Surprised at work! What would you do? - Page 2

Surprised at work! What would you do?

This is a discussion on Surprised at work! What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never cared about any company policy when it comes to defending myself. If the SHTF, I'll worry about the Company Policy once the smoke ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've never cared about any company policy when it comes to defending myself. If the SHTF, I'll worry about the Company Policy once the smoke clears.Better alive and a company policy violator than dead and violated.

If unarmed, and "if" I had the chance... I'ld run him over with the truck. Otherwise, there are no options... other than ducking and hoping for the best.

I've seen the substation where this occurred. There isn't much cover. This was within an hour of some significant power outages due to an ice storm several weeks ago. Thousands were out of power, some for weeks. Maybe the shooter had an issue with how long it took his power to get reapplied.

What would I have done?

Returned fire. Or initiated it, if I saw an attack was imminent. Use the truck for cover if I saw the attack soon enough.

Then called the police, an ambulance, and my lawyer.

Dust off my resume.

And celebrate the fact that I was alive, every day for the rest of my life.

To me this does bring up a good question. In this day and age when you are seeing more and more nut jobs and random killings, should you ignore company policies that tell you it's against company policy to conceal carry and risk the possibility that you might get made and lose your job? If I felt that there was a very remote possibility of something ever happening I might decide that it's not worth the risk, but it seems like things like this are happening more and more frequently and the odds of eventually finding yourself in a life and death situation don't seem so remote to me anymore. I would like to know what everyone thinks about that.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

Quote Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
    I would like to know what everyone thinks about that.
    Each person counts the cost and makes their own decision.

This happened in my town. Needless to say, pretty shocking. Last report was that the workers were going to be ok. Word on the street is that no relation to the workers and not a power outage issue. The guy is from a town about 30 minutes north of us and the news reported had a CCW license. Dude just lost it. Last I heard the FBI was investigating, think it had something to do with the power company and this being an act of terrorism. Very sad and likely just one of those wrong place, wrong time deals. Keep those folks in your prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by bps3040 View Post
    In this case, all you could do is stay out of the line of fire. Not many options. On a side note:

My ex brother-in-law works for the electrical company. In the late 80's he was going to turn off power at a house and homeowner came running out , drunk as hell, and unloaded a .38 at him. The company would not let him press charges!! They said it would lead to copycat offenders.
    What? Thats just stupid!
    If anything pressing charges might make the next idiot think before he grabbed his gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
    To me this does bring up a good question. In this day and age when you are seeing more and more nut jobs and random killings, should you ignore company policies that tell you it's against company policy to conceal carry and risk the possibility that you might get made and lose your job? If I felt that there was a very remote possibility of something ever happening I might decide that it's not worth the risk, but it seems like things like this are happening more and more frequently and the odds of eventually finding yourself in a life and death situation don't seem so remote to me anymore. I would like to know what everyone thinks about that.
    At my last requal our instructor (VERY experienced LEO instructor) addressed this very issue. He simply told us that we would have to decide for ourselves if we would rather be dead or fired for disobeying company policy.

Like they say,
    "Better judged by 12 than carried by 6"

sue the hell out of the company that has the no weapons policy. One lawsuit at a time we can change the liability atmosphere to ENCOURAGE CCW by employees.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Each person counts the cost and makes their own decision.
    Personally, I could care less about company poilcy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links