Situation over the past weekend (was I wrong?) - Page 6

Situation over the past weekend (was I wrong?)

This is a discussion on Situation over the past weekend (was I wrong?) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by snip atleast in SC you can make a citizens arrest for a felony and steeling a car/motorcycle is a felony. so all ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Situation over the past weekend (was I wrong?)

Quote Originally Posted by snip View Post
    atleast in SC you can make a citizens arrest for a felony and steeling a car/motorcycle is a felony. so all you did was make a citizens arrest.
    Yup... you're good to go I think.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

novcdtshotz

Your last post put chills down my spine & arms. Keep us posted. I know that in NC we cannot "legally" make a citizens arrest, but still sounds like you weren't arresting him in Va either.

novcdtshotz... WHEWWWW!!!

Glad you came off OK. In both situations. You just experienced one of my biggest fears of carrying....which is the after part of not being a victim.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novcdtshotz View Post
    Alright; got a another call last night from the Detective that wanted to see me.
    The Detective called me to let me know that I have nothing to worry about; no charges are being brought or considered against me.

The detective thinks that everything should work out in a couple of weeks / months, but that in the meantime I should keep my head down, and think about renting a car vs. riding my extremely distinct motorcycle (again on the indentification part).
    That's great news, except for the last part.

You might want to consider renting the movie Eraser, just in case.

Just kidding, I thought a little levity would help at this point.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Great news, I'm amazed even in today's world sometimes common sense prevails. Take a long ride and restock your supply of antacid.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

If it were me I would still go in with my lawyer to make sure you don't say or sign the wrong thing. BTW welcome to the forum a lot of good people on here. Hope it works out for the best.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Glad to hear everything turned out well. As a fellow rider, and sore thumb with my bike, sounds like you should avoid riding for a while man. Good Luck and be safe.

My understanding is that the police can lie to get statements. I figure your OK from the sounds of things but I would speak to my lawyer to get there take.

Whew, that's a relief! Congrats, and I'm glad to see that common sense still prevails sometimes. I'm also in the Northern VA area, and it's good to know that the criminals aren't always coddled by the system.

Now go have a beer -- you've earned it!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novcdtshotz View Post
    The Detective called me to let me know that I have nothing to worry about; no charges are being brought or considered against me.... The det. and police officer assured me that I was in the right during the encounter, and they've said that they can't think of anything I could have done differently to better preserve my safety, and the safety of the BG. He said it's completely understandable for me to be thinking the way I was about being charged.... I actually brought up some of the points here over the phone with the detective. He said that brandishing and kidnapping COULD be justifiably charged here, but that any jury would throw it out (even without exposing the guys record)
    You dodged a bullet. Being a criminal defendent in a jury trial is even though you maintain the distinct advantage of being "right". Never been there but I can imagine that it's scary, distressing, costly.... It could easily drive to a plea bargain. I keep the local precinct number on my cell phone contact list. Thanks for sharing your story for my own edification (this is my favorite forum on this great DC.com site).
    Now, more than ever, if I see someone committing a property crime, I'm calling and watching from a safe distance until threatened.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I'm glad they never intended to charge you with anything! I kind of had a feeling it was just going to be a "follow-up" for the detectives after the uniformed officers filed their stuff.

Regards to the crime ring this knucklehead was involved with...

Stay armed, no doubt!

Boost your awareness level up a notch. When out and about, especially if on your bike, I would be borderline condition orange for the foreseeable future. Learn some basic "counter surveillance" techniques.

In other words, spend a few extra moments to observe for things out of the ordinary when you leave your house, before approaching your mode of transportation and upon exiting your bike or vehicle, and again when you return home.

Avoid being in condition white even when at home for a while and check in from time to time with the detectives to see if they have any new "intel" to offer you, or at least any warnings.

I also hope you'll remain an active member here at the forum. You'll find we're just one big happy family and there is a lot of great topics and info that comes across these pages.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm thinking in the future rig your bike seat with a hidden bear trap,anybody hops on and tries to hotwire your bike bear trap snaps shut
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    ...As far as "no telling if a holstered gun is loaded or even a real gun." I think this would not hold up in court. Any gun is automatically assumed to...
    +1

At least in MI (and I think most jurisdictions have the same understanding), I have been told, even a toy gun, if you present it as a real firearm (and sometimes just having it, naturally under the right circumstances) can lead to a brandishing charge.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Great News! I'd still advise to keep the lawer with you however as a CYOB measure.

The part about the gang affilation is pretty scary though. Relax but keep your head and wits about you as well. Stay Safe!

Your experience has been great 'case study' for all of us to learn from, although I'll bet you never wanted to be the 'case' studied.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

First, I hope your lawyer is still planning on going with you...don't say/sign anything until he/she reviews it, approves it. Call me paranoid, but there is nothing preventing the police from using deception to make a case. Please exercise caution.

Second....Holy Carp!! The guy you roll-up on is part of a theft ring?...and tied to "those" dirtbags? Very lucky my friend...

I would take the LEO up on the range time!...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links