Stupid - Early AM Scare

This is a discussion on Stupid - Early AM Scare within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I considered not posting this because I handled it so poorly, maybe I can make some good out of it... Around 5 this morning I ...

Thread: Stupid - Early AM Scare

Stupid - Early AM Scare

I considered not posting this because I handled it so poorly, maybe I can make some good out of it...

Around 5 this morning I wake up thirsty. I make my way to the kitchen without turning on any lights. As I am moving into the kitchen I catch a shadow on the wall of someone in my house (flicker of a shadow really as I said it was dark but there was a bright moon out). I freeze. At that moment I see there is someone in my house, tall, thin. I shout "HEY!" my son says "Dad you scared the crap out of me"...

I might as well have yelled "Hey BG Shoot Here"!

I honestly never considered someone getting into my house without my knowledge. I sleep pretty lightly so I always thought the act of breaking in would wake me. At the very least I thought it would alert my dog.

Lets say the same thing happened only it was a BG, what would you have done?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Does your son live with you? If not, does he have a key? If he has a key, he wasn't breaking in -- you just didn't hear him. In any case, this scenario should help you plan how to deal with a situation where you do hear someone breaking in, or where you realize that someone is already in the house.

If your son doesn't live with you but visits, then I would suggest a safe word or phrase so that you'll know it's him in the future. If you do wake up often in the middle of the night, make sure you're more aware before moving through the house.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Consider a good alarm system with perimeter zone that can be separately armed; get multiple 4wd alarms (dogs). Ditto on the "password" and getting the entire household onto the same page with respect to the defensive posture of the house. ie, arming the perimeter zone will mean nobody enters/exits after the arming. Practice the defensive strategy and procedures with everyone in the household.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

+1 on the safe word.....or even turning on a light, either of you, while going about your midnight business. If the dog isn't 'alerted' to any 'danger' then a stern "hey" was all that was required.
    Sounds like you had no expectations of any family member being up and moving around at five in the morning. It happens.

In my case/situation, we leave a small light on and our dogs will alert on any non-family rather quickly.

Do you/can you trust your dog(s) to let you know of intruders?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    Lets say the same thing happened only it was a BG, what would you have done?
    Well the realistic answer of course, is to buy new drawers

Actually if that were to happened as described it'll likely be a sudden panic reaction from the encounter. Hopefully the BG will realize he's discovered, maybe armed homeowner and make a quick exit to get out of your house. If the BG moves in the direction of your sleeping family, then the wrasslin' match is on and you have a good chance of getting stuck in the process.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    Silly as it sounds, I have the P-3at on the headboard of my bed, we live in the country, and when ever I get out of bed and leave the bedroom I take the 380 with me, yes to let the dog out, yes to visit this sight when I can not sleep at night, yes to get a drink.

Once in a while I hear strange noises and I wish the 380 was a high capacity 45 when I go take a looksy

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

We have a small flourescent light over the kitchen sink that we leave on at night. It's small and doesn't use much electricity, but puts out considerable light. Enough to illuminate into the living room and the dining room and to be able to see if someone is there. It also illuminates enough down the hallway that, at night when everyone's "asleep", you could see someone's shadow coming down the hallway towards our bedroom. It doesn't interfere with sleep. We use it as sort of a security nightlight. Also, having that light on makes our bedroom the darkest place in our house. I like the idea that if (God forbid) some BG were to get in, past alarm and other measures. He has no idea what awaits him in "the dark". Plus having that light on keeps me from breaking my neck when I have to get up to go to bathroom at night.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

VIP Member
    You might also want to consider a light with built in motion sensor. The light being on will alert you to someone being present.
    It will also save you the pain of your shin bones and toes from being the thing that goes "bump" in the night.

Thanks guys for the input.

1. My son lives here.
    2. Unless my dog died in the night there is very little chance anyone getting in without him and in turn me knowing.
    3. I have never felt like I needed an alarm because I have always had large and loud dogs.
    4. New drawers LOL.
    5. I think a nightlight in the kitchen would do the trick. I can't go with anything to bright or the light will shine into my bedroom (Ranch house).
    6. I will look into motion sensor lights.

If you scared your kid ya might wanta check into sleepwear,Also It coulda been worse if you were armed and had your kid in your sights as you challenged him.You are not the first homeowner to see somebody in dim light but the others assumed it was a family member only to realise pretty quick it was a burglar instead,they make really low level bright nitelites that have like a luminescent pad instead of a bulb
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I purchased the green luminescent nite lite pads and put them in every room of the house. They create enough light that you can clearly see if somone is there who shouldn't be. They also keep me from falling over the furniture when I have to get up in the middle of the night.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

Links