Angry Dogs On The Trail...

This is a discussion on Angry Dogs On The Trail... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok folks here is a story of mine. It happened about 10 years ago, and I was not carrying a gun at the time. My ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Angry Dogs On The Trail...

Ok folks here is a story of mine. It happened about 10 years ago, and I was not carrying a gun at the time.

My soon to be wife and I were on a small hike when we came upon two very angry dogs running free. We were just emerging from a narrow trail into a more open area when we saw the dogs. The dogs were alone and I could not see a possible owner anywhere. They were both medium to large sized and both growling and showing their teeth at us.

So, my response was first to stop moving toward them. I was in front of my happy wife to be who was feeling all of a sudden not so happy. So I told her to back up, she did. With the dogs approx. 20 to 30 feet away I thought that I didn't want to run away into the narrow trail where the dogs could catch me. So I took out my spyderco knife and opened it. Now, I am not trained in the art of knife to dog fighting but I like to think I am a quick learner in the arts. My hope was that an owner would show up and call Daisy and Fluffy to them.

About this time the dogs were a wee bit closer, I was about to turn green and very big, when the happy owner showed up. They were about 50 yards away and I yelled "These your dogs?" Indeed they were and the owner started to frantically call them over. I did not move or put my knife away until those dogs where on a rope. Then I walked on. I did tell the owner they had better keep those dogs on a leash before they hurt someone, or someone hurts them.

My question is would anyone have handled this differently? If carring a gun would you have drawn on these dogs. Of course I only had a knife and the only time I would be using it on the dog is if it is attacking me. If you draw on a dog when would you shoot? I know that a lot of dogs will sometime growl and stand their ground without attacking. However, you never know and these dogs were moving closer.

Teo medium to large dogs growling and advancing on me You bet your sweet bippy I will draw,then I will yell at them to try to back them off or get the owners attention,I feel like the dogs gonna attack and I will put some HST in his chest
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'd wish them a nice journey into doggy heaven.

Seriously, it's a judgment call at that point. If I had reason to believe the owners might be nearby, I'd probably hold off on shooting until I absolutely had to. 20 feet away is too close for comfort. I've trained with sheriff's german shepherds and at that distance they are locked onto your arm before you can blink.
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

VIP Member
    I would definately draw, and wait. Any sudden forward movements may result in a long nap for puppy.

I've never personally tried it, but I've heard a moving dog is hard to hit.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    For training, I have heard it suggested that one tie a long (50'?) rope to an empty milk jug. Straddle the rope a good distance from the milk jug, and have a helper behind you pull the rope. Your job is to put holes in the milk jug as it bounces towards you. I doubt I could do it very well, so I may start earlier than others might when faced with the real thing.

I think you did fine: you walked away! But had I been there and carrying I might have taken action. Hard to say. Odds are I would have missed and scared the dogs, solving the problem without much cost. But I certainly would have been ready to put them down!

But the "fearing for your life" comes into play. Your scenario justifies that, so far as I'm concerned. Mine didn't: I had a furious chiuahua in the middle of the gravel road, firmly convinced that I was trespassing on his land (I was waiting for a ride one morning). Luckily he felt honor had been preserved by my staying on my side of the road and it was merely a verbal confrontation. I had made my peace with an ER visit and stitches, though, rather than to blow him away and suffer ever after under the nickname of "Yap-yap".
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Senior Moderator
    I would rather have a stick against a dog than a knife

So my first advice is to get a quality walking stick.

And yeah I would draw on dogs that I feared would attack me or my family.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Two dogs coming toward me?

I think I would have drawn and then started to shout at them.

I would hold until they charged at me and then I would let lose

If your justified to draw your knife then you are to draw a gun. Either one is presenting a deadly weapon and if it gets to that point then either one could be drawn. Most people dont think of a knife in the same sense as a gun as they have many other uses but for defense either one is a very deadly tool.

I think you did just fine, like said above youd have to be a good shot and pretty dang quick to hit a dog running at you. I personally am looking at a Taurus Judge for carry on trails and stuff because I have a lot better chance of hitting something small with a shot shell (snakes mainly) and can take out a lot of bigger things with a .45 (wolves are getting thicker). I think a lot of regular dogs would turn and run if hit with even a few pellets from a shot shell.

I've shot two dogs in separate incidents. In my case I was there because someone called complaining about vicious dogs and animal control wasn't working.

