Angry Dogs On The Trail...

This is a discussion on Angry Dogs On The Trail... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend has his CCW but tends to not carry about the farm, (I do) and had a pack of 3 Pitt Bulls attack and ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Angry Dogs On The Trail...

Happened 2 weeks ago....

A friend has his CCW but tends to not carry about the farm, (I do) and had a pack of 3 Pitt Bulls attack and kill one of his Mini Pony's, he called the police, the dogs were still in the area when they showed up, and they killed two of the dogs, one got away.
    I have not talked to him recently but the dogs had tags.... and the owner is liable for all dammages....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

I was chased by a dog when I was riding my bike in NJ, all I had was my small knife. I jumped off the bike had my knife in hand and moved toward dog. Fluffy stopped in his tracks turned tail and ran. I would of killed it if it attacked me. To all the doggie lovers that say dogs are so nice and special, no matter if it is a poodle or a Pit or a Rot. Dogs are Predators. Rots and Pits and Shepard’s and Dobermans and ect. Were bread for certain tasks. It is in their breed It is part of them. In my job I have met some of coolest Pit bulls And some of the meanest(I used to work in Camden NJ). Some would never hurt a fly. But it is in their breed. Deny the truth all you want, but it is what it is. I have seen dogs that just are having fun when they are killing/attacking. If some irresponsible dog owners dog attacks me, I will kill it. Then I will Sue for the cost of the bullets. And about OC, it does not always work on all dogs. But the one I sprayed sure did. I had no malice against the dog or the owner, I feel the dog was doing his job. My job required me to access the small cable PEDS for cable TV. Sometimes these Peds are in peoples backyards and not Necessarily in the yard of the home I am there for. As in this case. I didn’t find it in first yard so I walked onto neighbors driveway and looked thru open gate and I saw the ped, and at same time I see a large dog, and he sees me at the same time. I could see him thinking. “Hey Who are you and what are you doing in My yard” So he barks and comes running towards me I am backing up and drawing my pepper spray, I am now way off his property and he is still advancing. So I gave a quick spray and it takes just a moment, he stopped everything he was doing, hesitated for just a moment then lowered his head to his paws on the grass and was wiping away like mad. At this time the owner of the dog starts calling his dog wondering where he is (The reason the gate was open is the owner was moving rocks into his yard with a wheel barrel). The dog hears owner and takes off to him. I follow and get the owners attention and inform him I sprayed his dog and he should Decontaminate his pooch with some water. He get a hose and does just that, I told him I advised him about cleaning the dog because I wanted to make sure dog will be OK. The owner was a little upset with me and said I didn’t need to spray his dog. I told him why I did, and stated it could have been a much worse outcome. I left, looked for a cop didn’t find one so I called the police. Explained my side of the story to the dispatcher, and expressed my concerns. He said this conversation is being recorded and He felt I did the right thing. I do feel bad for the Dog as he was just doing his job and just slightly stepped over the line

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Are you asking would we have handled it differently, being armed, or if we were hypothetically unarmed (or armed only with a knife) as you were?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Are you asking would we have handled it differently, being armed, or if we were hypothetically unarmed (or armed only with a knife) as you were?
    I asked 3 questions. I just noticed I only used a question mark on 2 of the questions they were:

1. My question is would anyone have handled this differently?

2. If carring a gun would you have drawn on these dogs. (as you can see I tried to trick all of you by using a period at the end of that sentence instead of a question mark.)

3. If you draw on a dog when would you shoot?

Again, thanks to all who added comments.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Ah, got it now, thanks :)

I would have drawn on the dogs, yes. I wouldn't have bothered with a knife. A dog that intends harm would have grabbed, say, your hand, and with the other one by its side, it could have turned into "pack mentality" lightning fast, In fact, sounds like they were already that way. If a dog grabs your hand, honestly, what good would your knife have been? With two dogs, if they wanted to bring you down and bring you down quick, I'm honestly not sure you'd have the chance to get a good slice or stab in anyhow. I think you did right about calling to the owners, I would have done the same thing. Good thinking! You definitely handled it well.

And as far as having already drawn, I would probably have fired if they were both running at me, just as they were coming into striking distance (as far as them being able to leap on or bite me, that is). Unless they acted friendly. Which apparently they did not.

Exclamation Condition red!

Quote Originally Posted by AgeTurner View Post
    If you draw on a dog when would you shoot?
    If I draw on anyone or ANYTHING, I've moved into "CONDITION RED" that = combat. Ipso facto, whatever I'm facing is suddenly deceased of acute lead poisoning.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have a cabin in the PA mountains and it is normal to have dogs dropped off in the woods because people cant train them or afford them..they pack up and run deer down or attack humans if hungry enough. All my friends and the locals carry for that reason only.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links