Disasters and property defense?

This is a discussion on Disasters and property defense? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you had to evacuate for,let's say,a hurricane.You return 7 days later.You live in a smaller town,middle class tightly packed with homes neighborhood.When you pull ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disasters and property defense?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

If you had to evacuate for,let's say,a hurricane.You return 7 days later.You live in a smaller town,middle class tightly packed with homes neighborhood.When you pull up to your home,you see your garage door open,three guys loading your property into their truck.I know what most of us would like to do,but what is the smart thing to do?Different states have different laws.Your life is not in danger because you are on the street in your car.I do not ask many questions about defending my person,I know what to do if I am in danger.But how far do you go in a situation defending property in circumstances like this?Opinions?

call police - drive by, and watch from distance, then follow them....

If you confront them, they could be armed and it would create a bad situation for you... If you were to confront them, make sure police know and block them in - BUT I DO NOT ENCOURAGE THIS!!!!

It is looting, against Federal Law in a disaster area!

Hmmm. Wonder if the Castle Doctrine applies if they are armed?
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Fortunately for you, you live in Texas, not that I would recommend this:

PENAL CODE** CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:

(1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and

(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or

(B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.

(b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the deadly force was used:

(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;

(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or

(C) was committing or attempting to commit an offense described by Subsection (a)(2)(B);

(2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used; and

(3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.

(c) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the deadly force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the deadly force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the deadly force is used is not required to retreat before using deadly force as described by this section.

(d) For purposes of Subsection (a)(2), in determining whether an actor described by Subsection (c) reasonably believed that the use of deadly force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether the actor failed to retreat.

VIP Member
    In my case, since I live in Virginia and protection of property is not justification for the use of deadly force, I would call 911. Short of confronting them there is nothing else I can legally do.

I'm going to quickly pull up to their vehicle parked in my garage...it's not going to move out of the driveway. The wife is already on the phone to 911.

I will be trying to walk into my home and Mr. Kimber will point the way...these guys are already IN MY HOME...the garage is attached.

I hope that they just lay down as directed to do...if they should try to run at me or a weapon is visible things will get noisy, I will be forced to engage. I will not let someone, who is inside my home, have a second to think about what they want to do. I am willing to create a problem if it is problems they want.

I would not react this way out on the street, but my home is a different game...I will protect it with a vengeance.
    When I think about what brazen things thugs attempt to do to the elderly, to the weak, to the misinformed, to the general populaton...

The stuff they are taking is MY STUFF, in MY HOME...no one is leaving unless they go through me...I know that things may go badly, I understand that I may be held responsible for my actions...I accept that. I am 62 years old, fed up with the world's scumbag thieves...I refuse to be a victim...I will defend myself, my family, and my home.

There are many things I can walk away from out in my car, out in public, but when in my home, everything changes for me.

Stay armed...defense of one's home is important...stay safe!

Some day when I get to know you fellows better, I'll tell you how I really feel.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 23rd, 2009 at 01:52 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

assuming I have homeowners/renters insurance, I probably wouldn't risk my life/life of others for any of my belongings. However, I do own a couple of things given to me by my father that I probably couldn't stand to lose.

At that point you'd have to decide if your belongings are possibly worth losing your life over.
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

I would bet, simply driving up the driveway will set the BG's to running. if they are actually stupid enough to stay, I would engage them with a verbal warning (with my hand on my gun) then THEY have a choice to make. They can either run, obey my commands or they can die right then and there.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    as for me....they would be staring at a muzzle or two (the wife), and would be getting very harsh, stern, and perhaps profane instructions to see how comfortable my concrete floor is

retsupt I'm right there with ya
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

retsupt and 64 zebra have my reaction and feelings on the situation. It's bad enough for people to steel but to loot during a disaster is even more heinous to me.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Once again, Retsup's got it.
    Only, I'd drop my wife off a few houses down the street where she'd be safe and on the phone, then I'd block 'em in and go in to defend my home.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You know, maybe blowing your horn and yelling might scare them off. If done from a reasonable distance, should be pretty safe. Of course a little target practice at the same time may hurry them along. Or not.

Now if they were stealing something that could affect your survival during the disaster...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    retsupt and 64 zebra have my reaction and feelings on the situation. It's bad enough for people to steel but to loot during a disaster is even more heinous to me.
    +1 My home, my stuff! If you're in my home without an invitation you are fair game!

Retsupt +1 64 and fed up !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links