Defensive Carry banner

What should you do ? (VIDEO)

6K views 65 replies 55 participants last post by  rloph 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I like how the customers acted like no big deal, when he walks in. The one dummy pulls out his wad of cash and pays the clerk! Then why they are fighting over the gun, they stand there and watch. I would have been gone, lol.

#4 ·
They watched? What idiots.
I'd have left as soon as my brain engaged my feet (iow, after the shock of figuring it out).

#5 ·
Those customers are obviously MORONS. Standing around waiting to see what happens, like a couple of kids watching a schoolyard fight. The clerk, he is an idiot too for ignoring the obvious threat. Then, when he gets his gun, he pushes it forward and within reach of the robber. He should have shot the robber, soon has he had the gun up, not stand there waiting to see what the robber would do in reaction to seeing him having a gun now too.

#8 ·
I second that. All I could think watching was that during the struggle, that would be a perfect time for the two shoppers to help the clerk out as they weren't in quite as much danger anymore.

#24 ·
Uh, 'cause you are at work

#9 ·
Pretty crazy scene.

White hat guy could have easily pulled a gun and put one in the BG's head. I don't think it would matter how you were carrying, there was plenty of time to go out to your car, get a gun, and then come back and shoot the BG if that was the intention.

#10 · (Edited)
If I were the guy in the white hat, (assuming I am unarmed), I would have at least stepped in to help out the clerk, while they wire fighting over the gun. A nice crack to the back of the guys head or something. DO SOMETHING MORONS!!!

#11 ·
If I were the guy in the white hat, (assuming I am unarmed), I would have at least stepped in to help out the clerk, while they wire fighting over the gun. A nice crack to the back of the guys head or something. DO SOMETHING MORONS!!!
Yup. Me too. Grab a can of soup off the shelf and smack him in the head at the very least!
Especially when the perp struggles to get the clerks weapon away from him. That pretty much says to me that the perps weapon is not real or is inoperable or at the least he is not inclined to use it. What kind of idiot grabs someone else's weapon when you have your own?

Also agree with sass20485's comment about the clerk letting his weapon get within reach of the perp. When his firearm was grabbed, he should of stepped back abruptly, which pulls the alignment onto target, and pulled the trigger. Not engaged in a tug of war!

I am hoping that the bystanders were trying to be good witnesses, but still seemed to be in the :sheep: mode.

OMO; If one of them were armed, it could be argued that their own lives were not imminently threatened, however if you told the perp to drop the gun, and he turns towards you instead, that would be construed as an immediate threat. Not that we should be 'playing' the role of an LEO, but you are witnessing a felony in progress and a citizen can effect an arrest for that. Additionally if the perp gets his money who says he isn't going to pop off few rounds on the way out in an effort to eliminate witnesses?
My first thought as I was watching the video was; "Is the guy in orange an accomplice?" It has brought up here before about watching your back in such a situation.

Not legal advice; Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

#12 ·
Seeing a hooded and masked man enter the store, gun or no gun, should have been enough to automatically send the clerk into high alert. When a wolf shows up baring his fangs, you better notice and recognize him fast or you're going to get eaten. If you're not going to fight back then get yourself out of harm's way ASAP.

From my point of view as customer:
* BG has his back to me. I'm being intentionally ignored.
* An innocent man's life is in immediate danger.
* If the clerk gets shot, I might be next for being a known witness.
* I don't know if there may be an accomplish lurking around waiting to jump in if the BG needs help.
* I have a clear head-shot opportunity at close range.

If I were to draw and shout for the BG to drop his gun, how do I know he isn't going to spin around and peel off a shot before I can stop him? I could try to grab his arms and fight for control of his weapon, but how do I know that I'm going to win that fight? Clearly from this video you can't count on bystanders coming to your aid.

I would draw and shoot the BG in the head, make sure that the threat is stopped, scan around for other threats, and tell the clerk to call 911 while I continue scanning for threats until the cops arrive.

#13 ·
A couple of observations.

Do you think the clerk had a gun, but had little if any training?

You fight like you train. In a crisis, you brain will naturally default to how it's been trained to react. If there is no training embedded for the brain to act on, it will usually default to just freezing or panic.

