do you show or pull - Page 6

do you show or pull

This is a discussion on do you show or pull within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are correct in the assessment that should only pull out your firearm if you intend to use it. Try everything you can to difuse ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    You are correct in the assessment that should only pull out your firearm if you intend to use it. Try everything you can to difuse the situation in a peaceful manner. Remember the District Attornies are "not" your friend and will do everything possible to convict you. Use "common sense" when you are in that type of situation.
    "When the people fear their Government there is Tyranny; When the Government fears its people there is Liberty"

keep it covered unless you are engaged, or feel that your life is threatened.
    Keep your powder dry

No one knows I carry unless the need should arise when I must draw my G26 from it's holster.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Ok, I'm going to jump on the wagon too. After reading all the advice given, and I might add, good advice. I would like to add one more read to the list. The name of the book is Verbal Judo by George Thompson. It is suggested reading for most new LEO's in the north Texas region.

IMO flashing your weapon seems a little 'gangish' to me. I work in an area with high gang activity and I see this threat quite often. Have I ever pulled my weapon for this, never had to. That's not to say that some day I might have to, but that hasn't been needed.

It was not uncommon for me, to use your scenario of the guy and the car, I would have met the guy head on and he would have had a personal encounter with the hood. (It's happened before) but as I matured, and yes I have matured, I realized that there were other ways to defuse a situation. And, after reading Verbal Judo, I did some things right but also did a lot wrong.

As has been stated earlier, we were all noobs at one time and probably had the same question rolling around in our head. Some of us asked the question while others just contemplated.

I know more than my .02 but hey, just feel like you got a bargain.

About 30 years ago I am dating the future wife. She lived in a small town and I would drive the 30 miles there to court her. Her sister asked me to get some 7up to go with her whiskey.

The gf and I go to a corner store like a 7-11. I give the gf 5 bucks and tell her to get a 6 pak so that I can drink one or two.

Outside the store is 5-6 guys. No big deal, as the wife grew up here and as stated it is a small town. She walks past the guys and go into the store. All but one guy goes into the store. The lone guy comes over and stands in front of my truck starring at me.

I watch the gf at the cooler and the group of guys are over by her. They did not get anything from the cooler. she goes to the pay counter and the group of guys are right behind her.I lean over to look in the store hoping the guy in front of the truck would turn around too. He did, and grabbed my 357 and shoved it into my pants.

I got out of the truck and went into the store, gave the gf the keys and told her to go to the truck and lock the doors.

I pay for the 7ups and as I leave the group follows me. When I get to the front of my truck the lone guy walks toward me. I turn and ask what`s up? He asks what the [Edited] do you want up [Edited]? I take a step back and ask whats up man? He says [Edited] What the [Edited] do yu think is up? The group is now trying to circle me. The one doing the talking is cussing and has his hands in his pocket and is walking towards me.

I ask what is going on? The voice says [Edited]. What do you think is up? I use my hand that is holding the bag of 7ups and open my jacket so that the voice can see my 357. I ask, what `s up man?

The voice throws his hands up, and says in a very loud voice nothing, I`m sorry man, I`m sorry man. the group turns and runs away. I get into the truck and leave. nervous as all hell. the gf asks, what was that all about?
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 10th, 2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Language workarounds.
    Keep your powder dry

I crossed the lines with my language, I apologise to the forum and its members.
    Keep your powder dry

I found it somewhat surprising when taking my CCW class in AZ that the first item covered was a letter from the director of the Department of Public Safety (State Police) stating that it is your responsibility to protect yourself, not the responsibility of the police. My brother is a cop and he echoed this sentiment, although he also said that they regularly do protect people, they are not obligated to do so if it puts themselves in jeopardy.

I understand the reasoning, and am not criticizing the officers or PD policies, it is just a great reminder that you need to be prepared to protect who is important to you and not expect someone to come in and rescue you.
    Be prepared

If I show it is only because I am pulling to use in defense of self or loved ones.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Brandishing can put you right behind the bars!

Excellent posts above...walk away and remain alert, but do not draw or show your weapon until absolutely necessary to defend against eminent deadly force/bodily harm. You have the obligation to retreat as a CCW carrier.

http://newsok.com/gun-association-se...rticle/3313439

Here's a link on a story of a guy in OK who pulled his gun. I think he was justified, he was afraid the person was going to run over him. You have to read the whole article most of it is about open carry

VIP Member
    I realize this thread has been pretty much beaten into the ground, but if the OP is sill viewing, then here is an excellent thread. Be sure to click and read the OP's link: "Commentary by Evan Marshall”.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ervention.html

Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links