs while riding a bike (turning wheels???), once (the worst one) when I was a bit younger the dog actually got ME while on the bike. Couple good jerks by both dog and me and he let loose. SCARY stuff for a youngster, and I still remember like it was yesterday. When a dog "goes on alert" and barks I STOP now. Might be a stretch, but maybe same deal.
    I was attached by a dog once also, didn't give him a jerk but I did have turn the hose on him to get him off my leg!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I was attached by a dog once also, didn't give him a jerk but I did have turn the hose on him to get him off my leg!
    This thing needs grammer check.... or I need to keep better watch of my fingers.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    i guess i may have misunderstood exactly what was meant by the dog alerting, now that i re-read it, the dog did seem a bit on edge, the whole growling bit, ....i see your point, and i also get iritated when folks get dogs just for there looks, and dont properly train socialize them..anyway, off topic, sorry

Maybe a description of the guy on the bike would help convey your reason for being alarmed. It it was an average guy just riding his road bike wearing exercise clothing, helmet, etc, I don't see any reason to be alarmed. If he looked like he didn't belong in the neighborhood, was wearing a shady looking coat, riding a pink childrens/teen sized bike that would seem a bit strange.

Also, I don't really see 2 women walking down the street as a "crisis" that has to be averted.

Situational awareness is a good thing, and will save you sooner or later, but it is more about looking for things out of the ordinary or people watching you/ moving towards your personal space than being paranoid that two women are out looking to beat up and mug a guy, his wife and their dog.

Also, +1 to what others said about the dog. It is good for it to be alert and calm down when ordered, but it also should not be barking at anyone that passes by. Even if it is under your control and on a leash it can be a major annoyance for you eventually. I have a 8 month lab pup that will bark and stand his ground in front of the door if it is someone he doesn't know and I am not right in the room with him, but as soon as I come in he calms down. He will not bark at people when I am with him or other dogs, even when they are going crazy trying to get a rise out of him. It makes it a much more pleasant experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    +1 I had to sign a contract with the breeder when I got Max that he would go to school and be trained and socialized properly. She also adds in her contract other things like they will not be allowed to ride in the back of a pick-up truck bed. She really cares about the breed and dogs in general. She screens people heavily before they are can buy from her.
    Exactly, sounds like a responsible breeder. Rots are wonderful animals sadly they are another breed that is prone to be abused. I will never understand people that encourage their puppy to bark at bicyclists or anyone walking on the street. That think it is somehow cool to have their big dog intimidate everyone they see on the street. They just do not get it. If I ever hear of anyone doing that with one of our puppies they would lose that dog so fast they would not even know what hit them.

This whole thread is really disconcerting to me. The original post is scary. Why does any one think any of it is in anyway OK? It is exactly the kind of thing I expect the Brady Bunch to copy and publish far and wide as proof positive that people with guns are cowboys waiting for an excuse to blow someone away.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links