Caught off guard

Caught off guard

This is a discussion on Caught off guard within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ran into a situation back a few weeks ago when a co-worker and I went to lunch together. As we were leaving I thought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught off guard

Caught off guard

I ran into a situation back a few weeks ago when a co-worker and I went to lunch together. As we were leaving I thought I would be a nice guy and proceeded to pay for his lunch before he had a chance to. As we walked up to the cashier I opened my wallet and I guess I wasn't paying attention to the fact that he was looking over my shoulder. He happened to notice my CCW license (Indiana's happen to be pink and easy to spot). He commented, "oh, you have one of those huh...where's your gun? " The question really caught me off guard. I just kinda shrugged it off without really answering him. I said something along the lines of, "just because I have a license doesn't necessarilly mean I'm carrying does it?" He just gave me that look like, "yeah sure, whatever you say". First of all, I quess I felt like it was really bad manners to make a comment like that. I also felt like I didn't know this person well enough to know what he would do with that kind of information, (i.e.: Hey, guess whose's packing heat, etc.) I guess in the future I will be more careful who is looking over my shoulder when I pull out my wallet. I have since moved my CCW license to the inside compartment of my wallet. I am making too big a deal over this or should I have told him he needs to mind his own business.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

You've been made. Just make sure you tell him that you like to keep some things to yourself and he should respect that.

VIP Member
    You should have told him, "At home in the safe". My carry permits are carried in a ID holder that comes with a lot of wallets. I have 2, one holds my drivers license and Military ID. The other holds my permits. No one is going to see them unless I pull the holder out.

Mine has since moved to the inside slot so that no one can see it unless I pull it out.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

keep mine out of sight of prying eyes, people are very nosy. It was very rude for him to comment, for one it says hey I'm looking in your wallet. I would have made him pay his own way after that.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

No good deed goes unpunished
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

Quote Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
    I have since moved my CCW license to the inside compartment of my wallet.
    Good lesson. Some guys have paid a bigger price because they allowed their license to be seen.

I am making too big a deal over this
    No, you're not making too big a deal over this, especially since he's a coworker. You never know who he will tell.

Maybe he was a jerk, maybe he was just making conversation, or maybe he was truly interested.

should I have told him he needs to mind his own business.
    I think you did well to downplay it. Had you responded harshly, it might have given credence to his belief you were carrying.

To be safe, you might want to anticipate managerial attention at work next week if this guy has a big mouth.

VIP Member
    I was in VA a few weeks back and out on a country road. A Cop was stopping traffic looking for ID. I had My Drivers license and Permit in a holder back to back. I pulled it out and the permit was showing and I flipped it over to take out the DL. The Cop said what was that and I said that was a pistol permit for CT and He said fine You still got snow up there. He was fine and We had a nice chat. I looked in my mirror and there was a line of cars behind Me. I said I better let You get back to it. Told Him be safe and I was on My way. I moved the permit.

As we walked up to the cashier I opened my wallet and I guess I wasn't paying attention to the fact that he was looking over my shoulder. He happened to notice my CCW license ...
    In my wallet, there's a little "window" pocket that holds a couple of cards. The outward facing one is my driver's license; the next is my OR CHL, facing away; and the third is my UT CHL, facing forward. That way, even if someone looks, even if I were to be pulling out the driver's license or even the whole wad of them, a person would only see the blank/back of the CHL's. Works very well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I keep mine behind a debit card,it looks like another credit card in the pocket
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the heads up from Grady about managerial attention. I already anticipated that and am being careful for a few weeks.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

Administrator
    "Where is your gun?" is not a smart question for somebody to ask you when you are standing in front of a cashier.

You're lucky that the cashier didn't hit a silent alarm on you and your friend.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "Where is your gun?" is not a smart question for somebody to ask you when you are standing in front of a cashier.

You're lucky that the cashier didn't hit a silent alarm on you and your friend.
    AGREED, plus whenever I had a private moment with this guy I'd explained that to him clearly.

He's pretty nosy huh?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Military ID

I have my retired military id on top, then driver's license, then the CPL. You would not believed the confused looks I get on the military id. I like it there as it was a lot harder to get then the driver's license.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    I have my retired military id on top, then driver's license, then the CPL. You would not believed the confused looks I get on the military id. I like it there as it was a lot harder to get then the driver's license.
    Get away from a military town and a lot of people have no idea what it is. I've had mine refused as ID before. Was told I had to have a valid ID, that the retired military ID was not valid. Of course even on a base it can get stupid. I still carry my original retired ID card issued in 94, laminated paper ID with photo on it. I had a clerk at the Ft. Lee commissary tell I needed to get a new ID card because mine would not scan in their computer cash register system.
    Last edited by archer51; March 9th, 2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links