crisis averted - twice - Page 5

crisis averted - twice

This is a discussion on crisis averted - twice within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; RIA 45, Sounds to me like you and your dog both need some training. You are situationally alert but you are way too paranoid. I ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: crisis averted - twice

RIA 45,
    Sounds to me like you and your dog both need some training. You are situationally alert but you are way too paranoid.

I would be willing to bet that that guy on the bike was totally unaware that you were even there and you scared the crap out of him.

The 2 women walking thing just plain eludes me. Do you honestly think that you should be the only person out walking? In my neighborhood people are out walking all day and half the night too.

As far as your dog altering his behavior and barking at people while on the leash, that behavior is not good. You will have problems later if you allow this to continue. You need to seek out some dog training for you both. Your dog and you need to learn appropriate behavior in social situations. Performing watch/guard dog duties in the house is desired but not out in public.

Pattern emerging

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...their-ccw.html

"RIA45

I would take the poll, but you do not provide an answer for me. I drew my weapon, but didn't fire. My GSD alerted to something, or someone in the brush late at night when I was working on my car. Because I heard people walking, talking, I knew someone was in an area they should not be. I holstered my weapon after the GSD moved into a relaxed state. I moved back from the shadows and continued to work on the car. 4 kids walked by the house a few minutes later.
    Did I overreact. I don't think so. So, no poll answer for me."

There is a pattern here. I hope the only thing you do is upset those of us on this forum. If your posts are legit. someone is likely to get hurt and your life will be ruined.

I think it's good to be aware of your surroundings and always thinking about "what would I do if", but we also have to be able to dicern the difference. JMHO.

I also heard somewhere that "if all you have is a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail".
    drawing your gun should always be the last thing you do. Even if you find yourself in a confrontation with someone, you should tried to diffuse the situation any way you can before you resort to drawing your weapon and then only if your life is being threatened. JMHO
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

there are several of us here at work that have carry permits. One of my co-employees owns a gun store as well that offers the permit class. With that being said, we have one employee here that carries all the time wishing and itching for an oportunity to draw his weapon. why? we have no earthly idea. maybe its paranoia or ego we don't know. My belief is that my fellow draw happy co-worker is not alone. Based on the story it sounds like this guy and his wife are wanting to draw on someone. The last thing I ever want to do is pull my weapon on another human being, because if I pull the weapon im pulling the trigger. Personal defense weapons are only for my life or my familys life. everthing else can be handled by running away. my opinion and my opinion only, not meant to offend.

Paranoid CCW Permit Holder

Quote Originally Posted by tngunner View Post
    we have one employee here that carries all the time wishing and itching for an oportunity to draw his weapon. why? we have no earthly idea.
    This is one person who I would have serious concerns about with regard to "wishing and itching" for an incident to draw his weapon. These kind of people get people seriously hurt or injured if they wish to draw their weapon.
    I totally agree with you that the LAST thing I want to do is to be in a situation where drawing your weapon was necessary. I don't ever want to be in that position whatsoever.
    The next logical step is that I would have to fire my weapon in self defense. I don't want to be put in the position where I may have to take a life. I will if I absolutely have to if my life is truly in jeopardy. But that is something I absolutely want to avoid if humanly possible. These type people put anyone they associate with in jeopardy.
    I would avoid being around this person if a situation could present itself if he may "brandish" a firearm. This could put people who is around them in danger.
    I used to work armed security with someone like this some time ago. This guy was a "wannabe" police officer. He applied to three of local police agencies. He made it as far as the "psychological evaluation" process of becoming a police officer. He didn't make it past this point of the process! He had a bad attitude more often than not.
    I did everything I could to get this armed security guard OFF my shift. I was glad when he was reassigned to another property. This guy was the worst type armed security officer to work with regards to all our safety.
    Please be careful when you are with this person. He could put anyone he is with in jeopardy if he finds the "right" situation to draw his firearm.
    Please proceed cautiously!
    Been there, done that!
    Last edited by Pikachu711; March 9th, 2009 at 04:11 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RIA45 View Post
    The wife and I went for a walk a little after dark and brought the dog. a few minutes into the walk a man on a bike comes riding his way down the dead end. I see him and alert the wife, uncover the .45, and continue to walk. Just in case the guy is just out riding. As he gets 20 yards out the dog sees him and at the same time the guy slams his feet down, not using the breaks. The dog barks slightly and the guy says 'woh'. At that exact moment I almost drew on him. If he had not said woh, like he was scared of the dog I would have seriously drawn on him and told him to back up. The wife was prepared with the light to flash him in the eyes. Crisis averted. I pulled the dog and off we went. Watching our six.
    On the way back down to the house I see two people coming. The wife things its the guy again with a friend. This time the GSD alerted on them much sooner. Turned out to be two women walking. Crisis averted again.

