So heres the situation,

This is a discussion on So heres the situation, within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets just say you are dropping your son, daughter, brother or sister off at school in the morning. They proceed in, and you see another ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So heres the situation,

So heres the situation,

Lets just say you are dropping your son, daughter, brother or sister off at school in the morning. They proceed in, and you see another parentyou know you strike up a conversation, then you hear gunshots from inside the school. What would you do?

2. Remove Ads

Go in , get my loved one, and see what I can do to help.

Call the cops and run into the building, staying alert and holstered until I can assess the situation. I don't think that I could just leave a bunch of defenseless children to die.

VIP Member
    Call 911 and stay on the phone while I go in, I can't sit idle while that happens.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    To many variables at this point to go in. Does the school have metal detectors, are you 100% sure that the noise is gunfire, how many ways to get into the school building?

Does you kid have a cell phone, and will they answer it. Being on the school ground, let alone in the building in a "gun free zone" with a CCW could get ugly.

So many things to go wrong. My first thought would be to get them out a window if they were on a floor that would allow for that.

Wait, I think I answered my own question, it's a gun free zone, so there could not possibly be a shooting.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

If there is an immediate lockdown of the school, you will be the one questioned...why do you have a gun on school property?

Call the police and wait in your car...entering the school as an armed stranger is not something I would suggest doing.

I work in a school...at the first sound of trouble, we immediately go into lockdown mode. You would not be permitted into any room, and they are all immediately locked. During practice runs, the cops have tried to talk their way into a classroom (posing as a student or parent), and anyone who opens the door...flunks the test...you will be questioned (or worse) as to why you do not have a visitor's pass yet you are in the hallway of the school...you won't talk your way much further into the building. When/If they discover that you have a weapon...you'll have some 'splainin' to do.

OMO
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 15th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Stay in your car, call 911, stay on the phone, and stay out of the building. Depending on the state your in, being in the parking lot with a weapon may be legal, entering the building isn't. When the police arrive they have a lot more things to worry about than a concerned parent with a gun. Don't complicate their job.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Stay in your car, call 911, stay on the phone, and stay out of the building. Depending on the state your in, being in the parking lot with a weapon may be legal, entering the building isn't. When the police arrive they have a lot more things to worry about than a concerned parent with a gun. Don't complicate their job.
    Be sure to leave room for the cops to hide behind something until the shooting stops. Remember VT?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Tuff call...the parent in you wants to rescue your kid(s)...so emotion is now taking over...a bad thing in my opinion which usually leads to mistakes, costly mistakes. The smart move would be to be a good witness.

Besides...what are you doing on school property armed???

Rick

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Tuff call...the parent in you wants to rescue your kid(s)...so emotion is now taking over...a bad thing in my opinion which usually leads to mistakes, costly mistakes. The smart move would be to be a good witness.

Besides...what are you doing on school property armed???

Rick
    It's not illegal in all states. Some allow you to be armed while dropping off/picking up at schools.

I'm getting my kid......don't think I could run back to my car, with or without a firearm and leave my kid in the building. At this point, getting caught on school property with a firearm would be real low on my list of things to worry about. I would also call 911 to let the LEOs know I'm in there and what I'm wearing to reduce the risk of me being shot.

If my kid was already with me......not sure what I would do......

VIP Member
    It would have taken just one armed person to stop that fools rampage at Virginia Tech! When seconds count cops are just minutes away! I would rather die or spend the rest of my life in prison than know that I just sat around and did nothing while my children (and others) were being slaughtered! I go in, consequences be damned! I would keep my weapon concealed for as long as possible and march to the sound of the gunfire. I guarantee I'd get to the BG before the first officer arrives!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

If one is a parent, I would bet you'd have a hard time finding a parent that wouldn't attempt to do something to safe guard their child(ren). First be sure that you heard actual gun fire, call 911 and stay on the line, and give dispatchers accurate description of yourself and be a good witness. If gun fire clearly persists and continues to be active, then I would look to get to my child. Then in the process if 1 shooter exists, engage him. If 2 shooters or more, are present I'm purely defensive and trying to get kids out. If this turns into a gun battle (chances are you don't have the ammo the shooter does) then only a few short minutes and I'm out of the building, holstered if possible and waiting for police to take over, which would be hard to do, child in hand or not. If police already present FOLLOW EACH COMMAND GIVEN. I'd worry about the gun on school property thing later... I couldn't live with knowing that I didn't at least try to stop especially if all it would have taken is one person to engage the shooter (maybe the rest of shooters flee).
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Call 911 and only enter the school if I can do some thing to stop what ever is going on. I would be sure to identify myself to the 911 operator so there would be no mix up later on. I would also keep my gun concealed until I had identified where the gun shots were coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It's not illegal in all states. Some allow you to be armed while dropping off/picking up at schools.
    mich. allows cpl holders to be armed while dropping off/picking up
    thier children or locked in car if you need to enter building/property
    but don't dare get out of your vehicle armed.
    as far as a gunman and school lockdown, tough call. ofcourse
    you're main concern would be the safety of the children but as
    posted before,you could very well make matters worse.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links