Angry Dogs On The Trail...

This is a discussion on Angry Dogs On The Trail... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like you handled it just fine. I'd probably do much the same. If heading into the "wilds" where you can be stuck alone, better ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Angry Dogs On The Trail...

Sounds like you handled it just fine. I'd probably do much the same. If heading into the "wilds" where you can be stuck alone, better to go with a companion ... and better to both be armed. 'Cause, you never know what's going to come 'round the bend, as this situation shows.

I by no means think it is ok to abuse any animals. Folks who abuse animals should be punished according to the law.
    There's the rub. IMO, folks who allow their animals to run free in areas where they can act wild toward others are, basically, abusing their responsibilities as community members. They're allowing their dogs to get into situations like this; they're putting others and their dogs in harm's way; they're forcing others to make the decision of animal control for them. So be it, if it comes to that, sad as it may seem.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Yamikaze View Post
    Michigan recently pass a law saying we can legally defend ourselves against dogs.
    I do a lot of bike riding. I have been chased many times. I always carry when I walk or ride now that I have my license.
    Why did they have to pass a law to make it legal? You can defend yourself against a human why not a dog? Just a question
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I'm a big fan of a walking stick, preferably about 5' long, whilst on trails. They come in very handy, especially in hilly terrain. I also believe in carrying an aerosol horn, in the event you should need to signal for help. Both of these could be used as a deterrent to a canine threat. I would only use my gun as a matter of last resort. I know a lot of folks would use their gun to signal for help. In the woods or wide open spaces it can be hard sometimes to tell where a gunshot is coming from. A long sustained blast from an air horn is easier to track. I also don't believe a gun should ever be fired unless it's a matter of self defense or putting meat on the table. That's my $.02.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

My very first posting here, as well as my introduction to the whole idea of a reason to be armed came about from a similar event.

"A while back, I had an incident hiking with my wife. Long story short - we ended up back to back fending off two Dobermans and a Pittbull with our wooden staffs while they circled, snarled, snapped, and lunged for the 30 seconds it took for the owners to catch up and physically pull them off."

While I'd like to believe that I could handle a vicious dog with a good staff in hand, if there are multiple dogs, attacking one opens you up to the others. I grew up with dogs. I like dogs, but make no mistake, a dog pack is life threatening!

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    +1 OC spray is my first option with a threatening, but not actively attacking dog. I have read that dogs respiratory system and eyes are much more sensitive to OC then people.

check out this video:
    YouTube - Dog Attacks Officer

one could always carry a concealed Anaconda...

YouTube - Anaconda attacks dog
    I tried OCS on a vicious stray dog once, cold watter out of a garden hose would have been more effective....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sod Farmer View Post
    rottkeeper -

Below is your quote:
    "Around here that would get you charged for animal cruelty as you were in no danger at the time. A vet will do it humanly if the animal has a problem."

Are you serious? Are you telling me that if I lived in NY, I couldn't take my own vicious dog out and kill it without risking being charged with a crime????? If so I'm sure glad I don't live in NY.
    I believe most states have such laws...doesn't mean that you can't dispose of a problem if you had to...I'm just saying...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I by no means think it is ok to abuse any animals. Folks who abuse animals should be punished according to the law.
    I can assure you my dog was not abused--he was killed. [That's one of the nice things about living 15 miles from the main road.]

My decisions are NOT made by committee or poll.
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

I am truely astonished with some of the laws that apparently exist where some of you live. Here in Iowa, provided that you are in a location where it is legal to shoot a firearm (outside of city limits), you can legally shoot any animal that poses a threat to you or your property. You can certainly shoot any animal that belongs to you for any reason. I'm not saying that you can abuse or otherwise cause pain or suffering of any animal just for some sadistic or twisted satisfaction. Animal cruelty is clearly illegal.

Reminds me of a friend that had a swine business that sold registered breeding stock. The neighbor had two dogs that ran loose and had made a habit of coming over to chase and bite the boars my friend was raising. My friend went over to the neighbors and nicely asked him to keep his dogs home and explained the problems that they were creating. The neighbor flatly denied that the dogs in question were his, and that my friend was mistaken about the identity of the dogs. A couple of days later, the dogs showed up again and jumped in the pen and resumed their normal routine of chasing and biting. BANG BANG and the problem was solved. A few days later, the neighbor shows up and asks my friend if he had seen his dogs lately. My friend said, "No, I haven't seen YOUR dogs".

