Caught off guard

This is a discussion on Caught off guard within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I am ever asked by anyone, other than a police officer during a traffic stop, my anwser is always the same. "it's secured elsewhere" ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caught off guard

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If I am ever asked by anyone, other than a police officer during a traffic stop, my anwser is always the same.
    "it's secured elsewhere"
    That's all anyone needs to know
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

He may not know about cwp and how people feal about them. there was another thread about it by a person who saw a coworker with a gun and teased him about it. now he is a cwp holder and understands why the guy got upset. he also said that he just did not know about how to act around them until he got his own. this guy may be the same way or from the particular wording it sounds like he may be anti gun based on the fact that he thinks that all cwp holders carry all the time.

I have to decided to look at this as an educational experience and a free one at that since no harm was done. My firearm is not the only thing I have to take precautions to conceal.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

Another thought that I just had. I love to take opportunities to educate my anti-gun friends on the 2A and all the misinformation about CC, but how do you do that without broadcasting the fact that you are carrying.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

Without taking the thread too far astray, I have a suggestion on the "wear to keep the permit" issue.
    I got a cheap walmart ID holder, about $3. The only thing in it is my permit and my drivers license. My rationale is that if I were to get into a bad situation (mugging, robbery, etc) I'd be willing to give up my *wallet* with cash, credit cards, etc. However, I don't want the bad guy getting my drivers license (with address) or finding my carry permit (the next "find" would be the sidearm). So if I've done a bad job and end up in a no-win situation, they get the goodies - the wallet, but not the real important stuff. In addition, the permit doesn't get accidentally flashed when looking for credit cards, and if stopped by LE, the drivers license and permit go hand in hand. YMMV

-jb

Quote Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
    He happened to notice my CCW license (Indiana's happen to be pink and easy to spot).
    Pink huh? Why pink? Maybe you should write your congressman or woman and requesta nice shade of blue, or perhaps gender specific at least.

Actually this got me to thinking, our CCW permits are supposed to be of "like size and design" as our drivers license, yet they are green, not white like the DL. If they were the same color as the DL they would also draw less attention. Of course you might freak out the cashier at the 7-11 when you accidentally use your CCW to buy your beer. (not that I would ever drink while carrying, leave the beer closed till the guns locked up!)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Without taking the thread too far astray, I have a suggestion on the "wear to keep the permit" issue.
    I got a cheap walmart ID holder, about $3. The only thing in it is my permit and my drivers license. My rationale is that if I were to get into a bad situation (mugging, robbery, etc) I'd be willing to give up my *wallet* with cash, credit cards, etc. However, I don't want the bad guy getting my drivers license (with address) or finding my carry permit (the next "find" would be the sidearm). So if I've done a bad job and end up in a no-win situation, they get the goodies - the wallet, but not the real important stuff. In addition, the permit doesn't get accidentally flashed when looking for credit cards, and if stopped by LE, the drivers license and permit go hand in hand. YMMV

-jb
    +1 good idea.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

yeah, I've seen this happen a few times on here. Like others have said, I keep mine behind my drivers license to prevent this from happening.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

VIP Member
    Utah's current DL is pink, (I liked the blue one better), the CFP is red, I think it's a little flashy. I'd like a nice neutral color, less noticable. I carry mine behind my DL backwards, can't see the front, even if I remove my DL.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

A few months ago I was at a gas station buying some stuff inside, and I noticed an NRA sticker by the window of the checkout. I made some small talk "You in the NRA?" "Yeah" "Oh...you have a CCW?" "Yeah, I shouldn't show you but...aww hell" then he pulls out a S&W out of his sweatpants pocket. He was proud of that gun, too. It was a bit too much info.

Opportunity

I'd for sure have a conversation with him about your desire to keep your CCW private, but use the time to see if he's interested. Might be a good teaching opportunity or a chance to win another one over to our side.

I don't think he should have asked. I would not have
    told him anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links