Weird situation .....

This is a discussion on Weird situation ..... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the fiancé and I were in the front yard doing some gardening. Our four dogs were in the backyard hanging out When we finished, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird situation .....

Weird situation .....

So the fiancé and I were in the front yard doing some gardening. Our four dogs were in the backyard hanging out When we finished, I went in the backyard to let them in the house. I couldn't see them anywhere. I finally heard some scratching and found all four dogs in the mudroom off our house in the backyard. I have thought of two possibilities of how they got in there. One, the door to the mudroom wasn't all the way closed, one of them pushed it open, they walked in and then one pushed it closed, or someone hopped our wall and put the dogs in there because they were barking or something. So, you're sitting, watching tv when you see someone hop your wall and start walking around your yard. What do you do, draw down and call 911, or stay in your house and call 911 or what? Thanks.
    Last edited by NickEMT; March 15th, 2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Typo
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

2. Remove Ads

Stay inside and call 911, you only open yourself up legally and for safety reasons if you leave the safety of your home.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Individual hopping wall would this be common for someone doing work in a related area?? cable/lawn care etc?? If you can see them do they appear to be suspious.. If so, make sure doors are looked, if you feel threatened call 911 and go into orange condition.
    DO NOT EXIT home to investigate.

I turn on the yard lights and let out the Rhodesian...then the track meet starts...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I turn on the yard lights and let out the Rhodesian...then the track meet starts...
    Potentially putting the dog in danger? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeDelivery View Post
    Potentially putting the dog in danger? Really?
    Yes. If "threatened" the dog(s) would be the 'last' line of defense before the BG can 'enter' the house. BG gets past the dogs and continues into the/my house, then his/thier intentions are made clear with no misconseptions.

Dialing 911 would be a 'no-brainer' and done instantly when a 'threat' is recognized.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    ... So, you're sitting, watching tv when you see someone hop your wall and start walking around your yard. What do you do, draw down and call 911, or stay in your house and call 911 or what? Thanks.
    I open the window and ask what he's doing. No reason to draw at this point. I'm going to assume we know our neighbors and have confirmed this isn't one. Maybe it's a neighbor's guest and a soccer ball has come into my yard. Maybe it's a tree/fence/whathaveyou repair guy who dropped something over the fence and wasn't smart enough to knock on my door and ask.

At this point my big dog isn't going to get let out because I'm not going to let some animal control hearing put my dog down for biting a dumb guy that had no ill intentions.

If the guy is "sneaking" around the yard, I may react differently. At this point there really isn't a reason to even call 911 as far as I am concerned.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    I open the window and ask what he's doing. No reason to draw at this point. I'm going to assume we know our neighbors and have confirmed this isn't one. Maybe it's a neighbor's guest and a soccer ball has come into my yard. Maybe it's a tree/fence/whathaveyou repair guy who dropped something over the fence and wasn't smart enough to knock on my door and ask.

At this point my big dog isn't going to get let out because I'm not going to let some animal control hearing put my dog down for biting a dumb guy that had no ill intentions.

If the guy is "sneaking" around the yard, I may react differently. At this point there really isn't a reason to even call 911 as far as I am concerned.
    Ditto...shooting first, asking questions later mentality just might not be very smart. Of course, jumping over someone's fence isn't smart...but then there are a lot of dumb things people do.

Of course...one's location (suburbs or rural) also could have an impact on decisions.

Rick

Assuming this guy does not look like a repairman...

I would quickly lock the 3 outside doors which can be done in under 10 seconds. I would get my wife and my son in the master bedroom walk in closet where the gun safe is and tell them to stay put with the door closed. I would then lock myself in the master bedroom and make sure the dogs were in the main area of the house. They bark like mad when someone comes in the house or comes close to the door. That would at least let me know if I need to come out of the bedroom to confront the intruder if he did decide to come in. The master bedroom also gives a 90% view of the backyard from a window that is impossible to climb into without a ladder. The police would be called if it appears he is up to no good...I have had the neighbor kids jump the fence to get a toy and jump right back over.

On a side note: Some of my neighbor kids play around after dark with flashlights and masks on. Scared the **** out of me one night as I was sitting on the toilet and saw a flash of light hit the window...looked out to see 2 masked figures with flashlights walking around the neighbors yard about 5 feet from my house. Luckily I heard giggling and say 2 more flashlights wielding kids in the street. Some kids just aren't too bright these days.

WV has Castle Doctrine Law now, so NickEMT, you might want to read up on your states statues. They are designed to help people protect themselves on their private property.

As for my dog, she is a 12 year old, 40 lb. mixed breed of carnivorous fury that is extremely protective of the wife and me. Heaven help the unaware intruder into her domain. As much as she likes meat, she would probably eat most of the intruder before I could draw down on them or call 911.

My neighbors are fully aware of her, the kids next door know how she is, and respect the sanctity of the yard. The other neighbor bribes her with treats, but he's a gun enthusiast CCW and open carry guy who I get along with extremely well so he's definitely no threat. As for the rest of the world, beware.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    So, you're sitting, watching tv when you see someone hop your wall and start walking around your yard. What do you do, draw down and call 911, or stay in your house and call 911 or what?
    Where's the immediate threat to life?

I'd most certainly watch the person. I might well ask loudly what he's doing in a private, fenced yard. I'd also do this armed, being what today's thugs offer up. I don't think it's worthy of calling 911. It's certainly not worth drawing a firearm, at least until there's a clear threat. Now, if in response to being asked his purpose he then charges/challenges to the point of crashing through the door or pulling a weapon, then things change at that moment.

A.O.J. Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy. Justifiable defense against a lethal threat using lethal force (or threat of lethal force) depends on much more than sight of someone on this side of a fence.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    After re-reading the OP I'll change my response.
    If it is during the day. I would be armed and from the safety of inside the house I would ask what they are doing jumping the wall/fence, tell them they are trespassing and then order them off the property.
    If it is at night. Arm yourself (preferably with a shotgun), call 911 and report a prowler, then get your spouse to a safe location. Don't go out to confront them, wait on the police and let them do their job. If the person forcefully enters your house, then do what is needed to keep yourself and spouse safe.
    Last edited by archer51; March 16th, 2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added info

Stay in the house and call 911.

Why would I want to give up the cover and concealment that my abode offers to exspose myself?

Biker

Send out the shepherd

I send out the German Shepherd. Ditto...the track meet begins. If he's hopped my fence, he's up to no good, and he'll have to hurdle the five foot fence in order to avoid the fast, protective dog with big teeth. I call 911 and let them know there's an idiot impaled on my picket fence being gnawed on by the dog. Then we all laugh at the moron. No draw necessary. Now, if he tried breaking down the front door...

Quote Originally Posted by rteam2 View Post
    I call 911 and let them know there's an idiot impaled on my picket fence being gnawed on by the dog.
    I have a mental image of that stuck in my head.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links