As mentioned by the original poster, what if YOU were the customer in the white hat?

I would have to have been there at that moment to realistically decide what I would have done.

However, quite possibly, I would have pulled out my gun and shot him at the base of the dome causing instantaneous neurological shut down. Kind of like how Tony Soprano got it in the final episode. Just turn off his light switch so he couldn't pull the trigger on the store clerk.

Hind sight is usually 20/20 and by watching the surveillance video, the robber totally ignored the customers. He just ignored the fact that he pulled out a wad of cash to pay for his slurpee and then put the rest back in his pocket.

Also, later, the robber completely turned his back on the two customers, paying no attention to them what so ever. More than once! (All that happened way before the clerk even went for his gun).

Now realistically, being there in person, during the "heat of the moment", a person who is a ccw holder may or may not actually pick up on that. But, if an opportunity were to present itself in that way, I may opt to shoot the bad guy from behind, without warning or saying a word.

Again, you have to play it as you see it unfold in real time to really know what you will do.

My main goal is to come home alive to continue fulfilling my family obligations and not to play police officer. I'm extremely reluctant to involve my gun with 3rd party incidents. However, in this case, I very well may have shot the robber in the head. I probably would... You just don't get many opportunities any clearer than that in real life. I just can't say for sure.

#14 ·
I would have at least stepped out and dialed 911...
+1 here..

I see a lot of weird things in this one.

1. Why is everyone so calm...and that nut starts paying
for his stuff..oh well just an armed man next to me? :rolleyes:

2. When the clerk pulled out his .357...why did he point it so,
close the BG had a chance to grab it?

3. I can't see why BG's want to hit these stores..it's always a
low dollar amount. He could go out and mow about 2 lawns and
get that same cash legally

Rant mode off :embarassed:

#18 ·
How insane was that whole thing?????

I'm very confused :confused:
Believe it or not... this is how things play out in real life.

People are numb to things these days. A lot of people live their lives in fantasy land and have no cognitive recognition of what's going on right next to them. (sure they saw the gun... they knew it was a robbery... but their little sheeple brains just could make the connection to what was really happening or the full gravity of the situation)

The clerk with his gun... YES, he had a gun, but had no idea the proper way to deploy and use that gun.

I would venture to say there are a fair number of CCW permit holders carrying guns daily with no more common sense or experience than what the store clerk displayed.

Real life folks... It ain't pretty and it doesn't make sense!

Stay Safe! And don't be :sheep:

#17 ·
A ton of strange things in this video. If I was the guy in the white cap I would hope I would have remembered to look around make sure there isn't another BG looking dude ready to pull a gun on me when I pull mine out. If I felt they were just customers I would have pulled my gun and given him one to the head. It looks like the white cap guy could have pulled a gun, loaded a mag, racked one round and fired before the BG even knew he had moved. The hood the BG has on really kills his peripheral vision...of course these guys usually aren't the brightest anyway.

Just watched it again...notice the guy in orange actually moves closer to the guy with the gun once the incident becomes know to all. Why would anyone with half a brain do that?

#19 · (Edited)
I can't carry a gun in California, so if this happened where I lived, I'd have my knives with me. One of them being a 6" folding knife--13" extended (no such thing as a folding knife larger than 6"). Towards the beginning of the encounter, there is a rather long period of time where the BG is extending his gun hand as far as he can. This might sound a little far fetched to some, but I honestly might have chopped his gun hand clean off and proceed from there. What's he going to do then?

However, I would had to be in the situation to really answer this question. I could almost immediately tell if this person was simply there to rob the place and had no intentions of violence or if he had intentions of violence. Also, I would have had to have a good feel for the other customers in the store, what they were about, and if they would have been of any help. Too many factors, which is why I don't really care for these threads, but I felt compelled to give a little of my insight and thoughts on this one.

I would have only chopped his gun hand at that time if I felt a violent action soon coming to the clerk, to myself, or others in the store. If I could see back in time (watching this video), I wouldn't have done so at that point.

Now as he was getting aggressive, I might have quickly disarmed the gun hand with the knife and pumped his neck full of cold steel. Again, I'm not sure what I would have done. Way too many factors...way too many.

