Defensive Carry banner

Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road? (actual scenario)

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  RemMod597 
#1 ·
About two days ago my girlfriend and I needed to make a late night run around 11:00pm to kinko's because I needed to ship some projects off and print a few things out for the next day. I was planning on spending the night at her house and we had just finished dinner at my place so we both got in our separate cars to leave. Her house is on the way to kinko's so we were going to drop off my car and keep going in hers. I was in the lead on the drive home and about 3 blocks from her house I pulled up to a stop sign with her right behind me. The area that we stay in is a historic one so there are some areas that are poorly lit as a result of street lights being too far apart, this particular block was lit on either end but the middle was dark. It was at this point that I noticed a totally still shadowy figure standing in the middle of the road. At first it looked like the guy from " i know what you did last summer" because it seemed as if he was wearing some type of full length jacket with a hood on. Once he realized we were at the other end of the block he started to walk diagonally towards me and the side walk. I was on alert mainly because I couldn't tell if it was some masked man or just a regular person that I couldn't quite see. By this time I was able to make out what they figure was wearing... a full body chicken suit :blink:. for a brief second i thought oh that's no big deal, its just some idiot having fun in a costume. It wasn't until my girlfriend ( who couldn't see any of this since she was behind me) started honking at me that i moved from yellow to orange. As soon as the guy heard her honking he transitioned from walking along the sidewalk to walking directly at me with his right arm fully extended. He was still some what covered by shadow and I could not clearly see if his hand was empty or not. At this point I put my car into 1st gear and griped my xd 45 compact located on my right hip. My first instinct was to haul a** outta there but at the end of the next block the light was red and I didn't want to have a nut case with a gun behind me while im stuck at a red light. I also realized that my girlfriend behind me probably had no idea what was going on and if he started to shoot or my leaving caused him to open fire I didn't want her to be left behind with nothing in between her and the possible gunman and her being an easy target since she would have been caught completely off guard. I kept my eyes locked on the guy and made up my mind that if i saw anything resembling a weapon or if he became any more threatening than he was that i would draw my weapon and be prepared to fight. Fortunately only moments later he made it to the next street light and i could see that his hand was empty. I still waited a moment or two for the next light to change so i wouldn't have him at my back while I was stopped. Just as I was leaving the guy started to kind of dance around and make stupid gestures from the corner across the street. When we made it to my girlfriends house I told her what happened and after my adrenaline stomped pumping the story was a bit comical. Anyway when i told my sister the story she thought i over reacted a bit but what do you guys think? would you have handled things any differently?

See less See more
#2 ·
wow, thats a nice wall of text but anyways sounds like you reacted like I think i would. If i see some shadowy figure walking in my general direction I would go on alert. If he raises his arm in my direction and i cant see whats in his hand im going to prepare for the worse and try to get out of there. glad it was some just some chicken man walking across the road and not something else. Anyways good job on being alert and aware of your surroundings...stay safe

#3 ·
My first instinct was to haul a** outta there but at the end of the next block the light was red and I didn't want to have a nut case with a gun behind me while im stuck at a red light. I also realized that my girlfriend behind me probably had no idea what was going on and if he started to shoot or my leaving caused him to open fire I didn't want her to be left behind with nothing in between her and the possible gunman...
first, there are no red lights or traffic laws if someone is trying to kill you.

second, have a talk with your GF so that she'll know what to do in the future and won't be totally clueless.

Sounds like you handled it okay though...you were ready in case something happened.

#8 ·
yea me and the gf have had a few talks about SD situations, shes much more aware than she used to be. I was more concerned about her being caught off guard because I was blocking her view of what was happening

heres the exact suit he was wearing.

What kinda chicken suit,The Thomas Cleghorn Leghorn one or the Chicken suit Richard Pryor wore in Stir Crazy

Attachments

#5 ·
I fought my way thru that wall-o-text too.

Can't say I would have done it any differently. I think you did good staying close to the GF.

When Chicken Man raised his hand, he was probably doing it to signal to you that he was crossing the street and for you to stop until he made it across. He probably had no idea what raising an arm to a sheepdog signifies.

One of the SD schools, Thunder Ranch I think, says this about shooting from a car: "If you're gonna drive, don't shoot; if you're gonna shoot, don't drive." (I'm paraphrasing there.)

#6 ·
Crazy chicken people. I probably would have reacted in the same manner. Also, I would have flipped a bish and waved at my GF to follow me then proceeded down to the next block to go around this crazy chicken person. I would then call the local PD and say there is a crazy person in a chicken suit dancing around in the dark. Who knows he could be drunk, wander into traffic and getting hit injuring innocent motorists.

In drivers class they taught me not to avoid hitting animals in the road. :rofl: :rofl:

#11 ·
The only thing that you might have done differently was to use your cell phone to let your girl friend know what was going on. When in doubt Act. Run the light if necessary and have your gun ready just in case that there is a problem.
My thoughts exactly, get her on the cell and tell her to follow you and not to stop unless you do.

#12 ·
Dude does your key board have an "Enter" key, ever thought of using it?:image035:

Good post and good responces.

Drive or Fight

Fight or Drive

Traffic laws when your life is threatened? Pray no one gets hurt, but get out of danger and beg for forgiveness for any infraction.

I believe you did the right thing with your girlfriend behind you not knowing what was going on. She would have been thrilled with you taking off like a madman leaving her exposed.

Stay alert.

#13 ·
I hate it when that happens! If I had a nickel for every time a chicken suit wearing person walked toward me late at night I would be a wealthy person...OK, it has never happened to me...yet.

You just can't make this stuff up folks. So many weirdos and quacks out there.

I think you did well. I would have had the weapon in hand and at the ready in my lap. I have done this several times when the situation was unclear and in orange alert.

#14 ·
I wanted to call her but I thought that it would distract me from paying attention to what he was doing. I know it seems like it was a long drawn out ordeal but the whole thing took place in about 45 seconds to a minute from start to finish. I think by the time i got my phone out and dialed her number things could have escalated ( if he were armed) and I would have had a hand tied up with my phone. I was also just about to draw and rest the XD on my lap but it was at that moment that his hand made it into the light and I saw there was nothing there.
Also sorry about the block of text next time ill implement the wonderful world of paragraphs.:embarassed:

#19 ·
I think there is something saying that using a vehicle is a no no... but I'm not sure about this. Personally I would rather not hit a person with my car, wouldn't hold up to it to well. I guess if I was in a truck I wouldn't think twice though.

Sorry can't read stuff like that.

(voice of Shatner in pain) Needs... Paragraphs... Can't... Uhhh.
LoL. Classic.

#20 ·
It is really Benton Harper, a.k.a. Chicken Man! (He's everywhere! He's everywhere!)

(Sorry if this makes some of you feel old...:smile:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.