do you show or pull

This is a discussion on do you show or pull within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im wondering whats right... say im driving down the road and get in a fender bender, the guy starts yelling cussing and walking to me, ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: do you show or pull

do you show or pull

Im wondering whats right... say im driving down the road and get in a fender bender, the guy starts yelling cussing and walking to me, or say im walking threw a parking lot and some punk starts to harrasse me.. do you or should you show that you are carring by lifting your shirt, or just pull it out and point... ive always been told never point a gun at anyone unless your going to use it.. That said showing you are carrying could defuse the situation.. sorry if this has been asked a million times before, just trying to learn the do's and dont's of carrying responsably

2. Remove Ads

Keep it concealed unless you have real good reason to believe your life's in danger. None of what you have stated rises to that level.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

In most states that would be brandishing and you would likely go to jail.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Call 911 and keep your gun concealed, but stay alert in case you need to react. In this situation, you don't seem to be in danger of losing your life or bodily harm.

Do anything possible to avoid this type of situations.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Now, if you had a CCW badge...you'd be covered :)) Just kidding...

Just curious...do they not cover any of this in training or materials?? Seriously, the reason I ask is it seems a lot of newbie questions being asked here recently...which I think is very very good...but wonder how many others out there have no clue that this site exists...and thus more than likely CCCW.

No one shoe fits all...but your scenario would lead me to back off...not "mine is bigger than yours" testosterone. The other issue would be numbers of BGs...bottomline, your actions could be viewed as an offensive move vice a defensive...and lead to bad outcomes.

Rick

In a fender bender...keep your weapon concealed, keep your mouth closed...wait for the cops to show up.
    Let the loudmouth rant on...stay in your vehicle.
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

unfortunatly here in georgia all you have to do is go down and apply and you get it... (if your qualified) Back home in texas your suppose to go through a class and i never had an intrest in carrying then... i cant find much in the way of materials around here, and i put in gun forums on yahoo and this one among others came up.... im trying to learn as much as i can and ive browsed through thousands of post, trying to learn... i know alot of my questons might sound stupid or or annoying, i go through it on my motorcycle forum all the time... so sorry for that, but i wanna do the right thing... i take this very seriously thanks yall

VIP Member
    There are no stupid questions. One of the (many) nice things about DC.com is that we all try to help each other and not "talk down" to the newbies. We were all newbies once.
    When in doubt, remember the "Search" function is your friend. Try there first, and if you don't find your answer, then post your questions.
    BTW great advise from the previous posters. If your life is not in danger, stayed concealed.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    The pulling your shirt up and exposing your gun is going to get you arrested for brandishing 99% of the time. As to pulling your weapon on someone when there is no threat to your life or of grave bodily harm will almost guarantee you an assault charge being filed against you.

A gun is never to be used as a means to end some word argument, just to defend yourself against an imminent, deadly threat.

VIP Member
    Not trying to come down on you, but it is obvious you are not prepared to be carrying yet. I would suggest you leave your gun at home until you have read and understand GA gun laws.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxersixxer View Post
    Im wondering whats right... say im driving down the road and get in a fender bender, the guy starts yelling cussing and walking to me, or say im walking threw a parking lot and some punk starts to harrasse me.. do you or should you show that you are carring by lifting your shirt, or just pull it out and point... ive always been told never point a gun at anyone unless your going to use it.. That said showing you are carrying could defuse the situation.. sorry if this has been asked a million times before, just trying to learn the do's and dont's of carrying responsably
    As my ex-girlfriend used to say, "Keep it in your pants."

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Keep it concealed unless you have real good reason to believe your life's in danger. None of what you have stated rises to that level.
    Personally, I'm very glad that you asked the question and are taking it seriously, it is a serious matter. Just take the responses in the same light.....

I agree wholeheartedly with the above poster , JAT40, ...... no reasons there to be showing or pulling any gun in any of those situations. Period.

Guns are not for getting you out of uncomfortable situations, confrontations with people (car crashes or otherwise), someone using abusive language, an argument, or being harrassed by anyone. You should be knowledgeable enough to either exit and/or handle those situations without a gun ..... none of which are life threatening in any way.

A short answer..... I have never, nor will I , pull a gun unless my next step is to shoot it and my life is definitely in immediate danger. I've talked a lot of people out of their guns or knives when they had them pointed at someone's head or at someone's throat and threatening to kill them.... and didn't pull my gun. Never over-react to a situation, keep your cool... be thinking of other strategies to talk, move or avoid those situations. If someone is angry, be calm... speak calmly.... but not submissive to them.

Some here can recommend some good books published out there on conceal carry, self-defense , and handling situations.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not trying to come down on you, but it is obvious you are not prepared to be carrying yet. I would suggest you leave your gun at home until you have read and understand GA gun laws.
    I 100% agree with you.. thats what im trying to do learn.... i say something pretty much along the same lines when asked " I wanna buy my first bike should i buy the 1000, or the hayabusa" Or "how do i wheelie" if you have to ask then your not ready in my eyes... so i guess i need to take some of my own advice and put it towards carrying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In a fender bender...keep your weapon concealed, keep your mouth closed...wait for the cops to show up.
    Let the loudmouth rant on...stay in your vehicle.
    OMO
    Not only that, but I would strongly recommend that when a LEO comes to greet you at your car you roll the window down, stay in the vehicle and then cross your arms over the top steering wheel so he can clearly see your hands.

Tell the officer that you are carrying and that you have a CCW license in the vehicle and on your possession.

The next step is the officer's instructions to you.

Do not exit the vehicle without being told to do so first.

Just stay cool and follow his direction.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links