1- Report of large black mutt chasing people into their house. I get there, see the dog, which is in the middle of a residential street. Stupid me, being a general dog lover and thinking that the dog doesn't look that dangerous, I approach it trying to get it to go back into its yard. At first the dog seems to be doing just that, then I guess he got fed up with me. We were still in the street, he suddenly charges forward (I was way too close to him) and bites me on the leg. I saw it coming, and tried to get out of the way, be he still got me. As he bit, I cleared leather and fired a single shot down into his back, then started backpedaling, punched the gun out in front of me, and fired two more shots at his center of mass two handed (the first shot was strong hand only). It all happened very fast, I'd say at most a second and a half elapsed between my first and last shots, and it might have been less than that.

It appears that my first round severed the dog's spine between the front and rear legs. It was starting to fall when I fired the last two rounds (as I said it happened very quickly, by the time I was able to process what I was seeing I had fired the last two shots). I knew one of the last two rounds struck him behind the front shoulder because I could see the wound after it was over. He tried to get up several times, but it was clear he didn't have any control over the back half of his body.

Since I was bitten, they had to send the dog off for rabies testing. He was negative, but as part of the exam they checked the body and found the third gunshot wound, also in the body. So, I was three for three.

2- Another report of a vicious dog, this time it was what appeared to be a Rot/Pit Bull mix. He was in the yard of a vacant house and had been chasing people around the neighborhood. He was growling and barking, so I kept my distance waiting for another officer to bring the dog truck so we could try and capture him. While I was waiting, he decided to charge out of the yard to at me on the sidewalk. Lesson learned, I already had my pistol out and had kept my distance. Once it became clear he wasn't bluffing (about 25 feet away or so), I fired two shots. The first hit him in the head. He reared up and turned sideways at the impact and my second round struck him just behind the front shoulder. He was stopped, but not killed. Dogs are tough, the officer with the dog truck showed up about 15 seconds after my second shot and we loaded him into the truck and took him to the pound to be put down. He walked into the pound under his own power with two gunshot wounds.

Moving targets are hard enough to hit. On a charging dog often the only target is the head. Especially on some of the breeds, the head is a tough nut to crack. In my second incident the first shot didn't penetrate the skull, it struck pretty solid, but it deflected off. Luckily it had the effect of turning the dog and presenting me with a good body shot.

I shoot a lot of IDPA, and I think that more than anything else helped me in the above situations. I had shot at moving targets before, and had plenty of experience with fast, sighted fire. With the exception of the first shot in the first incident (which was at near contact range), I used the sights on all the shots I fired (and they all hit, I think there is a lesson there).

In both cases I was shooting a Glock 22 .40S&W. In case one the ammunition was Winchester Ranger 180 grain SXT, in the second case we had switched to Remington 180 grain Golden Sabre.

I think the OP did well. Had he been armed I think drawing would have been more than justified, and shooting if the dogs moved to attack.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

since I used to hike a lot and came across all sorts of animals that could mess me up I think I would have at minimum shot a warning off in an attempt to scare them off and if that did not work well as much as I love dogs they would no longer be with us.

I think that you'd have been fine to draw your weapon on the dogs,as long as they didn't advance I wouldn't shoot them though.
    A couple of times I have had to pull my gun and fire a warning shot at loose dogs with bad intentions. Both times they took of running. Once was when walking my female boxer, three dogs came out of the woods wanting to fight. Another time I had all 3 of my dogs with me and 2 dogs came flying out of a yard. I love dogs but I would have killed them rather than risk them hurting my dogs or me. I was stupid enough to get in the middle of a dog fight once, it won't happen again.

and now my 2 cents for what it's worth. I walk every day for the benefit of exercise and enjoy it. i am very blessed where i live, very rural. when i started this 3 years ago i just took off walking (SO STUPID) but it is what it is. wasn't long before one beautiful p.m. it's me trying to fend off someones pit bull by trying to yell it down and all that looking big stuff, got more exercise from that action than the walk! anyway i guess he was neutered or whatever because i escaped by acting like an idiot and it may have lost interest in me. since i live in an area that any stray mutt or whatever critter could place me on there menu i
    got me a hickory walking stick, a good fixed blade sharpie and carry my high cap. .40 cal under my coat, (legal w\o cwp in most rural areas, again where i live) and my walking hasn't stopped because of this issue. yes i have had many critters, dogs, skunks, beaver, and bigger cross my path in the woods but so far the walking stick alone works, but yes back up is on both hips.

I simply can't see myself ever shooting a dog, for any reason - but that's just me and my dog loving personality. I'd bring a pack of hot dogs and a tennis ball on hikes, that ought to negate wild K9 troubles. Bears...now that's a different story.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    ... I escaped by acting like an idiot ...
    Hey, I may actually have better self-defense training than I realized!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I'm a dog lover too, but I also love my arms, legs, throat and so on. I would say you would have been justified too draw under those circumstances. As long as they weren't advancing I would have waited just as you did. All and all you did a great job.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links