Because we were aware of our surroundings and had a plan we were prepared for this guys ill intentions had he had any. The 5 month old GSD performed well, and as expected. Growled, barked and backed down when called to.

comments?
    Do you always uncover your firearm the moment you see someone? What is your definition of a crisis?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I was attached by a dog once also, didn't give him a jerk but I did have turn the hose on him to get him off my leg!
    Almost shot coffee out my nose!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by trainer23 View Post
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...their-ccw.html
    Quote Originally Posted by RIA45 View Post
    I would take the poll, but you do not provide an answer for me. I drew my weapon, but didn't fire. My GSD alerted to something, or someone in the brush late at night when I was working on my car. Because I heard people walking, talking, I knew someone was in an area they should not be. I holstered my weapon after the GSD moved into a relaxed state. I moved back from the shadows and continued to work on the car. 4 kids walked by the house a few minutes later.
    Did I overreact. I don't think so. So, no poll answer for me.

There is a pattern here. I hope the only thing you do is upset those of us on this forum. If your posts are legit. someone is likely to get hurt and your life will be ruined.
    Good observation very scary indeed
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by georgewain View Post
    RIA 45,
    Sounds to me like you and your dog both need some training. You are situationally alert but you are way too paranoid.
    Isn't that an contradiction if someone is situationally alert does that not imply an accurate assessment of the situation? There is nothing about the OP that indicated an accurate assessment of the situation. A blind man could make an more accurate assessment of his surroundings than what was stated. A blind man could have accurately assessed that a neighbor was riding his bike and two ladies were out for an evening stroll. Nice quite neighborhood. While the OP's assessment was so distorted that had anyone farted the dog would have been ripping them to sheds as the OP emptied his gun it every thing that moved. There was no situational awareness here, zip, nadda

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

If my dog barks at or into the dark I usually lay down some suppressing fire while my wife automatically flanks left and drops and rolls into a defensive shooting position. Then if we recieve no incoming rounds we start to clear the dark area and then use flashlights to find any bloodtrails.

Diary of a Trail Ninja!

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Man, I'm glad I don't ride a bike in your neighbor hood. I would hate to get shot for riding a bike and using my feet to stop. Not everything is a crisis. There are a lot of people in jail who thought their actions were justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Man, I'm glad I don't ride a bike in your neighbor hood. I would hate to get shot for riding a bike and using my feet to stop. Not everything is a crisis. There are a lot of people in jail who thought their actions were justified.
    There is always the insanity defense.

JRI
    I just wonder how you can sleep at night with your senses set on an "alert" level that high.

These "what would you do" scenarios can be useful but some push well beyond the envelope. Since when is every stranger you encounter in a public area a perceived threat?

Here we have a guy riding a bicycle down the street and because he comes to a abrupt stop as your dog starts barking at him, he is the threat? Can he consider you and the wife with the vicious attack dog a threat against him? Later, two women on bicycles set off the alarm bells.

I just feel there is point at which being "aware" of your surroundings goes over the line into paranoia.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links