Carjacking Defense Options

This is a discussion on Carjacking Defense Options within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a new member so this topic may have been covered before. The closest large city to me has a very high crime rate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am a new member so this topic may have been covered before.

The closest large city to me has a very high crime rate and frequent carjackings.

Assuming I am in my vehicle with door locked and threatened by someone with a drawn weapon wanting to carjack it and my keys have been dropped to floor by me before this happened, what is the minimum caliber postol and type of bullet is needed to penetrate the car window from me to the perp.

I presume FMJ bullet might be best but do not know for certain.

Advice re minimum caliber and type of bullet would be appreciated.

Advice like drive off from the scene or I should not drop my keys is not what I am looking for here.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

Senior Moderator
    If they are already pointing a gun at you you might not want to draw you gun.

As far as shooting through windshield I just use my standard carry ammo (124 gr GoldDots) and don't worry about it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Looking at your signature, I see you already have the LCP in .380 w/ crimson trace. Since it's your daily carry, I'd say stick with that; it's what you know.

HP's will penetrate your side window glass just fine at that range, and still stop when they hit the BG instead of continuing downrange.

Of course now that I'm looking for it I cannot for the life of me find the article I'm trying to reference that concludes that HP's maintain trajectory / bullet integrity better when penetrating automotive glass.

(Please feel free to correct):

HP's rely on hydraulic pressure to initiate their expansion. When they make contact with skin / other materials that "seal" their noses, they rip themsevles apart. The bullet whould remain largely intact on it's way through the glass.

- Now, all that said, that crimson trace might be adequate enough to ward off the would-be carjacker (very spooky to have that little red dot on your torso). BUT; you mentioned that he already had a weapon drawn. IDK man, if the BG already has his weapon drawn and aimed, it might be in your best interest NOT to draw and just let him have the car.

EDIT - RemingtonMilitary.com

There's a good place to start.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My G23 rests in my drivers side door panel when I travel. It's pretty easy to simulate opening the door while drawing it out of concealment. Hope I never have to find out for real.

A friend of my dad use to own a junk yard. And before cars were sent to the shredder, we were allowed to use them for target practice.

From the inside out, any caliber 380 up should have no problem penetrating the side glass or door. Don’t forget the door because once the glass is up, shooting through the door is easy.

The windshield is a different story. Constructed of multi layers, your bullet would lose allot of its zip penetrating.

From the outside in it’s the same for the side windows, but the windshield becomes allot harder to penetrate. I’ve seen 38 specials (none +P) bounce off, and while a 9mm +P, 357 Mag, 45 Auto will go right through, the point of impact can change considerably.

VIP Member
    Raise your hands, leave the car, walk away. I don't care who you are, you will not make a smooth drawing of your weapon either form holster or center console before you get a couple of new ventilation holes courtesy of the carjacker. Outside the vehicle you stand a better chance of survival. Car can be recovered, perforated vital organs take longer time and cost more.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Raise your hands, leave the car, walk away. I don't care who you are, you will not make a smooth drawing of your weapon either form holster or center console before you get a couple of new ventilation holes courtesy of the carjacker. Outside the vehicle you stand a better chance of survival. Car can be recovered, perforated vital organs take longer time and cost more.
    A couple of months ago we had a guy in Atlanta that ventilated a car jacker multiple times in the chest while exiting the car. He died on the scene. The police were impressed with his marksmanship. No charges were filed against the shooter.

So it can be done......but I do tend believe that if the BG has the drop on you most of the time it doesn't end well for you.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    +1
    The idea is not to play under the BG rules but your own which means cheat to win. If you act like your average sheep and the BG lets you move to a better position (leaving the car) for you to engage, all the better. If you go rambo and try to draw while still strapped to the seat, you will lose. Self defense has one rule: Stay Alive at the end of the situation. To achieve this last point, you may have to use the firearm (worse case scenario) or not (You lose your vehicle) but remaining alive is so much more important.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I was thinking about this the other day too. We had taken an old windshield out of a car that was to go out with the trash anyway. So I set it up with 2 plastic gallon milk jugs full of water, in line, at about 10ft in front of the winshield.
    I shot 2 rounds with my 9mm. The first round was a Remington 124 grain MC: it went thru the glass , into the 1st jug & out the side. The second round was a Remington +P 115gr JHP: it went thru the glass, straight thru the 1st jug into the 2nd jug before coming out the side.
    It was a fun experiment to see for myself what happened, and I now carry +P in my clip & practice with the others.

Since the Ruger LCP is what you are carrying, I would go with the Corbon DPX load. This one has good penetration and expansion properties. Of course with the .380 ammo situation the way it is you may have trouble finding any DPX ammo.

I agree with the others, if he has the drop on you, let the jerk have the car - it can be replaced - you cannot.
    God bless our troops!

Another interesting consideration if you're forced to fire through the windshield . . .

The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #1 - Windshields Inside/Out - Page 1
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

VIP Member
    If the BG has drawn on you first, let him be in control. Get out, then fire on him while he's entering or closing the door. You'll have a better chance of survival, and a better draw and shot. Also you'll have the element of surprise then.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Give him the car (turn off the engine), as he's getting in and focusing on the key...ventilate him!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Try .557 T-rex

Perhaps, if he hasn't yet drawn but he is in the process of doing so, or something (yea I know this is a stretch), you may be able to get the jump on him by opening your door as hard as you can, hopefully knocking him back or onto the ground. Then you can use force at that point.

Of course, this is one of those things that sounds plausible in my mind, but probably very difficult in real life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links