Situation over the past weekend (was I wrong?)
This is a discussion on Situation over the past weekend (was I wrong?) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm glad it appears things are going to work out for you. As someone else said, stay alert . The individuals you are talking about ...
March 11th, 2009 08:28 AM
I'm glad it appears things are going to work out for you. As someone else said, stay alert. The individuals you are talking about have no regard for anything, including themselves. Although you may not have to go to court, remember, the arrest report is obtainable through the FOIA. If they want to find out bad enough they can.
March 11th, 2009 08:28 AM
March 11th, 2009 08:43 AM
Quick check in before I step out for the day.
- The guy that was on my bike wasn't a full-fledged member, he was a hang-around, an applicant, a drone. He apparently snitched without much effort on the part of the police. When they took the shop they took a few more hang-arounds, and a few members.
- The lawyer is still coming with me. A few hundred more dollars is easily worth it for that peace of mind (a JIC thing). I do not plan on saying anything without first looking over at him and getting the go ahead. Even then, I'm going to kick it back in to military-mode and stick to the "yes, sir" "no, sir" "I do not know, sir" route as best I can.
- As far as the potential fall out to me from this whole gang thing, I'm hoping that I'm in the clear. Of course, I assume and plan for the worst, but I'm hoping for the best. I didn't do anything to warrant a follow up from their end (the gang), I didn't hold-up / bust a member, and I did nothing to expose their little chop-shop operation. The way the Det. explained it to me is that they (as weird as it sounds) have a "code of ethics" or something like that. He's pretty sure that given my limited involvement, and my employment status, I should be OK. It's just not worth the heat to them to come after me.
- I'm a bit paranoid (obviously) at the moment. I've taken a different route to work each day this week, and am planning on hitting up one of the local Harley shops this weekend to see if I can't maneuver for a trade on a Buell or something. I changed my riding jacket, and helmet (they kind of stood out before).
- I don't need to hold out for too much longer; I'll be on contract here within a few months and back out of the country. In the meantime, I'm blending in / observing.
- I asked the det. what I could have / should have done differently. Should I have walked away? Should I have called the cops from the curb and just let the guy have the bike? Should I have taken more drastic action? Basically, he and I discussed every other scenario and couldn't come up with a better one. Yes, the danger would have been "averted" if I just kept walking and called the police from a distance, but that doesn't do anything for what happens after the fact. What if his next target was an Audi driven by a mom and her kids? The det. and the officer from the scene were both in agreement that they've never seen, nor did they ever expect to see, a situation like mine. They've been great; I know I've absorbed more than my fair share of thier time via phone, but they've really helped to put me at ease a little more.
- I'm not personally pressing charges against the guy that was on my bike; the PD is going to take care of that for me. I'm going to get as far away from this as fast as I can.
- 20/20 hindsight: If I did it again, I wouldn't change a thing about how I reacted. I took control of the situation, and put myself in the best possible (reasonable) stance to make sure everyone (BG included) went home alive that night.
- I'm on high-alert, as has been suggested ... I was there from the time the cops called me back..
I'll be out for a day or so; after my "follow-up" I'll report back in to put a wrap-up on this.
March 11th, 2009 08:45 AM
Definately keep your eyes open, I'd be in condition orange at a minimun for a good while.
Still take your attorney to the meeting on Thursday, just to have him make sure anything you sign is something he approves.
I agree with the OP that mentioned driving something else for a while and if it were me I'd hide the bike someplace other than at home just to be on the safe side.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.
March 11th, 2009 11:49 AM
Judging by your prior statements re: the BG after his arrest, and especially considering the above statement, I'd say that he would have more to worry about as far as any repercussions stemming from this incident that you would. That being said, I'd still be on max-alert.
Originally Posted by novcdtshotz
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson
"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson
March 11th, 2009 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by oldnonry
Bingo. When we chatted about the "ethics" thing he told me this gang pretty much runs the prisons here; and that for all intents and purposes, the BG is toast once word gets around. Granted, his language was a little more colorful, but I already "oopsied" once with the language workaround rule!
March 11th, 2009 06:33 PM
whole situation, just wow....lay low...
S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger
March 11th, 2009 07:55 PM
This thread is an outstanding learning tool, especially for those of us in VA. I've been following it with great interest. Thanks, novcdtshotz, for the original posts and updates. I appreciate your candor, opinions, and honesty. This situation has given me much pause, and ultimately helped me think about what I would, could, and should do in a similar situation.
I'm really, really happy that the law has worked in your favor. Sucks about the dirtbag's affiliation, though. Stay safe.
Pain is weakness leaving the body
March 11th, 2009 11:46 PM
You can tell a story, tell a joke, tell the weather, or tell the future, the ONE thing that you should NEVER ever tell is ON YOURSELF.
Originally Posted by archer51
March 12th, 2009 12:36 AM
March 12th, 2009 12:26 PM
Read your last two posts...
Wow just Wow. A little paranoia is a good thing, rental car, condition orange, and taking your legal counsel with you GREAT IDEA!!!
Sounds like you really have it togeather, keep it safe, and keep the updates comming!
Oh true story time (I know a bunch of them);
About 2 years ago a gun guy went to COBO hall in Detroit for the auto show.... Parked his highly customized Harley in the paid lot... When he came out it was gone!!! Witnesses said they saw the guy at the toll booth call someone as soon as he passed by, allowed a pair of guys in a older Camero in the PL WO stopping them, shortly later the car left minus one guy, this guy later left with the bike, the toll booth guy did not stop them even once, police did not even want to show up but wanted him to come downtown to file a report, and the police did not seem interested in what he had found out!!!
Never did hear if he got any satisfaction....
"The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
March 12th, 2009 02:30 PM
Thanks for the update...let us know how things progress. Very serious and important forum thread, and good info for all of us.
Also, for those who are wanting to do some homework:
"...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52
March 12th, 2009 02:42 PM
I am offended by this Thread, And feel it needs to be removed....I posted in another thread where one day it just was Removed. I wrote the Mods and said
“Was it bad language or was it a Troll as one poster said”. I was told a little of both. With the technology we all have at our disposal, Some poor child or “WoS” might stumble on this thread and be hurt in some way. I ask the Mods to Remove this thread in the interest of the OP…. By the way, Great story. And it scares me.
March 12th, 2009 07:59 PM
Man am I lost!!!!!
Originally Posted by rcsnpr
An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.
March 12th, 2009 08:03 PM
What am I missing here? Explain?
Originally Posted by rcsnpr
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
March 12th, 2009 08:10 PM
Doesn't sound like much has changed from the Detroit I knew in the late 60s & early 70s.
Originally Posted by Sheldon J
An armed populace are called citizens.
An unarmed populace are called subjects.
By tacman605 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
Last Post: July 17th, 2010, 03:41 PM
By Ddog0587 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
Last Post: July 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
By Scrvoy in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
Last Post: February 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
By GlockAddict in forum Member Meeting Place
Last Post: December 20th, 2007, 02:55 AM
By GlockAddict in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
Last Post: December 19th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Search tags for this page
can you carry a gun in cobo hall
cobo hall concealed carry
conceal carry cobo hall
concealed carry at cobo
concealed carry in cobo hall
situation in the past that was wrong
Click on a term to search for related topics.