All I know is that I'm protecting myself and my family first, no matter what, and if I have a good chance at protecting a fellow citizen I will do so. I sure as heck wouldn't want to mess with me if I saw myself wielding a knife. BG with a gun or no gun, if I'm within a certain distance and I want you eliminated badly enough, you will be.

And again I say, I can't say for sure what I would have done without having been there. I'm not a very fun person to ask hypothetical questions to.

#20 ·
I could almost immediately tell if this person was simply there to rob the place and had no intentions of violence or if he had intentions of violence.
ESP or by what means?

Anyway the guy in the ball cap had the time and advantage when the BG was not paying attention and with the hood up had no way to see him come from behind or the side. I guess they all believe the threat will go away if ignored.

#21 ·
WOW!!!!!!! Boy you see who you can count on. Not those customers. Have they ever heard of helping people out. WOW

Those two looks like all they needed was popcorn and a big screen tv so if they missed something they could rewind there DVR. WOW

People are something else. That clerk is someone's SON. Would they have stood there if that was there son. Those two definately get the "best bystanders of the year award".

If i'm the guy in the white hat I get involved early and finish the situation quick.

#22 ·
At minimum I would crack the BG in the back of the head with any hard item at hand, If I am going to be ignored then its his mistake. I also find it hard to believe the clerk was stuggling with a gun he pulled. Its point "click" or leave conceled. I am a strong beliver in choice, If I am in danger enough to point a gun I am in danger enough to shot. Otherwise I may be struggling to get my gun back.
But to the original question, I would not do nothing.

#26 ·
Man in white hat could have taken a step back, gotten out of the bad guy's vision because of the hood and done anything. Personally I would have drawn and ended the threat to the clerk and myself. Plenty of time to take a good aim and be sure the shots were going to go someplace harmless when they exited the bad guy.

#27 ·
Amazing, neither of two guys even bothered calling 911, at the very LEAST.

Most likely if I had been there, it would been a angle step back (since the BG was so focused on the clerk), away from the BG but at an angle, then slow draw, aim (since there seems to be time to do so here), and try for a ear or right behind/below the ear shot.

If I had been at the back of the store, I'm not honestly not sure. More than likely in that case, I would just try to be a good witness and stay hidden. But in the first case, the BG came very close to me - immediate threat, he's gone. Sorry buddy.

#29 ·
Playing back seat driver.

White cap: See gun, back the hell off

Orange cust has crap in one hand, but other is in coat pocket and seems to mostly back up with white cap guy - may be accomplice (get that from reading here on other thread, thanks guys) keeping white cap in view.

Armed, if I can discretely draw while keeping orange guy in view, bad guy dead with no warning and orange guy is immediately ordered to the floor at gunpoint - I'll apologize later. Question: how to address his hand in jacket pocket?

Unarmed, I'm making for the door or back of store. Can't trust knocking the guy out with a can or coffee - might get clerk shot or wind up in struggle, unaided, with armed BG.

Further in:

The idiot had a counter btwn him and the BG and practically gave him another gun. Once the two twits are fighting over the gun I'm outta there as long as orange doesn't stop me. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum are concentrating on not having a gun pointed at them which means it may very well be pointed at me - that is all on the clerk. There is no cover in that store - the other two twits are now standing upright behind shelves filled with chips.

#31 ·
If others are in the store, it's a tough call. It's already been mentioned that you have no idea if any of the other "customers" are actually accomplices. I'd probably try to step out and call 911 in that case.

I like how at the end of the video the cashier says they only had $40 in the register and wonders why anyone would want to risk their life for that amount yet I guess he doesn't realize he risked his as well.

#32 · (Edited)
Correct me if I am wrong, which I am sure you guys will.... Isn't any time a gun is pointed at you considered a deadly threat. Is it not our right as citizens to protect our selves and those around us from a deadly threat.
Yes I know it is easy to play armchair quarterback, but the guy in orange has a cup of coffee in his hand. He is no threat. If I am the guy in the white cap and I am armed I am backing up a little and putting round in the back of the BG's head. Then making sure the guy in orange is still not a threat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.