Fake kidnapping?

Fake kidnapping?

This is a discussion on Fake kidnapping? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This doesn't have to be a long thread. I have always just wondered about this. A friend of mine got married, and I guess in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake kidnapping?

Fake kidnapping?

This doesn't have to be a long thread. I have always just wondered about this. A friend of mine got married, and I guess in this group of friends, they kidnap him and throw him in a lake for fun. Not something I would like done to me. What if for some reason unknown, I get kidnapped not knowing who or why and it was a joke. I pull my gun and start firing before they say anything, heaven forbid this ever happened to anyone, that would be absolutely devastating. The reason I thought about it was because of the post about the four unarmed men. Well, like someone stated, how in Heaven's Earth would you know they were unarmed if they didn't think you were by kidnapping you. Now, only close friends of mine know I carry. Just curious what argument one could make if something like this would ever happen. I reallllly hope it never does.
    I know what you're thinking, "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself...you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? - Dirty Harry

This is the problem with practical jokes - they can go very, very wrong.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Doesn't matter. Sorry your "friends" were so stupid... but kidnapping is certainly a forcible felony, and that is one area where even the police will tell you to fight back. Shoot.

And get new friends.

Quote Originally Posted by C Zeller View Post
    ... in this group of friends, they kidnap him and throw him in a lake for fun.
    Well, years ago I had some college roommates tell me in advance they had a surprise for me on my birthday. They asked if they could blindfold me ... essentially, to jokingly "kidnap" me and take me to an unknown destination. It might have dumped a bit of water on the mood, but they knew darned well I wouldn't take kindly to a seemingly actual abduction. Worked out fine.

So long as there's no mistaking the joking nature of it, it should be fine. Otherwise, the defenses immediately engage.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Kind of what I was thinking. Sorry for the dumb and newbie question. Thanks for your help. I hope I never get stuck in a situation like that.
    I know what you're thinking, "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself...you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? - Dirty Harry

VIP Member
    It comes down to one question. Have they put you in fear of your life or grave bodily damage? If you can answer yes to the question you are justified to use deadly force to prevent it from happening.

Administrator
    "Funny" & "Practical Joke" things that could be "got away with" years ago will go over like a Lead Balloon these days.

It's very easy to get killed over something really stupid and seemingly innocent in these modern "upside down" times.

If god forbid something like that should happen, you would be doing society a favor by taking the involved parties out of the gene pool. Hopefully before they have a chance to breed. If you want to see what could happen if too many of them reproduce watch the movie "Idiocracy".
    As far as a defense goes, you had no way of knowing it is a joke. You reasonably believed yourself to be the victim of a kidnapping attempt. Check your local laws of course but most states I am aware of you are justified in using deadly force to prevent that.
    The aftermath would of course suck, but you would not be the person that created the situation. I would then sue the survivors for mental anguish.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Screwing around like that can lead to serious injury. Horse play can get out of hand fast. It's sort of like hazing. There are always those who want to carry things too far and that is when someone gets mad or hurt.

The problem is, the people who do not carry weapons or take self defense seriously have absolutely no idea how bad these kind of stupid pranks can go.

You are going to have to use some common sense! I mean to say... what are your real chances of being involved in a kidnapping? What type of lifestyle do you lead? Do you hang out with people known for idiot pranks? If you do, you should be very careful. Also, be aware of situations where these "pranks" can likely occur. Are you going to a party with long lost fraternity brothers known to have done wild and crazy things in the past? A bachelor party, or a wedding event with old friends who were always "wild and crazy guys" back in the "good old days?"

Do you have an occupation known for kidnapping such as being a high end jeweler or something of that nature?

Do you live in an area which kidnappings are becoming prevalent like in one of the border states? Example: Phoenix, Az is now the 2nd highest kidnap city in the world. (mostly due to the illegal drug cartels, but that doesn't mean innocent citizens can't be victims)

The very bottom line is, "Are you legitimately in fear of your life, and believe it is REAL?" You have to do what you have to do based on what you are legally allowed to do.

If you are a victim of a prank kidnapping and you do end up in a situation which causes you to shoot someone it's going to get ugly real fast for everyone involved, including yourself.

You may end up being charged with a crime, such as "involuntary manslaughter". That doesn't mean you won't ultimately prevail. Just remember there is going to have to be an accounting for the actions you take. If you are able to convince those who sit in judgment or those making a decision whether to charge you, I would think you will be OK.

Remember that good Situational Awareness is what we use to avoid shooting conflicts. If you can recognize bizarre activities starting to develop around you and strange things starting to happen, hopefully you can prevent it playing out in the first place.

Observe and Follow The Rule of 3 Stupids

1) Avoid Stupid People
    2) Do Not Perform Stupid Acts
    3) Stay Out of Places of Stupidity
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "Funny" & "Practical Joke" things that could be "got away with" years ago will go over like a Lead Balloon these days.
    Tell me about it. Waaaaaaaayyy back when we threw a buddy of ours into a duck pond on his 19th birthday. He was kind of expecting it as he had previously participated in similar shenanigans. These days....I don't think it would be a good idea.

BTW, duck ponds tend to be shallow with only a few inches of water on top of several inches of, um, other substances.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Fox News just ran a story about this today. It covered a new type of teen prank where teens pretend to be kidnapping someone (a friend...in on the joke) to get a rise from those around. They usually tape the incident and then put it on the iNet.

Some of the tapes shown looked obviously stupid, but some...where a girl is being kidnapped...could end up pretty badly if an armed citizen were nearby.

Could end up being a 'deadly day' for a prank.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 ret Good point!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

MJK
    When governments make laws, they must consider the unintended consequences.
    OBXNED...have you read John Ross' book "Unintended Consequences?" If not give it a try...great read!

The GF was watching an episode of the Kardashians where the brother and a friend wore ski masks and had fake (looked real) guns and raided the family store. Very very stupid idea.

As far as the situation in this thread, sometimes it's good that at least a couple good buddies know you carry.
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links