In reference to closed thread - Situation tonight! Weapons Cleared Holster

This is a discussion on In reference to closed thread - Situation tonight! Weapons Cleared Holster within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to thank everyone for their contribution to my thread here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-holsters.html I work so much that I do not get home early enough ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

I wanted to thank everyone for their contribution to my thread here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-holsters.html

I work so much that I do not get home early enough to respond as I wish I could and I cannot visit this site while at work.

I hope it gets unlocked and can continue.

However, if it doesn't, I wanted to let everyone know that I have read every post, some more than once and I am contemplating your thoughts as to my actions that night.

Right or wrong, I can guarantee that, placed in the same situation again, I will probably act similar.

Still, I hope things can remain civil in that thread and it will reopen.

Thank you
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Moderator
    I closed the thread for various reasons.

Of note though,right or wrong, you did what you felt you needed to do and you had the gumption to act in spite of the potential dangers involved.

For that, I would like to thank you for not standing by when you thought someone needed help. There are many, many people that would have refused to do anything to get involved and used various reasons to justify their inaction.

FWIW, thankyou Sir, for having the courage to act.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Glad you feel that the thread has been somewhat helpful in your post-action! And I'm especially glad that you posted your experience, this sort of thing is what is really great for this board. It makes us think beyond the everyday and possibly prepare for that rare day when something does come up.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

And thank you as well.

I am not opening another avenue for the discussion to continue here. I genuinely wanted to thank everyone for their participation. It went a lot farther than I expected.

Threads where a situation like this happens are indeed valuable to us all regardless of the outcome, good or bad, right or wrong.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

It's easy to look at someones post and shoot holes through it when it is not happening to you. That said I have an intolerance for people committing violent acts on another person, specially women and children. Although I have never had to use a weapon to defend anyone I have put my head on the proverbial chopping block to restrain physically. Your actions were in good faith to aid someone you didn't know and that says a lot about your character. Good luck and God bless
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Ditto on the thanks for posting and regard toward doing _something_ rather than shrugging it off and doing nothing at all.

Additionally thank you for posting at all to debrief and up front stating that you were open to review and discussion. We as a community need more of these type posts and discussion opportunity for the betterment of us all.

Thanks,

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Until you are physically there you really don't know what you will do.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Want to determine who's a good Fireman..... when a house is on fire, they run toward it while everyone else is running away from it. In an emergency, I have seen people literally run the other way, rather than help or assist.

I know which I am. Now, we know which you are too. Welcome to the club.

+1

There are many cowards out there.. I am glad to hear you stepped in to help. Reading through that thread made me really think about who on here has my respect.

Good to have you here!

Jonathan

Thank you very much!

I didn't see the original thread but since reading it now, I will add my voice to those who say thank you for acting when you thought someone was being kidnapped. This country would be a hell of a lot better off if more folks like you were out there.

I feel that I would have acted in a similar manner had I been in the same situation. And I honestly think you and Jason handled it well. The police obviously thought so as well since they did not feel the need to charge you with anything.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

BTW in the other thread the commentary was not about cowardice nor action versus inaction (?).

The debate was largely in regard to tactics as in how, by what manner, and to what legal limit _action_ could and should be made.
    I do not recall anyone from the original thread suggesting that no action at all should be made. The debate was around how to go about doing so better.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    BTW in the other thread the commentary was not about cowardice nor action versus inaction (?).

The debate was largely in regard to tactics as in how, by what manner, and to what legal limit _action_ could and should be made.
    I do not recall anyone from the original thread suggesting that no action at all should be made. The debate was around how to go about doing so better.

- Janq
    Not entirely true. "Somebody" in the closed thread suggested that by acting as he did, Tally committed a felony; which, of course, is a complete load of baloney. Under the applicable state law, Tally acted completely lawfully--he reasonably believed that a kidnapping or other felonious assault/battery was occurring and used the threat of deadly force to stop it, exactly as the applicable state law permits.

Over and beyond that, Tally made like a sheepdog that day. Bravo for that. If more men (and women) decided that enough is enough and acted like sheepdogs every day, I would bet my next year's salary that crime rates would drop like rocks.

There are variations on this saying, and its origins are murky, but it is absolutely dead-on: All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing. For far too long we as a society have been a "don't-wanna-get-involved, none-of-my-business, I-might-get-hurt" bunch of pansies, and the thugs have been able to run rampant--turning some parts of some cities into virtual "no-go" zones, even for the police.

That's wrong. And it is time for "good men" (and women) to stop just standing by and letting the thugs get away with it.

Outstanding work, Tally. Don't let anybody tell you differently.

Just my .02..........
    I would have taken the van with headlights on target, it for cover and it's load close to me, but it's easy to say that from here.
    I'm with whole groups comments in this thread so far.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq
    I agree that was my intention but, in my opinion, it was far from what I got in reply by several. Most were, however, along the line of the responses I figured I would get.

Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    Not entirely true. "Somebody" in the closed thread suggested that by acting as he did, Tally committed a felony; which, of course, is a complete load of baloney. Under the applicable state law, Tally acted completely lawfully--he reasonably believed that a kidnapping or other felonious assault/battery was occurring and used the threat of deadly force to stop it, exactly as the applicable state law permits.

Over and beyond that, Tally made like a sheepdog that day. Bravo for that. If more men (and women) decided that enough is enough and acted like sheepdogs every day, I would bet my next year's salary that crime rates would drop like rocks.

There are variations on this saying, and its origins are murky, but it is absolutely dead-on: All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing. For far too long we as a society have been a "don't-wanna-get-involved, none-of-my-business, I-might-get-hurt" bunch of pansies, and the thugs have been able to run rampant--turning some parts of some cities into virtual "no-go" zones, even for the police.

That's wrong. And it is time for "good men" (and women) to stop just standing by and letting the thugs get away with it.

Outstanding work, Tally. Don't let anybody tell you differently.
    Thank you as well for your reply and support! However, I would like for this thread not to go the way of the other and get closed. I didn't post this one for continuing comment and debate.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Just my .02..........
    I would have taken the van with headlights on target, it for cover and it's load close to me, but it's easy to say that from here.
    I'm with whole groups comments in this thread so far.
    We were in close proximity of the "truck" that held the weapons load. We were maybe 20 feet from our truck and about 20 feet from the "suspects" van. Again, there was no time for digging a foxhole, setting up a bunker, moving into cover, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links