Angry Dogs On The Trail... - Page 2

Angry Dogs On The Trail...

This is a discussion on Angry Dogs On The Trail... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the good comments. I think a walking stick is a good idea. I also would be caring my handgun now. I felt ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 67

Thread: Angry Dogs On The Trail...

  1. #16
    Member Array AgeTurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    33
    Thanks for all the good comments. I think a walking stick is a good idea. I also would be caring my handgun now. I felt I had done a fairly good job at handling the situation, but am happy to learn more. I do not want to have to shoot a dog, but like rottkeeper I love me some me too!

    Paymeister- I like your idea of the rope and milk jug. I may just try that sometime.

    Landric-Thanks for sharing your stories, they are very helpful.

    bsnow-I often act like an idiot, wonder why I didn't then???


  2. #17
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    My question is would anyone have handled this differently? If carring a gun would you have drawn on these dogs. Of course I only had a knife and the only time I would be using it on the dog is if it is attacking me. If you draw on a dog when would you shoot? I know that a lot of dogs will sometime growl and stand their ground without attacking. However, you never know and these dogs were moving closer.
    I'd say you did OK, you went home in one piece. That's the most important thing.

    Remember Harold Fish? It was over some dogs that his troubles started. Be careful is what I'm saying, and make sure it's your "best" option in most cases. Landric had the benefit of being there because of his job. He didn't have the option of leaving, so his shootings, while investigated fully I'm sure, won't be looked at the same as a non-LEO or an off duty LEO. Not picking on anyone, just giving you all some food for thought.

    People get very attatched to their dogs, and even attribute human qualities to them. If this is right or wrong I do not know. I do know that I love my three dogs though, but not at the cost of a human life. That is still the most valuable thing to me, mine and my wife's most so. I will do what I have to do to protect those lives.

    Biker

  3. #18
    Member Array mfcmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    435
    Part of why I carry is because of past encounters with dogs in our neighborhood.

    Yes, I would have drawn.

    Dogs react to your body language, scent and vibe. If you've drawn and are preparing to shoot (if necessary), with steely-eyed calm and firm resolve, the dogs will most likely at least keep their distance.

    By the way, I believe that in most jurisdictions dogs are legally considered property, not people, so killing one is not murder but rather destruction of property.

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array cvhoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by hidden View Post
    I simply can't see myself ever shooting a dog, for any reason - but that's just me and my dog loving personality. I'd bring a pack of hot dogs and a tennis ball on hikes, that ought to negate wild K9 troubles. Bears...now that's a different story.
    I'm going to guess that you or your loved ones have never been attacked by a dog.

    Many years ago, when my children were 6 & 10, they were waiting at the school bus stop with about a dozen children. Two of the kids who had walked some distance to the bus stop were followed by their family's pit bull where it proceeded to attack my 6 yr. old daughter. My 10 yr. old son was then attacked when he tried to get the dog off of his sister. A passerby stopped and kicked the dog off of her and she then ran to the our house with blood all over her face to get me. She was too hysterical to convey to me that the attack was over so I grabbed my shotgun and went running down the road. When I got there, a police cruiser was already there and the dog was locked in the back seat of the cruiser. I offer no apologies in that I begged the police officer to open the door and I would guarantee that the dog would never hurt anyone again but I couldn't get him to do that. Luckily, my son & daughter only had puncture woulds on their face, neck and arms from the dog bites and no ripping of flesh occurred so they healed physically but it took my son over 20 years to get to the point that he would let his own children have a dog of any type.

    From the CDC:
    How big is the problem?

    * About 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year.
    * Almost one in five of those who are bitten :a total of 885,000: require medical attention for dog bite-related injuries.
    * In 2006, more than 31,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of being bitten by dogs.
    A vicious dog isn't something to be tossing hot dogs at. If you're armed, draw your weapon and be prepared to use it unless you don't mind becoming his lunch.

    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

    NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array tns0038's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,169
    I had something similar happen 20 plus years ago while hunting, on private property. My 12 garage Remington load with number 6 squirrel load terminated them quickly.

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Hoss, sorry to here what your kids went through. As far as I can see I am the biggest dog lover there is, but we need to put things in perspective sometimes. If that were my kids I would feel exactly the same and don't know if I would have had the same restraint you did so kudos to you. If someone says that they love dogs so much they could not shoot one that has run amuk but could shoot a human who has seems to have higher regard for animals than human life. That bothers me a bit to think someone would use lethal force on a human before an animal. JMHO
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

  7. #22
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    My 12 garage Remington load with number 6 squirrel load terminated them quickly.
    Thats a hell of a load, can you really shoot a garage out of a gun?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

  8. #23
    Member Array FreeDelivery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    132
    Draw when there is considerable reason to fear grave bodily harm.
    Fire when threat of grave bodily harm becomes apparent.
    [/textbookanswer]

  9. #24
    Member Array Moto4Fun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fresno
    Posts
    26
    Interesting discussion that is far from cut and dry. I imagine, in my neighbohood, here in California, I might face serious charges if I discharged a weapon to avoid a dog attack. People view their animals as offspring/siblings/spouses and would go to great lengths to defend them. That being said, I would also be livid if someone walking their own dog shot and killed my dog if she went after them. But that is because I know my dog would not attack and kill a human. Her primary motivation is to be the dominant female in her pack. I have broken up numerous dog fight and gained control of dogs fairly easily and would not be ok with someone drawing and shooting in any of those scenarios.