It's not terribly un-common for a small percentage of "farm dogs" to start running wild and form small packs. These dogs still come home to eat and socialize with the family, but lead a sort of secret life on the side. When it happens, the farmers take care of it, and the owners take it in stride because they know it can not and will not be tolerated. Further more, the owners could be held responsible for damages. When Sparky comes home with a bullet hole in his leg, the owner is likely to ask a few neighbors if he has been causing trouble. If he has, Sparky will probably never be seen again. I've never heard of anyone ever being charged with a crime around here in the situations I have described. I have however, heard of the owners of the dogs being sued for damages by the owners of the livestock that they destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Why did they have to pass a law to make it legal? You can defend yourself against a human why not a dog? Just a question
    I think it was an amendment to the holding your ground clause. Going by memory so I can't be sure.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Sod Farmer View Post
    It's not terribly un-common for a small percentage of "farm dogs" to start running wild and form small packs. These dogs still come home to eat and socialize with the family, but lead a sort of secret life on the side.

BANG BANG and the problem was solved. A few days later, the neighbor shows up and asks my friend if he had seen his dogs lately. My friend said, "No, I haven't seen YOUR dogs".
    Yep read post no 35# Huge +1 on that, N secondly it is referred to as SSS Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

also a dog lover but...

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like to say that I thoroughly enjoy the discussions and opinions. I have owned and been around dogs for nearly 30 yrs. This topic is a hot button of mine because, most of the time this is not only the animal's fault. I have been fortunate so far to not have any serious ill effects from dogs, but know enough people who have. With some exceptions I'm sure, most of this incidents we are talking about are due to irresponsible dog owners. Yes that's correct, the humans involved. I'm an avid outdoor person and it tees me off when I keep my dog under control, on a leash or in a yard, and somebody else's dog makes a charge towards me or my dog with my dog at the immediate disadvantage of being leashed and thus making it more difficult to defend herself. In response to the original thread, in NE we can defend against a dog that we feel is in a position to harm or threaten bodily harm. My younger brother was viciously attacted as a child by a dog that the owner claimed "wouldn't hurt a fly" and to this day doesn't like dogs (with good reason). I spend many hours biking and running around my community and in the rural/state park setting and have come a cross many dogs that I wasn't sure if they would attact or just bark. On one of several occasions, while on a training ride in the countryside, a dog attacked me nipping at my heels (he couldn't keep up with me and managed to only get my heels), and nearly cost me what would have been a pretty good crash (potentially serious bodily harm), followed up with a good mauling/attack. This dog in particular had attacked others and the owners knew about it, still letting it run loose. At the time I did not have my CCW, so I vowed to not leave myself so vulnerable again. So I carried OC for a long time, and discovered that it pretty much pisses off a determined dog. An undetermined dog may stop in his tracks. To this day it shocks me on how unapologetic people are when I very nicely and courteously let them know what happened, that their dog runs loose and attacked myseof or others. They usually say he "usually" doesn't do that. Well I'm telling them their Sparky does, and they do nothing.
    As I go along, I know most of the dogs on my routes, and they bark as their form of hello anymore. But we have occasional ferral dogs that roam. I definately feel that if a dog is going to be aggressive that you should deal with it as is appropriate even if it means getting a lead injection. But I feel that oftens times the owners are not held accountable for their irresponsibility in dog ownership and they should be pursued. I recently purchased another handgun for this very purpose, that is easier to carry while running and biking. For those who consider dogs as people (giving them human characteristics....) we wouldn't allow our kids to act this way, so why are you allowing your other "kids" (dog) to act this way. KEEP'EM on a leash, fenced in, or be prepared to accept the consequences.
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Well said.

Welcome to the Forum.

-Maklioso

I had a dog attack me while on a bike many years ago. Caused an accident which laid me up for two weeks. I have no sympathy for aggressive dogs. Verdict- dead dog.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I not only would, I have drawn on unattended dogs advancing on me with obvious ill intent. I have also pulled my knife when I was not allowed to carry a gun. I yell at them and try to make them understand that I am the boss and that usually works. I have not had to shoot any and I don't want to as I am a dog lover but I will if I have to. I'm not being bitten if I can avoid it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Saw a post on another site where a gangbanger's pit was threatening a CCW holder. He yelled out: "Tu . . . el perro . . . no me importa"

For you gringos, that translates as : "You . . . your dog . . . doesn't matter to me".

That's how I interpret the Castle Doctrine in my home state. Two legs or four, you try to hurt me--you're going down.
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links