Today At Sam's Club

This is a discussion on Today At Sam's Club within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I had a two hour class in tactical shooting, shoot from the draw, situation awareness, moving and approaching targets. Great class. Today my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today At Sam's Club

Today At Sam's Club

Last night I had a two hour class in tactical shooting, shoot from the draw, situation awareness, moving and approaching targets.

Great class.

Today my wife and I are going into Sam's Club for some shopping at 2:30 PM.

Nice neighborhood, sunny day, lots of people and no shady charcters to be found.

My wife heads into the store and I go about twenty feet to my right to get a cart. A lot of people around.

As I get to the cart with myback to the entrance I feel a very strong bump and an arm snakes quickly around my weak side, around my neck and a voice says "Gimme all your money".

Whoa, my weak side is trapped by a big guy and as I am going into the FBI sweep to my weapon the voice start to laugh.

It is my veterinarian, about 4 inches taller and twenty pound heavier than I am, laughing his butt off.

He says "Man, you should have seen the look on your face!"

He gives me a big bear hug and as he is pulling away I pull his hand across my strong side and say to him "Yeah, that was really close."

He instantly realized I was armed and his laugh was a little weak. He turned to his wife and son and said "I guess I really scared him." (saving a little face)

I don't think he will pull that again.

I shudder to think what might have happened had it been at eight in the evening and the entrance was not so busy.

Taught him a lesson and also let me know that even in a friendly venue you must always be on your game.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

2. Remove Ads

Your vet is a lucky man that things ended with some chuckles rather than some "other" way. I'm not too sure I would have pulled his hand across your concealed firearm. I'm also not too sure I would call Sam's Club a friendly venue. My situational awerness is always peaked at places like Sam's Club and Walmart.

Glad things ended up without major incident.

Never pays to be in condition white...

VIP Member
    A lesson learned about not playing practical jokes.

Bad joke.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

I wonder if his wife asked him about his stained underwear she had to wash
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Did your vet know previous to this incident that you carry? Perhaps he would not have pulled a prank like this had he known. (I'm not condoning telling everyone, just a thought.)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Did your vet know previous to this incident that you carry? Perhaps he would not have pulled a prank like this had he known. (I'm not condoning telling everyone, just a thought.)

I agree with "Always carry, Never tell"

We are pretty close but he didn't know I carry.

I felt after that it was a good time to let him know he can't play games all his life.

I'll see him this week and 'splain it to him.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

In this day and age the joke was in poor taste IMHO. I think you acted appropriately.
    God bless our troops!

Well being a Vet he could always do a quick surgery on himself, If he needed.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

So why didn't you use your BUG or Knife?

You had no reason to suspect that it was your Vet and reasonably thought you were being mugged, if I am reading your story correctly. I will say, that in this case, everything worked out for the best.

I would, if I were you, use this as a learning expirience and look at what you could do better and consider how and what you carry as well. Nothing test equipment, and it's placement, like the real thing. This is about as close as you can get to the real thing. In fact, I believe you thought it was the real thing.

Just because you were caught "flatfooted" doesn't mean you can't respond. It just means you have a lot of obstacles to overcome. I'll let you in on a little secret. You are always caught "flatfooted". Your gun is not a "Good Luck" charm used to ward off evil, don't carry it like it's a Rabbit's Foot.

Biker

Agreed Biker ^^

In fact my very first thought was for me if this had been me the person unknown to me would have found himself stabbed in the upper thigh or face. Period. In front of his wife and kid, which then would be no joke at all for anyone.
    I would not have gone for my gun as a primary, and I always carry a knife...gun or no gun.

Then I skip forward to the last page and boom I see your post. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

GMTA

VIP Member
    BikerRN........excellent point

Everything can be a learning experience.......let nothing be wasted.

Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

BTW, for those who do not carry a knife or are physically unable to deploy same from concealment at all if even quickly there is a second and just as functional method.

Using the edge of your shoe heel (not the entirety/flat of your sole) lift your good/strong leg as high as is possible and then very quickly with God's fury stomp your heel down and into the top bridge of the foot at the person holding you from behind. Either foot does not matter. Just be sure to get the foot good and solid and I mean stomp down like your life depends on it...because it does.

Below is a picture of a human foot in skeletal and muscle make up

Crush, smash, and break their foot using the thickest most dense part of your own foot and shoe design which is the heel.
    A BG with one foot is a BG who cannot stand muchless follow nor chase you further. And the pain would be excruciating regardless of how much larger in muscular size/build the BG might be.

If the top of the foot is not available or possible to aim for then secondarily go for the toes, big toe being preferable as it is what is used to provide balance and direction when standing or running.

Feet and foot bones are small, many, and relatively easy to break.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links