    But that is why the discussion is not a clear cut issue. I have never had an encounter with a Pit or variation, Rot, or other form of "Assault Dog". If I were afraid of not being able to gain control of said dog without risking my life/health, then I fully support shooting to kill. They are in fact, just dogs.

  10. #25
    Member Array Gadfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDelivery View Post
    Draw when there is considerable reason to fear grave bodily harm.
    Fire when threat of grave bodily harm becomes apparent.
    [/textbookanswer]
    As a lifetime pianist, I consider a jammed pinky finger to be "grave bodily harm", so I'd shoot w/o remorse if a snarling dog came charging at me. I get the benefit of the doubt every time.

    Sadly, I had to take out one of my own dogs (a vicious lab/pitt mix that the shelter idiots assured us was "a sweetie") after he nearly killed one of our other dogs. After several death matches, the final straw came and "Buddy" and I went for a one-way hike.

    I have zero tolerance for vicious dogs. And less so for their ignorant and/or negligent owners. Fish had the misfortune to shoot before AZ's Castle Doctrine law was enacted.
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto4Fun View Post
    I have never had an encounter with a Pit or variation, Rot, or other form of "Assault Dog". If I were afraid of not being able to gain control of said dog without risking my life/health, then I fully support shooting to kill. They are in fact, just dogs.
    What makes a rottie an assault dog? Only if they are trained to or misused will they as ANY breed become an assault dog. Secondly you were very luck when you broke up other dog fights and came out unscathed. I suggest you Google the breed and read before you classify them, thats how they get the bad rap to begin with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    After several death matches, the final straw came and "Buddy" and I went for a one-way hike.

    I have zero tolerance for vicious dogs. And less so for their ignorant and/or negligent owners. Fish had the misfortune to shoot before AZ's Castle Doctrine law was enacted.
    Around here that would get you charged for animal cruelty as you were in no danger at the time. A vet will do it humanly if the animal has a problem.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

  12. #27
    Senior Member Array Landric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Metro
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Around here that would get you charged for animal cruelty as you were in no danger at the time. A vet will do it humanly if the animal has a problem.
    Have we really gotten to the point in our society that we are such wimps that we have to pay someone to do something we can do ourselves because of the idea that poisoning is more humane than shooting?

    I understand having a vet put down a well loved friend that was sick and suffering to avoid the additional pain of doing it one's self. However, a vicious dog that is dangerous is not a well loved friend. If one knows that one's dog is vicious/dangerous, then one needs to address the problem. I doubt that shooting said dog is less "humane" than poisoning it, but it is much less expensive and doesn't subject others (people or animals) to possible danger when one takes said dangerous dog to the vet to be put down.

    I wouldn't file charges against a vicious dog owner who decided to put his dog down rather than risk harm to others. Anyone who would is a unrealistic weenie sap.
    -Landric

    "The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

  13. #28
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Have we really gotten to the point in our society that we are such wimps that we have to pay someone to do something we can do ourselves because of the idea that poisoning is more humane than shooting?



    I wouldn't file charges against a vicious dog owner who decided to put his dog down rather than risk harm to others. Anyone who would is a unrealistic weenie sap.
    I am not a wimp just because I don't agree with the method used or for any other reason for that matter. I am more concerned about people botching the job and causing the animal to suffer or get away injured. You read your own reasoning into my statement. And I would not file charges as long as is was done in a decent and discrete manner but we know that some will have disregard for for that. If putting your own dog down was widely excepted I would hate to see the manner in which people would carry it out. I'm sure I will get flamed for this but so be it.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

  14. #29
    New Member Array Sod Farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    7
    Where I come from, dogs are "property" the same as livestock. There is no question that, as the owner of property, I can destroy it in a humane manner. A gun is considered humane when applied properly. There would be no legal question. "Animal cruelty????? - - - give me a break!

  15. #30
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod Farmer View Post
    Where I come from, dogs are "property" the same as livestock. There is no question that, as the owner of property, I can destroy it in a humane manner. A gun is considered humane when applied properly. There would be no legal question. "Animal cruelty????? - - - give me a break!
    First of all I will give you a break as you are new and haven't even introduced yourself before jumping in the water. Welcome from NY.

    In the past in my area we have had several people arrested for animal cruelty because of reasons I mentioned in other posts. The worst was an old lady and her son who wanted to get rid if three dogs so they shot them. The dogs did not die and for whatever reason they decided to use poison and that attempt failed. The third attempt worked as they burned them to death. I know everyone looks at animals differently, but many have been pretty poor at carrying out the final deed. There have been many cases over the years of people not being prepared to finish the job off when there first attempt goes bad. That is my point.... I will add in the case of the old lady and her son it took several days before the dogs died, would you say thats not cruel?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Guy on trail in woods
    By h0kie in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: January 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM
  2. I'm stunned, and I'm angry, really angry
    By Rugergirl in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: October 8th, 2009, 07:08 AM
  3. No paper trail
    By jdivence in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: November 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM
  4. VA Creeper trail
    By ghawk249 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 12th, 2008, 09:25 PM
  5. Bourbon Trail
    By KG4ZRC in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: September 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Search tags for this page

can you carry a gun creeper trail

Click on a term to search for related topics.