Thief under carport this a.m.

This is a discussion on Thief under carport this a.m. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a lot to learn. Looking back, I feel like I made too many mistakes. 5:55 am. I had just put my feet on ...

Thread: Thief under carport this a.m.

I have a lot to learn. Looking back, I feel like I made too many mistakes.

5:55 am. I had just put my feet on the floor. Wife is in bathroom drying hair. We have on of those cheap driveway alarms. Anyway, the alarm goes off. Honestly, I didn't think a whole lot about it because every now and again a dog will activate it. Plus, our dog was quiet. I got up and walked to the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee. I took a quick glance out the kitchen door. The kitchen door lead to our car port. I see a man walking down the driveway towards the house. I ran back to the bedroom and grabbed my Hi-Point 9mm. I ran back to door. The bg was under the carport trying to munipulate getting one our bicycles. I flipped the light on and made him aware that I was threre and I was armed. Wife was on phone calling 911 while all of this was happening. He was quiet startled to say the least. He hauled buggy with the bike. Once I could see he cleared the driveway, I stepped outside and screamed, "I got you, i"m coming after you". Sheriff department was there in 15 mins and took report.
    We found the bike not 100 yards from the house on the side of the road. I would say from the looks of it, he busted his arse. Alls well. We're safe and we have the bike back. However, I wish I had not ignored the alarm and more importantly, went to the door unarmed the first time. I'm learning.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you did o.k. Maybe next time call 911 and don't alert the BG , at least till he is leaving.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

A bike isn't worth killing or getting killed over. I think you did just fine. You and the wife are ok. That's what matters. Keep your eye out. He might be back. The wife is scared, nows the time for a new gun around the house! LOL Good Luck!!
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Sounds like you did fine, but as you say, gained some valuable lessons in always be aware and armed.

My dog would have chewed the guy into pieces too small for the ME to identify. I'd have a talk with your dog if I were you. LOL
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    This raises an issue of how to "alarm" a carport or garage. I have security cameras in the garage and can see what is going on in there, but have never quite been satisfied with what I see as possible alarms.

While I agree with the view that the bike isn't worth hurting or being hurt over, this guy was more than a casual bike thief. The bike may have been an apparent target, but he could also have been in wait for one of you to open the door so he could gain entry.

I've twice had bikes stolen from my open garage while I was in the home. In one instance the people I suspected were later (a year later) arrested for armed robbery of a pizza delivery guy. In the other case, it was kids who played hooky from school and grabbed the bike. They were caught almost instantly because someone saw kids out of school and called the cops.

The pity, had I seen them "admiring" the bike they took I'd have likely offered it to them as a present; we were "fixin" to throw it out.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I think ya did alright. I'm sitting here at work panicked because I didn't watch my garage door all the way closed.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I think ya did alright. I'm sitting here at work panicked because I didn't watch my garage door all the way closed.
    Great looking dog. If he is at your house I don't think you have to worry about your garage door.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 27th, 2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    Great looking dog. If he is at your house I don't think you have to worry about your garage door.
    Thanks - if he was laying in the middle of the garage, I wouldn't worry.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing your story...I think you did reasonably well under the circumstances. Glad you got your bike back...now the question becomes how to protect further.

Rick

The only thing I would have done different in your case was to call the police and not let the BG know I saw him. Gives more time for the police to get there before he splits. I think you did good though. I guess you'll be paying more attention to that alarm now huh? =p
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

You best believe I will pay more attention to the alarm. I e-mailed the Sheriff today and commended the two officers who arrived so quickly. Also, I informed him that I had just recently (7MAR09) completed CWP class offered by the Sheriffs department. We discussed this very same situation in class. It is why I reacted like I did. Honestly, prior to taking this class, I think I would have gone out the door with weapon in hand. I thanked him for the training. It may have saved a life today. Thank you all for your valuable comments.

Quote Originally Posted by MWatson35 View Post
    You best believe I will pay more attention to the alarm. I e-mailed the Sheriff today and commended the two officers who arrived so quickly. Also, I informed him that I had just recently (7MAR09) completed CWP class offered by the Sheriffs department. We discussed this very same situation in class. It is why I reacted like I did. Honestly, prior to taking this class, I think I would have gone out the door with weapon in hand. I thanked him for the training. It may have saved a life today. Thank you all for your valuable comments.
    I bet you will have made his day. Not very often these guys get shown a lot of appreciation. Way to go

Who is John Galt?

Sponsored Links